AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: windyw trip report 29 Jan--13 Feb 05 - 02/21/05 03:12 AM
After a beautiful ride from Belize City to San Pedro on Tropic, got a taxi to The Blue Tang Inn, our home for the next 15 days!! Hugs from all the folks at the Blue Tang, especially Eddie(Bruce Lee), put our stuff in the room, put our shorts on and go to Cholo's Beach Bar. Can't wait to see everyone. See more friends and get more smiles and hugs. Get our drinks(Belikin and rum punch) and sit in front of the bar for a couple of hours and talked with our friends Melanie and Changa. Jerry went out to Amigos del Mar a couple of times to see more old friends and let them know we are back. After a little while, Paisano appears with a gorgeous conch shell, which Jerry bought for $10.00 BZ. He gave Jerry instructions on how to clean the outside and disappeared. Couple of seconds later he was back with a rusty old paring knife that he gave to Jerry, no charge, and more instructions on how to clean. Then he bummed some cigarettes from Melanie and danced away. GREAT start to our trip!! Now off to The Reef Restaurant for dinner and rum punch. As always the food was wonderful.

After a couple of days of sun, rum, Belikins and great food, Jerry decided to go fishing. OK! J Dog will cover this one, since I hadn't been fishing in about 20yrs., I asked Changa to hook me up with his best guide, he said his brother Tomas was very good, We went out about 10 miles on the other side of the lagoon,Tomas was very patient with me as I seemed to give away alot of bait,after quite a few misses I finally got the hang of it,we moved around a lot and ended up with 29 nice snapper and a grouper. We headed back to Amigos after a great 1/2 day of fishing,it was one of the funnest days I'd had in a long time. Tomas offered to clean and give me the fish but I was so thrilled I told him to keep the fish, and gave him a $40 dollar tip, boy did I have a big smile when I got back to the house.

When Jerry got back from fishing, we picked up our golf cart we rented and went to Sweet Basil's for a late lunch. Food was awesome. Drove north a little way, had a drink at the Palapa Bar and headed back to the Blue Tang. Changed clothes and went to Hammock House for Libby's birthday party. Food was great(especially the lobster kebobs)! Music was really good, Barefoot played solo mostly, with an occaisional singer or guitar player sitting in. Like Tony Brown. Another great day in San Pedro!!
SUPER BOWL SUNDAY was a wild day in San Pedro, at least for us. After breakfast at Papi's, breakfast burritos that are out-of-this-world good, got some sun at the pool at the Blue Tang and chilled. THEN...Jerry went down to Cholo's to hang out. It is Sunday of Carnival. He comes back to the hotel and he is painted green. I mean GREEN!! So, I walk down the beach to Cholo's and see lots of kids with paint but no one bothers me. I get to Cholo's and get a drink and suddenly from behind a door of the door Changa rushes out and paints me green. My arms and face mostly. Wild stuff. By now Jerry has more than green on him but I only have green. Thank goodness. Then further down the beach to the Pier Lounge for their Super Bowl Party. Met up with some friends and watched the game and had lots of rum punch and Belikins. After, Jerry got Jerry Jeff Walker's autograph on his CD over at Wet Willys.

Another sunny day, not a cloud in the sky. Laid in the sun for awhile, went out to Wet Willys for chicken tacos. Then back to the pool to catch some more rays. Got a couple of shrimp cocktails from the salsa lady. Yummy!! Went to Mangos for Joke night with Barefoot Skinny. Had a lot of fun. Every Monday is Joke night at Mangos, a fun time.
Walked down the beach home. Kind of reminded me of the French Quarter in New Orleans. We walked by Dennis Wolfe at Coconuts, Tony Brown at Fido's and Jerry Jeff Walker at Wet Willys. All different kinds of music under a starry sky.

We had decided to spend one night on Caye Caulker. So, we packed our toothbrushes and took the water taxi to Caye Caulker. Took the 11:30am water taxi. Got there, got a room at the Rainbow Hotel, very clean and cheap, went out the Rainbow Bar and Grill and had a GOOD lunch. I had shrimp quesadillas and Jerry had the lobster special.. lobster fillet, french fries and cole slaw for $20.00BZ. GREAT lunch and very CHEAP!!!
Sat out in front of the Rainbow in their chairs and soaked up the sun. We walked down to the split and had a drink at the Lazy Lizard. Great bar and the scenery is fabulous!!!! Left there, walked to Silkpainter's shop but she wasn't there, bought some earrings and walked back to the hotel. Time for dinner, went to Rasta Pasta. The food was so good. I am out of adjectives to use for the food. It was awesome. I had Cajun pasta with grilled chicken and Jerry had Pastapesto with grilled chicken. Huge portions. And so darn good. Back to the hotel, watch a little tv and crash. Jerry got up and watched the sun come up. Very cool. Went to the Sandbox for breakfast and it was good. Then back to Silkpainter's shop and she was there!!! Talked with her for about 20 minutes and it was cool. Bought a piece of her artwork. It is of the split. Very talented woman. Got the 11:30 water taxi back to San Pedro. 20 minute ride, inside the reef.
Had dinner at Caliente's and it was da bomb. We both had Ginger Rum Shrimp with rice and beans. The sauce is unique and sooooo good. 4 stars from us. Walked to Mannellys for coconut ice cream and called it a night!!

Another place that we ate that I have to give rave reviews is Jade Garden. Ate there twice and the eggs rolls are the best I have ever eaten. And the egg drop soup is awesome. The vegetable chow mein is very good and so is the shrimp. IMHO, everyone should eat there, at least once. Jerry is still talking about the sweet and sour shrimp he had.

Went to Capricorn with our friends, took his boat and it was a beautiful star lit night. After the short boat ride, we arrived at Capricorn. We had reservations. A must. What a beautiful setting, little white lights on everything. Great atmosphere. Now, the food. The appetizers are yummy. Especially the tomato and mozzerilla dish. And the peel and eat shrimp. And fresh baked bread. Jerry had the stuffed grouper special and I had filet mignon, both so good. No room for desert. Back to Cholo's for drinks, Jerry played pool for awhile, I had a couple of rum punches and walked down the beach to the Blue Tang. Almost a perfect day!!!
The Blue Tang....a wonderful place to stay. The rooms are great, not that we were in the room much but they are really nice. The staff is awesome, Erich, Eddie and Pablo and Fanny and the girls whose names I don't know all of, and everyone is just so friendly and helpful. I know everyone has their favorites and that is cool. But we love the Blue Tang and wouldn't stay anywhere else. And it has a nice pool. And we prefer to be very near town. And I could go on and on, but I will stop now.
We had a wonderful trip and can't wait to go back.
Don't miss:
rum punch at Cholo's
Papi's breakfast burrito
the cashew guy
Jade Garden
Caye Caulker
going across the hand pull ferry
walking on the beach and looking up at all the stars
Barefoot Skinny
the people

Go and enjoy!! Peace and love.
J DOG and windyw
Posted By: jfabes Re: trip report 29 Jan--13 Feb 05 - 02/21/05 03:25 AM
I am eagerly awaiting april 13th as it will be my first trip to AC and reading all these trip reports have me wishing the days would go by faster.
Posted By: bongeo Re: trip report 29 Jan--13 Feb 05 - 02/21/05 06:34 AM
Hi windyw, think we met at BC's you and your Husband left 2 Miller Lites at the Bar for us?
I have pics of you I believe I was the tall red head that was hammered all the time, and enjoyed every minute of it. We will be back there again!
Bonnie
Posted By: windyw Re: trip report 29 Jan--13 Feb 05 - 02/21/05 02:17 PM
Hey!!
Yep, we remember you!!! You should have bet on the Miller Lites!!! Haha. Glad you had a good time, as you can tell, so did we!! We will be back again too. Just tooooo much fun. I think it was you that told us to go to the Squirrel's Nest bar. We did and had a lot of fun. Nice bar!
Did you do a trip report?

windyw and J DOG
Posted By: captjeff Re: trip report 29 Jan--13 Feb 05 - 02/21/05 03:47 PM
windy w ... very nice post ..you know how to live the dream ,and good for you ..enjoy ..
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board