AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: skubakat Import Taxes/Tariffs on gifts - 01/12/06 08:02 PM
We are looking to bring some gifts to some friends on the caye and was wondering if someone could tell us about what they would charge us if we claimed about $100US in gifts. Last year we were searched and I had some stuff "gifts" and the customs personnel kept asking me if any of it was a gift. Just wondering if I had said "yes" what kind of fee I would be looking at. The gifts I have in mind are mostly clothing and a couple of small kitchen appliances....Can anyone help?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Import Taxes/Tariffs on gifts - 01/13/06 12:10 AM
About USD$30. There are two taxes -this number combines them.Just pay on appliances and forget the clothes.
Posted By: Cooper Re: Import Taxes/Tariffs on gifts - 01/15/06 05:33 AM
If it is truly a personal gift, like an outfit of clothing, or somthing that is not commonly resold here like electronics. Custums will somtimes charge nothing at all if the person to whom the gift is going picks the item up at custums, this however is up to the descretion of the officer and his mood at the time. Last year my husband and I brought down 700 lbs of tools and art supplies and not charged a penny. My husband told the custums officer a joke and had a charming conversation with him, we fully expected to pay, even had a list and purchase receipts, but got the go ahead past the pay window. So figure on the 30% duty as that is usually the rule. Being charming usually does not work!!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board