Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
deacon+ Offline OP
OP Offline
Is It cheaper to have machinery on 110 or 220? Is there 220 on the isle?

S
spl Offline
S
good luck on your ventures in SP. Sounds like you loved it and your heart is in it.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I use 110 single phase and 220 both single and three phase. I find 220 single phase the cheapest, but that may just be a quirk of the metering.

It's just like the usa. 110 for most and 220 for dryers and some ac's, etc.

Can't find my plane...
S
S
Pedro and others, You will find that in terms of electrical appliances and such 220 volts will be the cheapest almost eveytime. This is mainly due to the stepdown transformers used in dristribtion. The harmonics of the wire and the load on the system. You will pay a bit more for 220volt equipment but in the long run your machine will run longer and use less provided the system is wired correctly. Don't mix single and triple phase on the same circuit or connect a 3 phase to a single phase line the results would be intresting to say the least. Electricty is a killer but its not the volts its the amps, and with out getting into depth about the relationship of amps, volts, watts, hertz, and proper wiring a 220 device will pull less amps then a 110 device of the same type. Less amps less power consumption less power consumption less cost. A prime example of this is pool pumps or compressors.

I read it on the internet so it must be true.
P
P
Interesting. Since Power is paid for, and measured in kW per hour, and watts are amps x volts how does using 120 or 240 change your bill as lower volts is higher amps and vice versa, according to Mr Ohm. I thought the only difference - other than less chance of killing yourself from a shock (although from personal experience a 240v belt hurts a lot more than a 120v one) was in the longevity of kit through the fact that 240v is slightly more efficient on motors windings as it puts less stress on them and savings were negligible. This is all from a long time back and is just a residual memory somewhere in the back of my head from days long gone and I could be well off the mark but your post sparked some old memories. Get technical with us and I'll see if I can keep up!!!!!!!!

S
S
Ahhh, well the one thing Mr. Oms did not account for in his model is resistance, and it is pure theroy with out interference, on which you assumption is incorrect.. Resistance is as it implys resists. The greater the resistance the more heat produced. Heat is a pitfall. While a physical wire does appear static it is not. Expansion and contraction happen ever so slowly. Some more so than others depending on the quality and gauge of wire. While it seems this is babble this point is heat. Quality and gauge of wire define how many electrons you can push through, just like a garden hose vs a fire hose. Your typical motor has somewhere between 1500 and 2000 complete wrap single wires for each qudrant of a motor. Break one apart and take a look. Now lets bring back in a trig function and look at the actual wave form that electrict travels on A/C or the hertz on which it cycles would be better. Single phase produces a single wave per cycle while three phase has three waves per cycle. Each appliance states the power requirements to function but what does it really run on? DC. So if the transmission of power in A/C because it is more efficent of long distance, the step down for appliance use has to happen in the device it self, it transforms the incomming power into something it can use. A single phase device puts less stress on the internal working than three phase, wave action.
Ok so now we have resistance, wave form transmission and transformation of power into something useful. Back to heat, a motor runs on 120 and the same motor runs on 220 resistance to the flow of electrons is reduced on the 220 motor because there is a larger pipe for the electrons to flow, less resistance less heat more efficent conversion of A/C. Less resistance less ware and tear on a device and a longer life.
With me so far? Why not take it a bit further, the true nature of magnetism and electricity. Is there a link, you tell me.

P
P
....then surely it is all down to the R&D boys and the design of each individual appliance, tool motor etc. Wouldn't simply using a larger gauge wire (or bigger hose!) let more electrons flow causing less heat or loss. Didn't Mr Ohm prove R=V/I. Magnetism and harmonics will be a bridge too far and Brazil are about to kick off so....

S
S
Well you asked for an answer and you have to have the trunk before the tree so....

P
P
True.......and many thanks for todays piece of learning.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 271 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.