Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Cuba(51) is one ranking above Mexico(52) (Belize is 80 and the USA is 12).

Notes:

Human development is about much more than the rise or fall of national incomes. It is about creating an environment in which people can develop their full potential and lead productive, creative lives in accord with their needs and interests. People are the real wealth of nations. Development is thus about expanding the choices people have to lead lives that they value. And it is thus about much more than economic growth, which is only a means -if a very important one -of enlarging people's choices.

Fundamental to enlarging these choices is building human capabilities -the range of things that people can do or be in life. The most basic capabilities for human development are to lead long and healthy lives, to be knowledgeable, to have access to the resources needed for a decent standard of living and to be able to participate in the life of the community. Without these, many choices are simply not available, and many opportunities in life remain inaccessible.

This way of looking at development, often forgotten in the immediate concern with accumulating commodities and financial wealth, is not new. Philosophers, economists and political leaders have long emphasized human wellbeing as the purpose, the end, of development. As Aristotle said in ancient Greece, "Wealth is evidently not the good we are seeking, for it is merely useful for the sake of something else."

In seeking that something else, human development shares a common vision with human rights. The goal is human freedom. And in pursuing capabilities and realizing rights, this freedom is vital. People must be free to exercise their choices and to participate in decision-making that affects their lives. Human development and human rights are mutually reinforcing, helping to secure the well-being and dignity of all people, building self-respect and the respect of others.

http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/ http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
SIN, I read the words and found them very profound.It put me in the mind that they could have been written immediately after the Gettysburg Address was pened. However, catagorizing soverignties numerically within a "comcept" smacks of an expression of "Human Rights Concept" and not "Human Development Concept". The disturbing part that I found was that this numerical listing ranked Belize as #80, while China was ranked #81. Perhaps I have missed the point.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
S
OP Offline
S
Take a look on what data was used to arrive at the ranking. You would think China would have a higher rating being a world power and all.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 318 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.