Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#294047 08/20/08 05:18 PM
OP Offline
Yesterday, while driving north over the bridge, there were 3 children (1 boy, 2 girls) no older than 5 or 6, torturing a puppy. This was on the left side at that little store. The puppy was trapped on top of a table and was SCREAMING, not just yelping or crying.

The 3 were taking turns kicking, stomping, and slapping the puppy that was no more than 5 months old (and laughing).

Tourists in golf carts were yelling from the bridge for the kids to stop.

We stopped and told the kids in both English & Spanish that this was very bad. Where's your mother? Who's dog is this? We got just a shrug and a "smirk."

I grabbed the puppy, gave it food & water, counted the ticks I took off, and gave it to SAGA with some cash to cover expenses. I've never seen a happier animal.

What the hell is wrong in this world that little kids could be so cruel? Is there nobody we can turn to that handles animal abuse? I think it's time for a dog-catcher/animal-police.

Sorry to rant, but this was bad. Now I hear the owner/daddy is hunting us down demanding his dog.

Amy B.

Thank you for saving that poor creature.

good for you,someone should put those kids on that table and take turns torturing them and let them see how they would like it!!!!!! I know this sounds harsh but a dog is an innocent creature and looks to us humans for protection. It makes me sick that someone would allow their kids to do such horrible things to a puppy!!!!!!!!!!!! The parents are really the ones that should be put on the table and poked at. They must have shown their kids that this type of behavior is okay!!!

Last edited by cherylvalentine; 08/20/08 09:14 PM. Reason: added more input

love like you've never been hurt, work like you don't need the money,dance like no one is watching
Those children were once innocent as well and have learned a behavior from some place during a dark time in their short lives. I am quite thankful for Amy stepping in and saving the dog and for letting those children know that their actions were more than just inappropriate. May the parents and others use this as a teachable moment for the children and not lay the blame on the people that stepped in to stop the torture.

It's great to be .....

OP Offline
Thanks for the support....you never know how your actions will be taken on your "adopted island." Some suggested that I should have spanked the children, but I realize that the children must have learned these actions from their parents or other adults.

And, I would never physically discipline some other's child. Although, I'm not against being verbal - as today a young bicycler hit an older woman pretty good, but just kept on going. We were in a cart and caught up to him and I gave him a good verbal lashing.

Anyway, quite a few rough days, but my spirits are still high. If this is your home, then you have to be pro-active in your community.

Amy

FYI: I've been visiting for 18 years, but am a permanent resident as of several months ago. Just so that you didn't think I'm a hit-and-run "do-gooder".

Last edited by flip flop; 08/20/08 06:25 PM. Reason: Resident - NOT tourist
May I suggest you bring this to the attention of the Mayoress if you can get her at the Town Board? They do listen to visitors who are upset by something.

Way to go Amy! You did the right thing.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
L
L
YAY! Amy, the world needs more people like you. Animal abuse is one of the worst thing I can think of. WAY TO GO GIRL! and the kids should be in trouble regardless of age. Teach them now before they do it to another animal or a human.

Can I get a HUGE AMEN for Amy!!! My hat is off to you! Thank you, thank you, thank you for saving that puppy. My advice is if and when the father catches up to you, I'd stand toe to toe, look him in the eye and let him know, under no such circumstances should that type of behavior be tolerated by children or adults... especially to a defensless puppy..
I understand that children do learn "certain" behaviors from adults (parents, family members) but they should also be taught the ways of proper treatment of animals.... (like a good and proper swat the the nether region) I've been known to get in a few faces around here for some mistreatment problems...
Kudos to you Amy, keep ever vigilant.

Take the road less traveled
I couldn't agree more DCG. So here's an "Amen"!

Proper kudos to Amy!

It's great to be .....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 351 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.