Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Not sure exactly what it means, but the two people who have run expat/retirement web sites on Northern Belize have left or are leaving Belize.

Margaret Briggs, who ran (and still runs) www.localgringos.com, recently sold her house in Corozal Town and moved to New Mexico. A while back, she was the victim of a home invasion in Coro and often spoke and wrote about increased crime and other problems for expat residents of Corozal. Margaret worked as an archeologist in Belize and had lived in the country for a number of years. I believe she had QRP status, but possibly it was permanent residency.

Rick Zahniser, who operates the www.belizenorth.com web site, is leaving Belize in early October, moving to Arkansas. A couple of weeks ago, his house in Coro was burglarized while he was asleep, and his computer, musical instruments and other valuables taken, and he says he has had an unsettling experience with the local police after reporting the crime. Rick moved to Belize I believe in 1999, or around that time, had his permanent residency, and after a short spell in Colorado a while back had moved back to Coro about a year ago.

I imagine there are a variety of reasons, including personal or family issues, for the departures.

Both web sites are excellent and are a great window on expat and QRP life in Belize. I believe they will stay up at least for awhile.

Sorry to see the webmasters leave, though.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
So sorry to see Rick go.

The Major and I met Rick and his former wife on our first trip to Belize. They were wonderful and imparted a wealth of information to us.

They were/are active in the community. No doubt, Corozal will be the poorer for the departures.

E
E
Why would anyone name their son "The Major"? Just curious. confused

You haven't met his Mother...

and by extension, the 1st offsrping would be The Minor? wink

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
E
E
I'm just happy my Mom didn't name me the private, or the looser, or the dumb a$$, or any number of things. Until I was about 11 years old, I thought my name was Damit. Like, get in here Damit, or Damit, where have you been? :rolleyes:

smile Hi Lan,

Both websites are great,

Thanks for the info. wink

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love Truly, Laugh uncontrollably.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.