Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
Sort of curious about what others think, and since the other thread is locked, let's talk about it here. What's the current property tax rate? Is it the same for foreign property owners? The question about what rate you are willing to pay seems especially interesting. I'll likely be buying property in the next year, and have not considered the taxes yet. Thanks in advance.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
S
S
I've had this discussion many times with many people of all walks and the general consensus is that in almost all cases the property tax is too low.

There are some considerations though, those people who have spent their entire lives on the island, worked hard their entire lives, own their own home but happen to live somewhere that the property value is now so large that they could never afford a market value adjustment.

There has to be some consideration for those people, they never intended for San Pedro to become what it has and they shouldn't be driven from their homes if a property tax increase affects them in a negative way.

If the property taxes increase to market value there needs to be some kind of exemption to prevent hardship to the founders of the island.

Simon, you are right on the mark. Here in KC, we have seen "gentrification" of older neighborhoods that results in increased business development and city services and economic activity of all kinds. All well and good until the taxing authorities decide it is time to re-assess property values and then the folks that stuck it out through the lean years get hammered. A mechanism must be devised that addresses the need to accurately assess property values in a way that takes into account both enhanced revenue to support needed infrastructure as well as the moral necessity of rewarding and preserving heritage, longevity and stability.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
S
S
Both Hawaii and San Diego have well-developed property taxing systems that seem to work fairly. Property is reevaluated and reassessed on a level, uniform schedule, then exemptions are available for primary residence and elderly retired folks.

Of Belize's total tax revenues, only about 1% comes from property taxes.

The bulk (close to 75%) of Belize's total tax revenues come from the GST and import duties, both highly regressive forms of taxation that hit the poor and low-income folks much harder than those better off.

Belize property taxes are very low, but I guess the thought has always been that many Belizeans couldn't afford to pay higher property taxes. Possibly a "homestead exemption" system would be an idea.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
Good ideas and comments, please keep them coming.

Skippy, the rates on the island range from between 1 - 4% of the "assessed" value of the property. Since the assessments in many cases are highly inaccuratly low, the annual property taxes are extremely low. Unfortunately because of the low taxation costs many basic services, amenities and even infrastructure is sorely lacking in this town.

For example, many existing condo complexes pay only $300 Bz per year for the entire complex! Some complexes have begun to be assessed by individual units and the costs run between $150 - 225.00 per unit per year. Many million dollar mansions pay $350 Bz per year. But as I mentioned, there is no rhyme or reason to the assessments, for example I own a vacant lot up the coast that was inaccessible by road and had no power for many years and my taxes are and have been $825. And yet half million dollar villas in the same neighbourhood are paying $500 - shared amongst a few homes. My old house in San Pablo cost only $45.00 per year!

I posed the question - how much would you be willing to pay, or how much do you think you ought to pay because many of the property owners on the caye come from industialised first world nations. These tax payers know how high their property taxes are in those countries, and why.

I am shocked at the absolute thrill I see on some people's faces when they realize that their taxes on a $1m BZ home is only $500 Bz per year. But they still expect the streets to be fixed, a high level of sanitation, security, health care etc. So many complainants are indignant when the streets are impassable or the town trash truck breaks down and can't service all of the areas efficiently. I PAY MY TAXES - you hear them cry. Well, as with most things in life, we get what we pay for.

I seem to recall that if all of taxes are paid each year San Pedro could raise around $3million Belize dollars. To some that may sound like a lot of money, but these days that kind of money doesn't even scratch the surface.

The San Pedro town council receives an annual stipend from the Central Government that amounts to $65K Bz per year. Every time we have a few inches of rain and the streets are severely potholed the cost to fill holes and grade etc. can cost $60K.

The street rehabilitation project is costing millions.

There are many other vital areas of importance that must be addressed.

It looks like our free ride or cheap thrill is over - if we want to improve the general quality of life, health and security in our town, whether this is your full time home or vacation get-a-way, we love this place, we love the people and now we have to start taking more responsibility for our actions and requirements.

Let's do this together! Viva San Pedro!

Jessie, I have to differ with you regarding Hawaii. I have very good friend who are native Hawaiian and the family estate was very extensive. Taxes got to the point where they had to sell off sections at a time just to pay the taxes on the remaining acreage. It finally reached the point where they could not afford the taxes and had to sell to get out from under. This is land that had been in the family for 100+ years (if I remember correctly). Yes, they made money on the sale, a tidy sum since it was loan free, but the point is they did not want to sell, but did not have the income to pay the taxes and were forced to sell., So I would not look to Hawaii as an example IMO.

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
It's my understanding that the BTB collects all of the hotel tax dollars nationwide. That must change to provide more tourist dollars to improve the island.

S
S
Originally Posted by azbob
Jessie, I have to differ with you regarding Hawaii. I have very good friend who are native Hawaiian and the family estate was very extensive. Taxes got to the point where they had to sell off sections at a time just to pay the taxes on the remaining acreage. It finally reached the point where they could not afford the taxes and had to sell to get out from under. This is land that had been in the family for 100+ years (if I remember correctly). Yes, they made money on the sale, a tidy sum since it was loan free, but the point is they did not want to sell, but did not have the income to pay the taxes and were forced to sell., So I would not look to Hawaii as an example IMO.

You missed my point...that a simple primary residence is protected by exemptions...nothing to do with large estate lands and inheritance issues.

Amanda...if you say there is no rhyme nor reason to the tax assessments; perhaps that should be the first thing to get fixed.
A reduction in taxes for the elderly is probably a good thing and like Reaper says...hotel taxes... a large percentage should definetly stay on the island. As for a different tax rate based on how long you have been on the island...that gets complicated. After the all of the above has been fixed and taken care of..then they can consider adjusting rates. Upwards?...yea..probably....gradually.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 323 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.