AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: snorkelgirl fishes, sharks, rays, turtles - 05/04/06 12:39 PM
OK I'm gonna have to break down and buy a housing for my digital cuz disposables won't zoom!!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cayephotos/album?.dir=/8ad7re2&.src=ph
Posted By: Panther Re: fishes, sharks, rays, turtles - 05/04/06 01:35 PM
Great photo's! You got great shots, especially towards the end with the sharks and rays. Is that you holding the shark? My girlfriend is a little skittish about swimming with the shrks and rays, but I am working on it with her. Perhaps viewing this will serve as good therapy? And I think the disposible worked great. Which brand and type did you use?
Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Wyoming Carla Re: fishes, sharks, rays, turtles - 05/04/06 01:35 PM
cool pics der snorkelgirl! I love the close up turtle and shark shots!
Posted By: Jackie22 Re: fishes, sharks, rays, turtles - 05/04/06 02:29 PM
Awesome! Reminds me of my trip there a month ago... except I didn't bring a waterproof camera. I'll make sure next time!
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: fishes, sharks, rays, turtles - 05/04/06 02:47 PM
Panther,

My daughter, my best friend and I all got to hold the nurse shark. Alphonso instructed us on how to make her comfortable and secure without squeezing. She didn't seem to mind and didn't struggle.

My favorite part of this excursion was holding a fish head so the blue tangs would come nibble off it. I loved being close up with these beautiful fish.

This year I used Fuji underwaters instead of Kodak which I had tried last year. The photo shop lady said perhaps last years had too much heat exposure and blanched out the pics. So this year I brought them home in my carry-on and tried to keep them cool and shaded on the beach.

I can understand your girlfriend's hesitation. Last year I experienced a moment before getting in the water. Then I thought, "I didn't come all the way down here to sit in a boat!!" Once in the water, I was truly amazed at the rush hour traffic of so many fish around me. I loved it! This year, I couldn't get my snorkel gear on fast enough eek
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: fishes, sharks, rays, turtles - 05/04/06 02:49 PM
P.S. Kudos to Angel for the underwater loggerhead photos. I can't take credit, I handed my camera to him.
Posted By: 1BKeeper Re: fishes, sharks, rays, turtles - 05/04/06 04:46 PM
You are a brave lady in the water, snorkelgirl. I like to look but not touch or be touched!!! Thanks for sharing the great photos. I want to BE THERE!
Posted By: CaliBlueFrog Re: fishes, sharks, rays, turtles - 05/04/06 04:57 PM
Great pics Snorkelgirl - I can't wait to jump in the water and see what nurse sharks feel like, "if" we get to hold them? Are they slippery? Next Friday can not get here soon enough! 7 more sleeps!
Posted By: SeaDreams Re: fishes, sharks, rays, turtles - 05/04/06 05:01 PM
Wonderful pics snorkelgirl! I also hesitated before getting in... but LOVED it when I did!

Not such good luck with pictures on our part however. After using a borrowed underwater last year and not very good pics, we broke down and bought a Sea & Sea digital underwater. Worked beautifully the first dive/snorkel... and then wigged out. Turn it on in picture taking mode and it turns right back off, but turn it on in playback mode and it works just fine.

Ah well... under warranty, and we weren't going to let that affect the GREAT trip we had!
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: fishes, sharks, rays, turtles - 05/04/06 05:47 PM
Cali,

The nurse shark feels kinda rough actually. Sorta a real course sandpaperish, although that's not a good description really. Not abrasive, just a very cool texture. Unlike anything else I can relate it to. They feel solid and strong when you hold them.

Now the white underside of the stingray is real slick in contrast. But their topside is rougher. We didn't hold these ourselves. Alphonso held them still so we could touch. Mustn't get near the tail!

You are in for such an adventure. Be sure to talk to all the locals. They are wonderful people and Belize's treasure!
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: fishes, sharks, rays, turtles - 05/04/06 05:51 PM
SeaDreams,

Yeah, too bad we can't "download" our memories, eh?! Hope they do right by you on the camera. And you can always post the pics you DID get, hint, hint smile

I'd like to hear what y'all did on CC. What you enjoyed most there...PM me if you want.
Posted By: Pam&Dave Re: fishes, sharks, rays, turtles - 05/04/06 09:07 PM
Snorkelgirl,
Thanks for sharing your photos. I had no idea that a disposable camera could get such a good shot. Thanks to you, they will be in my suitcase on the next trip. I'll also keep the film as cool as possible. Makes sense.
You are so right about the people of Belize. You can get suggestions on this board, but until you experience a conversation with someone that waits for an answer when they ask, "How are you doing?" you just haven't experienced Belize.
Wasn't Alphonso amazing? He seems to be more comfortable in the water than on land!
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: fishes, sharks, rays, turtles - 05/04/06 11:42 PM
Pam & Dave,

You got that right about Alphonso! Does he have gills or what??

Weren't y'all gonna be at BC's on the 30th? I wonder if y'all were at the next table and we never knew....

I try to explain to folks here at home how half the fun on the trip is mixing with the Belizeans, that San Pedro has retained it's charm as much as possible. I commented to my comrades last Sunday evening as we walked around town that the bicycle left in the street would have been a source of contention in the U.S. But the San Pedranos just took it in stride. Families, kids and dogs milling around just enjoying the night breezes or conducting business.

Or the simple kindnesses they show to tourists. I was sitting on the stoop of my villa, using a plastic brush and bleach I'd purchased at the market to scrub my conch shell. Unbeknownst to me, a local man had watch my labors...soon, he came and lent me a wire brush with a smile. All week long, the Belizeans welcomed us with grace and warmth. You don't find much of that in a resort town in Florida!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board