Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
marvins Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Can anyone tell me if there is tax on long term rentals more than 6 months in Belize ?

Retired and loving it
JZB Offline
The renter does not pay any tax. The rentee should pay a business tax.

T
T
Don't forget that you need to collect and pay GST as well. The tax rate is 3% on long term rentals but there is a minimum amount which I can't remeber at this time. GST is 10%

M
marvins Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am the renter and will be renting for more than 6 months. My landlord is telling me that I am required to pay tax on my rent for the first 6 months and then no tax. Other people have told me there is no tax to be paid by the renter if more than 6 months.
Any help to clarify this would be appreciated

Retired and loving it
The landlord appears to be trying to pass any tax liability on to you. This topic has been recently discussed at:
//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/324248/Rental_Condo_Owners_Being_Flee.html#Post324248

Happy reading.

Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.
M
marvins Offline OP
OP Offline
M
So if I am understanding your replies correctly being a long term renter for more than 6 months I do not have to pay sales tax ( hotel tax )on my apartment.

Retired and loving it
It might depend on your lease agreement. If you are month to month, then it could make some sense to charge you tax on the first 6 months. If you have a 6 month or longer lease, then it does not IMO.

T
T
GST is only required if rental revenue grosses more than $75,000 BZ per year. Hotel Tax is required if your lease is less than 6 months. I have never heard of a tenant having to pay the business tax of 3%, but I suppose anything is negotiable.

Your Complete Property Management Service
Service is FREE for renters!
www.ThreePalmsProperties.net
JZB Offline
marvins, if you are signing a 6 months lease, you do not have to pay tax. deadserious is correct though, if your lease is month to month you may be liable for 9% tax.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.