Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#154928 07/01/03 10:02 PM
RD Offline OP
OP Offline
Today a very nice family of 5 arrived at the resort where we stay, Belize Yacht Club. We were talking out on the pier here and they asked us if it was normal that a taxi at the airport would refuse a fare to the Belize Yacht Club as it is so close!!!! We were absolutely stunned!!! This family then proceeded to have to walk from the airport to the BYC toting their luggage!!! They didnt know the identity of the taxi driver or anything, and as it is their first trip here, didnt know about the Airport Taxi lineup at the north end of the airstrip! I think it is a total shame that this family's first impression of wonderful AC has been tainted by such a thoughtless taxi driver!!!! And, is not the fare still $5 for any trip within the general area and $10 further south!!! What would the reasoning be to refuse them? Has anyone ever had this happen before?
Most of the taxi drivers here are known to us and have always been so helpful....but have to say that in the past couple of months, there seem to be quite a few around that we have never seen before..... just think it is a shame to have this happen, especially to first time visitors!!

#154929 07/02/03 08:44 AM
i may depend what driver. i've heard of some taxi drivers who will have deals where they have you change your hotel, tell you how much nicer it is where HE recommends. i think that is unethical.

i not saying they are all disreputable, but there may a few bad apples in the bunch.

#154930 07/03/03 02:07 AM
S
S
RD: Seems to me you are blaming the wrong people (random taxi drivers) for the fact that a family arriving to stay at the BYC couldn't get a ride to their hotel (if indeed this is even true; its something I would have to personally see to believe). The fault lies with the condo-tel's management. It's incomprehensible to me that management would not arrange airport transportation for an arriving guest. Even if the guest's arrival somehow fell through the cracks, the airline (Maya Island or Tropic) would certainly have invited the arriving tourist to use their courtesy phone to call for a pickup or the airline desk agent would have made that call herself.
This story sounds a bit suspect to me, but if its true, BYC is the party that would get the black eye.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#154931 07/03/03 10:10 AM
i actually agree with susan, i just wasnt sure (but she would know). i agree, the condotel should arrange for it, you just have to ask.

#154932 07/03/03 12:20 PM
M
M
If the hotel had or arranged the flight arrival info, yes. Otherwise, how could they arrange it. But none the less, I don't understand why any taxi would not take anyone somewhere for the proscribed fee. Makes no sense.

Maya Travel Services
#154933 07/03/03 04:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The sense is in the $$$. Taxi drivers are offered commissions to take guests to certain hotels. A few of the properties even have a huge contest and the taxi with the most rooms booked get a nice little reward-- I hear $1000!!!
And as for courtesy phones, San Pedro only has a few of those. They are very expensive.

#154934 07/03/03 04:53 PM
S
S
Once again: I am reluctant to believe that this story is true. I have not observed San Pedro taxi drivers to be avoiding business. They drive up and down the streets honking at every pedestrian they see walking, looking for business!

But if it is, my response is that any taxi driver who refuses to transport someone without a good reason (customer is drunk, belligerent or obviously has no money, etc.) or tells a potential customer "I'll take you to this hotel but not that hotel" should be stripped of his license. (Who do they think they are, refusing to do business without a bribe? Politicians?)

As to the arriving guest: It matters not whether the hotel/condo/resort owner has "arranged" the flight or not, it is their responsibility to ensure that their guests have a taxi waiting for them. Our manager always does this: the guest emails us his flight info and Nellie has a taxi waiting at the appropriate airstrip. And if for some reason, he's not there when the guest's flight arrives, Maya Island Air and Tropic Air desk staff are happy to call her (and I always give the guests her phone number in case there is some kind of snafu). I have to assume that any tourist accommodation would do the same thing and if they aren't, they need a lesson in how to take care of the tourist. And if the airline notices a guest waiting an unduly long time to be picked up, it would be hoped that they would offer to call. These are basic "take care of the tourists" things that they should not have to be told to do (but maybe some need to be???)

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#154935 07/03/03 06:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Susan,
They SHOULD be stripped of their licenses for several things before this..... speeding, knocking bikers off of their bikes (and not stopping), hitting pedestrians (including children)..... It's simply not going to happen in San Pedro. And what license do you mean??? The drivers license??? And who will do this? There is simply no policing of the taxis, that's why San Pedro is like it is right now. I have heard at least one very prominent businessman in San Pedro say a driver has threatened him for suggesting some traffic enforcement.
Yes, most hotels have certain taxis that they use almost exclusively. And we do try to arrange the pickups for the arrivals, but there are snafus in the system. I've personally heard several of our guests say the drivers tried to talk them into going to other properties, even just coming in from a daily outing. Our driver keeps us pretty up to date on who is paying what commissions, etc. It's not like it's a big secret.
Cheerz!

#154936 07/03/03 06:37 PM
E
E
Check out the Chamber of Commerce. They are working hard to resolve this issue.

#154937 07/03/03 06:49 PM
If there is truth to this story in the first place, is it possible that it was merely a miscommunication?

For example, perhaps the driver was already there to pick up someone specific. And the tourists had just come off the plane into a new environment after a long trip. They might have been in a bit of culture shock and somewhat harried. The driver may have first thought that he could whip them up there quickly and come back for his trip, but on quick reflection, he realized that was not a good idea. He may have tried to express that but the tourists thought he meant he outright refused to take them.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 141 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.