Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#424370 12/06/11 09:54 AM
P
OP Offline
P
hello.. My husband and I are planning on taking our first trip to Belize this next June and we are really looking forward to it. We have been to Playa Del Carmen many times but decided to do something different this year. We are going to stay on Ambergris Caye (spelling?) and are trying to decide on where to stay.. Two of the places that I have looked at are Banana Beach Resort and Trade Winds resort. Was curious if anyone knew anything about these places? I know they are not luxury and that is fine with us, we are looking for clean and friendly more than anything and decent priced. And also somewhere that we can walk from to many things. Can anyone tell me if these fit that or if not can you susggest someplace? Thank you so much!!

policegirl #424374 12/06/11 10:06 AM
If you mean Trade Winds/ Paradise Villas then that is a great starter place to visit the island. You are in town so don't need to rent a vehicle except to go exploring. It is walking distance to dive shops, gift shops, restaurants, bars etc. You will meet a ton of local folks going about their daily business, kids going to school etc. The fresh bakery is only a few blocks stroll away.

Banana Beach is a neat resort too - it is about a mile and half out of town so it becomes more necessary to have a golf cart or taxi. There are also nearby stores, restaurants etc.

It is tough to compare resorts since everyone is so unique here.

Why not split your time between the resorts?

policegirl #424384 12/06/11 10:48 AM
JZB Offline
I agree. Tradewinds/Paradise Villas is in a great spot for your first trip in getting to know the island. The grounds are nice, with a pool, pier with artificial reef for snorkeling, walking distance to shops and restaurants and Mr. Azueta at the front desk is a super nice guy that will take care of anything you ask for.

Banana Beach is larger and newer property, more hotel-like, and also a very good hotel but you will have a much longer walk to town. Easier to take taxi's or rent a cart.

I would go with Location for this trip. On your next trip to the island (there will most likely be another!) you can pick and choose from experience.

policegirl #424385 12/06/11 10:55 AM
Hello Policegirl....We use to go to Playa Del Carmen often until we found Ambergris Caye. We hope you enjoy the island as much as we have over the years.....With regard to the 2 resorts, I'm a fan of Banana Beach because of the on site restaurant & bar (Monday 2 for 1 Martinis). Even though not in the middle of town, Banana Beach is easy walking distance on the beach into town....Keep in mind we are a little older and more low key than some travelers.

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
policegirl #424386 12/06/11 10:57 AM
Yes, JZB makes a good point....Our first trip was in town and that allowed us to pick and choose our favorite locations for future visits.

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Judyann H. #424406 12/06/11 01:48 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks to you all! I really appreciate it and it sounds like either way we can't go wrong with the two. We are laid back, walking, meeting the locals kind of people... not much into most touristy things lol.. So I guess we will pick our place and book our trip! Thanks again to everyone!! We love Playa Del Carmen but have heard so much about Belize I think we have finally decided to take the jump! Can't wait to get there! How is the weather in June in Belize.. hot I assume.. similar to Playa... smile

policegirl #424411 12/06/11 02:25 PM
JZB Offline
June is hot and sunny! It is the start of our 'rainy season' so you may experience a passing rain shower but they usually only stick around long enough to cool you off a bit. Enjoy!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.