Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#157342 09/23/03 02:11 PM
OP Offline
I just wanted to say Axe 'Em from one 'Jack to another!

SFASU class of 1994 here. I saw your post on the brush with fame thread. Did you know that Crossroads is being torn down and will be a faculty parking lot? So very sad!

#157343 09/23/03 04:14 PM
OP Offline
We tried to get an alumni club up and running here in Austin, but in true slacker-Jack fashion, it never really took off. I'm still in contact with LOTS of my old college buds. I'm actually going to Nac for homecoming this year. I'm meeting up with a bunch of sorority sisters (Alpha Chi Omega). It should be a blast!!

#157344 09/24/03 06:18 AM
I always heard that the best way to get a SFASU graduate off your front porch was to pay for the pizza.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
#157345 09/24/03 07:37 AM
don't know exactly why i read this post...but when i saw that the two of you are in austin i thought i'd tell you that my husband is going there on business for a week, next tuesday...and he's never been there before...

what does this new yorker have in store for him? great weather, i'm sure...any suggestions on must do's if he has some free time? he'll be busy all week but will have evenings and sat. nite and sunday free...

someone just told him the aquarium has $1 beer on thursdays! sadly, he's not a beer drinker!!! but he does like fish!! wink

#157346 09/24/03 11:39 AM
OP Offline
Funny funny, dog. I guess us lawyer Lumberjacks are big-time over-achievers.

Mikell:
I had no idea there was an acquarium in Austin. DOH!

Austin ROCKS. It's so beautiful and laid back and ecclectic.

If he's the sight-seeing type, tell him to take the Austin Duck tour. It's a blast. Tell him to take the tour of the Capitol. It's an amazing building (I used to work there and I miss it!). Tell him to check out 6th street and the Warehouse district to see what the night life is like. He's gotta have TexMex when here's here.

Some great Tex Mex restaurants are as follows:
Maudies (on Lake Austin Blvd) -- Any dish with Tex Mex Heaven sauce is AMAZING
Taco Express (otherwise known as "Crazy Maria's") on South Lamar - FUN place with live music and good, greasy, Mexican food
Matt's El Rancho (a little nicer than the above) on South Lamar - if he goes here he needs to get a "Bob" dip
ZTejas on 6th street is also a fun place to go eat. It's more southwestern food than TexMex, though. And a little micer than the above-mentioned places.
Another fun place to go is Hula Hut. The food is pretty good, and it's right on Lake Austin and has such a fun atmosphere. Wonderful dessert there is tres leches cake. TO DIE FOR!

Some good nice restaurants are:
Castle Hill on 5th street
Jeffrey's on West Lynn
The Bitter End on 4th street
Zoot (can't remember what street it's on, but it's close to downtown)
Wink off of Lamar, I believe

For good live music:
The Pier on Lake Austin has good music, usually, on Fri/Sat/Sunday
Joe's Generic Bar is my favorite place -- it's a blues bar on 6th street
Antone's is a famous live music venue downtown.
Saxon Pub on South Lamar
Continental Club on South Congress

My favorite bars:
The Cedar Door - I believe it's on 3rd street downtown -- to die for Mexican Martini's.
Dry Creek Saloon -- it's off of Mount Bonnell road. This place is a TRIP, and I take all my out of town friends here. One of a kind for sure.

Tell him to go check out Zilker Park and to eat a burger outside at Shady Grove (on Barton Springs Road) on Saturday afternoon.

Well, I think that will take up any free time he may have had. I hope he enjoys Austin as much as I do!

#157347 09/24/03 02:26 PM
Dog - I actually laughed out loud when I read your remedy, that is, after I "GOT IT." No dis intended Miss.

#157348 09/24/03 03:36 PM
turnbun...

thanks for all those insider tips!

the tacos & burgers are definitely his thing...will pass on all this advice...

oh...and someone also told him he can go jet skiing and snorkeling somewhere in austin!!!

in austin????? were they kidding?

#157349 09/24/03 04:05 PM
OP Offline
OH, so you're a traitor, Miss A? Just kidding, I actually thought about transferring to UT, but just couldn't leave my friends. I agree that you have to like the laid back atmosphere of Nac to really appreciate going to school there. I've always preferred smaller, more intimat places myself.

Mikell: I wouldn't think the snorkeling is any good here, but there is a beautiful lake (OK, really a damned up river - the Colorado) called Lake Travis in Austin. You can rent jet skis at a place on the lake that's called Just for Fun. We have lots of Water in this town for such a land-locked location.

#157350 09/24/03 04:09 PM
E
E
She may be thinking of Canyon Lake for snorkling, I know they do scuba there.

#157351 09/24/03 04:31 PM
Ms Apathy: Texas Alps sounds like my kind of place, layed back and eptileptic.

Gone fishing!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 303 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.