Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Because of so-called "big boxes" and online stores, for many, only price is relevent. Undisputedly mass-marketers know the maximum price the market will allow and still contrive to manipulate it. Successful independent merchants don't compete with these outfits and must carefully consider their margins. When possible, dealing with an individual merchant affords the consumer invaluable advice and service for which others charge an extended service premium. People use different criteria when making purchases and they can be personal, yet business for smaller operations can become very personal. Sorry, this didn't start out to be a rant, and not an indictment of anyone's buying habits. At the least, it would be a kindness not to knowingly ask a retailer to service something he sells that you got elsewhere. Maybe this is part of what small business people would like to say but don't because it would sound "whiney". Shouldn't we try to buy locally while we still can?

When I'm in San Pedro, I buy locally. When I'm not in San Pedro, I buy where I am or I might on ocassion buy from a "big box" or an "on line" store. Hope that's OK with you.

If a local business in San Pedro, has a service department, one would assume that they are willing to service items that have been purchased elsewhere. Are you suggesting that if (just for example) I've purchased my dive gear here at home, over many years, and that if something breaks whilst I'm diving in San Pedro, I shouldn't get my gear serviced whilst in San Pedro, because I didn't buy it there in the first place?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

T
Texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
OK with me, seashell. Don't even concern yourself (just for example) who fiddles with your dive gear.

Texican, that was a silly thing to say really. And I mean "really".

Here at home, I do my best to ensure that the best technician is looking after my gear. When I have a gear problems in San Pedro, I try to do the same.

You'll excuse me if I buy my gear locally and have it serviced locally? Regardless, when one is on a dive trip, there's generally a lot of diving going on, and chances of a gear problem increases. I'm not going to quit diving, just to make sure that I get my gear back to my local shop (in Canada). Assuming, I'm diving in San Pedro at the time, then I'll use a San Pedro tech that I trust.

Last edited by seashell; 11/15/09 11:44 PM.

T
Texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
OK, I'm sorry.

No worries. Probably just a misunderstanding. This is a very flat medium and misunderstandings can arise.

Thanks for being so gracious.

Using services from a retailer that did not sell you the product generates income for them, so why should they care. If it is a warranty issue the manufacturer reimburses the retailer to provide the warranty service, so it is a win-win.
On top of that, I would hate to head out on a vacation thinking, well I can just get it there only to find out it is not available there. i.e out of stock, limited selction, etc.

Play, Love, Share and Enjoy - it doesn't last forever make sure you get the most out of it.
T
Texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Mass-marketers don't have customers or service departments. They have "shoppers" and they will throw away the shopper's junk and give them a new one *if* they can produce a receipt.

Some businesses/services are island-centric, many not. Since often what a small outfit has on offer may be had just about anywhere, what they're really selling is service. Everyone is a potential customer for these merchants who offer service after the sale, so it's good business to be as helpful as possible; but such help must come at a substantial margin when it was not included in the sales price. If they are in the repair business they probably advertise that. They may or may not deal with warranty hassles but they usually don't have to.

This theory is all but a thing of the past here in the states, but since everything nostalgic is what many of us hold dear about remote places like Belize, let us remember to bring with us as much custom as we can.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.