Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#298374 09/12/08 11:31 AM
OP Offline
I have been applying for a dock permit for some time now. I was under the impression that is cost $50 belize a year (that most people don't bother paying. Anyway I just found out my pier is approved all I have to do is pay a one time $500 fee and $1112 annually!!! I need to get into this governing business, so I can charge people rent on something that they pay to build!! This tax is from Belomopan and has nothing to do with the tax of I think $25 0000 annually that the town board has been talking about. So much for building a dock!!

Carlos

You had the wrong information to start with. Pier permits are typically $800 - 1,000 Bz per year. Plus the one time fee which is usually the cost of the annual pier permit fee.

The pier permit fee simply grants you the right to "lease" an area of the sea bed. It can be revoked at any time if you do not abide by the regulations that are attached to your lease.

You will need to build and maintain the pier. If you want water or electricity you must provide these services yourself. You are not supposed to gate the pier. It is not your private exclusive property as you are required to allow the public access to the pier and grant them permission to land on it.

Anyone know if the town board is still thinking about an extra tax?

Most likely the "first" $500 is the fine for having built a pier without a permit. The others are the annual fees that would have been paid over the time the pier was in place, had you been issued a permit when it was built.
DNR is still in charge of pier permits, collecting fees and deciding what the fees will be. DNR does not want to hand this portfolio over the SPTB. SPTB would like to have it, but cannot take it over unilaterally.

P
P
Mention of dock gates reminds me that they are commonly fitted, and often locked at night. Is this law (gates being prohibited) never enforced? If a gate is fitted and illegally locked, are you allowed to use necessary force to get through it? Because if not then the law is most certainly an ass.

The gate thing is not "a law". It is a clause that appears in most of the pier permits I have read.
Please remembeer that there is a substantial difference between a piece of legislation (aka "law") and terms of a contract (in this case between GOB and an individual regarding a permit to build a pier).

P
P
But I thought that it WAS law that any dock must be available for use by anybody (with one or two caveats)? How can you use a dock which has a locked gate?

Nope, not always or anybody.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.