AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Anonymous rental houses? - 02/15/05 06:26 PM
I would like to rent a house for a night on Caye Caulker - However, the few sites I've checked out have minimum stays. Anyone know if this is possible?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: rental houses? - 02/16/05 05:30 AM
Do not stay at CHATEAU GISELLE. It is worst place I have ever stayed: no screens, the sink does not drain, ceiling fans and lights did not work, and cushions on the furniture were hard as a board.

I believe the house is misrepresented on the website. Be careful of any place that charges you Charge Card for the full amount when you make the reservations and encourages you to take out travelers insurance.

We rented the house for 5 nights but left after one night of sleeping in the bug infested bedrooms

To top it all off the property manager thought we should have known better and refused to refund any portion of our money.

Next time show up on the island and pick one of any nice hotels or homes after you view them in person or skip Caye Caulker all together and stay at Ambergris Caye.

Feb '05
Posted By: bhb74 Re: rental houses? - 02/16/05 06:09 AM
hello the best places to rent from are amanda at caye caulker rentals or diane from auxillou rentals they will help you find the place you want good luck and have fun
Posted By: Anonymous Re: rental houses? - 02/16/05 06:23 AM
is it possible to rent for just one night?
Posted By: ramsay Re: rental houses? - 02/16/05 07:46 AM
you could stay at Tree Tops for one night (guest house) for about $50 US
Posted By: Noh True! Re: rental houses? - 02/16/05 07:16 PM
To get an overview of all the locations available in Caye Caulker go the the official Village COuncil web site at www.cayecaulkerbelize.net.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: rental houses? - 02/17/05 02:38 AM
The Chateau Giselle is an Auxillou property which has hosted more than a dozen dozen families since it first opened as a home rental in 2003. We pride ourselves in the quality of accommodations and service that we offer to our guests. Our particularly high occupancy rate and rate of requests to stay with us is a testament to this. Many of our guests are repeat guests and return year after year.

Because our property can at times be in very high demand, in the high season our deposit and cancellation policy is that full payment is required in advance, with no refunds for cancellations less than 45 days prior to the scheduled arrival date. This is clearly stated on our website and we deceive no one with this information. In fact, any person choosing the Chateau Giselle is required to sign a form stating that they understand and agree to this. I do understand that this policy may not be agreeable to everyone, but we find it necessary for our protection. There are other accommodations on Caye Caulker that will be glad to cater to others not in agreement with our deposit and cancellation policy and we encourage them to seek those out. On Caye Caulker, there is something for everyone.

Since we are a one unit vacation rental, a home stay cancellation for us means that 100% of our occupancy is gone for that period. As a small business, we cannot afford the uncertainties of possible cancellations, especially in the high season.

This family booked a four night stay with us, fully understanding and agreeing to the deposit and cancellation policy. After a stay in San Pedro, they came to Caye Caulker to use the accommodations on Caye Caulker they had confirmed with us and paid for. I suspect that since they were coming from San Pedro, they realized exactly upon arrival to Caye Caulker that, lacking all the infrastructure and nightlife of SP, this was not the island from them. It is not for everyone. Realizing they had made a bad decision, and realizing they now preferred to return to San Pedro, they now needed someone to pay for their destination decision error. So, the non-creative way to achieve this is to complain about the accommodations, get a refund, and use the money to stay in San Pedro. After all, we are just third world villagers and don't deserve to feed our children.

What is quite telling is that these folks despite their complaints did not move to other accommodations on Caye Caulker. They checked out the morning after checking in and returned to San Pedro. When I refused their request for a refund, one party member did say she would do her best to destroy the image of my accommodations shortly before slamming down the phone in my ear.

So, here we are....today!

Have a nice day, Funk family! I hope your vacation was great, despite your "bad mine". You better BELIZE it!

Chateau Giselle is a beautiful three-bedroom, two bath island home located in the village within walking distance from everything. C'mon down, folks! You are welcomed anytime!

Thanks and cheers,
Wendy
Posted By: Big Lou Re: rental houses? - 02/17/05 04:57 PM
We just spent a week at Chateau Giselle and had a great stay with no problems. It is not a 4 star place but we knew that going in and got what we paid for. Wendy was great to work with and Gina was AWESOME when we got there.

I would say to anyone that if you are looking for Club Med type accommodations, you should really rethink Caye Caulker. The charm of this wonderful island is in its simplicity.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: rental houses? - 02/17/05 09:57 PM
Right on Big Lou. Stayed there before myself and thoroughly enjoyed our "home away from home".
Posted By: Anonymous Re: rental houses? - 02/18/05 04:36 AM
I will be there next week and can tell you Wendy has been very upfront about everything. I was on Caye Caulker last year and can't wait to get back. I also have no desire to stay in San Pedro, very diffrent style. As far as bugs go they should try staying in one of the jungle resorts for a week.
Noworrysmon, Wendy did the airstrip open today?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: rental houses? - 02/18/05 05:43 AM
why all the sudden testimonials. why the sudden rally? are these plants to diminish the negative comments posted? will the posters get a free night at the "chateau"? which is far from (care of merriam webster)

1). a french feudal castle

2). a large country house

3). a french vinyard estate

enough said
Posted By: Big Lou Re: rental houses? - 02/18/05 03:23 PM
Instead of skeptic, you should call yourself cynic (look that up if you need to). I write my own posts and state only my opinion.

Sounds to me like you are the one with an ax to grind.
Posted By: mslisa Re: rental houses? - 02/19/05 03:45 AM
To SHK...

I have to support Wendy on this one. If you think Pedro is posh and more your vibe then Caulker ain't. Didn't you read Lonely Planet? Caulker is a low-key place without all the bells and whistles. Pedro is for people who say "villa" and "margarita" in the same sentence.

It's also typical of yanks to complain when something doesn't suit them. Caulker is not Cancun. It's a lovely piece of earth in a third world country with all kinds of hassles, heavy taxation, corruption, kick-backs, hustles and scams. Most people are just trying to survive under sometimes grim circumstances.

Travel smarter in the future. You could have read the fine print for your accomidation contract. Don't sign up for anything sight unseen. If you're from the States you'll probably take the loss as a deduction on your taxes anyway.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board