AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: jubilee Relocating May 2007 - 04/10/06 07:46 AM
my family has visited Caye Caulker many times over the last few years, but it has been over a year since I was there. We just bought land north of the airstrip and plan to relocate there in May 2007. When we were there last time, many people expressed the need for a marine outboard technician/mechanic. My husband is completing his certifications, and will be certified for Yamaha, johnson, Evinrude and possible Mercury. I know you guys are running mostly Yamahas, or at least you were, can anybody please tell me if there is still a need for a mechanic? I was starting to worry that with the popularity growing, there may be more mechanics already on the island! Thanks.
Posted By: Dane Re: Relocating May 2007 - 04/10/06 03:43 PM
We have used Yamahas and kept them fixed for many years.There are usually at least several guys to ask for help with repairs, but no well equipped shop in town. Don't worry about Certifications. They mean liitle here. The things that will make a new engine repair shop do well are:
-a South Island location is a must
-modest labor cost and quick turnaround
Skilled guys make US$75 a day here.
- Parts are unavailable closer than the city, so parts swapping is a not very effective way to investigate problems.
-By the book repairs are often too expensive. Many clients favor the McGyver approach for economic reasons.
Posted By: Cooper Re: Relocating May 2007 - 04/10/06 05:43 PM
Keep in mind the possibility of your husband not being able to work as a machanic. Their are more than a few locals attempting this as an occupation. A gringo who is working at a profession may not be able to get a work permit as it is a job that would compete with a local. A person who works at this trade with out a work permit is likly to be turned in by the local he is competeing with, this could be serious as you could be removed from the country.
Posted By: jubilee Re: Relocating May 2007 - 04/10/06 06:13 PM
Thanks for the info, we will keep researching. We have a local friend from the island who can supposedely help us with getting the permits. He is a lobster/fisherman and says that the main man who fixes motors on the island and offers quality repairs makes the prices sky high and has a slow turnaround. Plus, he says the fishing community is interested in different motors, but has no one to repair them because they only work on Yamahas. Has anyone noticed this trend? Any adfditional info will be greatly appreciated.Thanks again.
Posted By: Caye Connect Re: Relocating May 2007 - 04/10/06 06:42 PM
Jub,

Listen to Cooper and Dane here.

97% of all motors here are Yamaha, reason for which is reliability, availablity of parts and availability of labor. As far as I know, this has been fairly static for 20yrs. Plenty of guys know these motors. What they need is incorporation (aka cooperation). This is sometimes easier said than done here.

With a proper investment of time and money, you could someday have a shop with parts and mechanic services. Whatever ANYBODY is telling you, plan on NOT doing this for at least 12-18 months after you arrive. Make sure you have a nest egg or some other type of income coming from outside of Belize.
Posted By: jubilee Re: Relocating May 2007 - 04/10/06 06:58 PM
Your guys have been very helpful, the info you are providing is exactly what I was looking for. I know this is something no one can know until you actually live there, but does anybody have any idea on how much we should plan to have a month. We will have a house to live in, but are responsible for utilities. We already live very frugally, family of 4 on about 20,000 USD in Houston Texas. We are very good about only pruchasing things we need...i.e. older cars, no cable, etc. But we splurge on other things such as trips to Belize! We also have a nest egg we are building for our move, any suggestions? Also, I know foreigners have not much say in political affairs, but can anyone tell me what the political climate is? (I'm a political science philosophy major, just interested)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Relocating May 2007 - 04/10/06 06:59 PM
LISTEN to good advice -- these posting are REALLY the way it is! Don't try to bypass the system, i.e. get a "local" to bend the rules to get a permit before you are legally eligible...you will soon regret it. Look at the requirements for residency, citizenship, work permits on the Government website. We have laws just like other countries for LEGAL entry/working in Belize!!!
Posted By: jubilee Re: Relocating May 2007 - 04/10/06 07:14 PM
I am not trying to "bend" any laws, I have researched immigration laws and visitied the consulate in Houston.The laws,as are laws of any counry are vague to allow for individual interpretation.That is why, from what i have researched, before your 90 day visa expires, it is important to get all your paperwork lined up. Because the governnment takes forever.If a local with a solid reputation and a solid legal understanding of the policies, can help me do this legally, I don't see a problem. I am not showing up on the island broke with the dream of "making it big". That is why I am on this website so I can get advice from people who are living and working on the island. Further, I am not trying to step on any toes, that is why we are tryig to provide a service that seems to be needed. The advice I have received from the other posters has been extremely helpful.
Posted By: Cooper Re: Relocating May 2007 - 04/10/06 08:04 PM
I would plan on a years time before you get a legal work permit, They will usually not accept applications for 6 months, Exceptions do happen, Certain things are cheaper here, Cable TV with 40 stations HBO, Showtime etc is only $12 a month. you could probably get by on $1,000 a month. I am very serious about the work permit in your situation. You may be able to help your friend out fixing motors and nothing will happen. The law reads and it is stamped in your passport the first time you get a 30 day visa. Bearer shall not work in the country not even for no pay, You will be crossing the bridge of the locals income on top of being a gringo. If you have investments here it would be a shame to be removed from the country.
Posted By: jubilee Re: Relocating May 2007 - 04/10/06 08:42 PM
Thanks, your reply was very helpful. I have two young children, so I wouldn't even think of doing anythin illegal that would put us in any jeopardy. I am just trying to get a realistic idea of what I am looking at because you hear so many different stories. A year seems reasonable. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these posts honestly. You confirmed that I should probably have at least 18 months worth of savings. How is it banking in Belize? Are the banks reliable? Can we keep the bulk of our money there, or do you suggest having a US account and wiring it into a Belizean bank?
Posted By: Dane Re: Relocating May 2007 - 04/10/06 08:55 PM
"the main man who fixes motors on the island and offers quality repairs makes the prices sky high and has a slow turnaround. Plus, he says the fishing community is interested in different motors, but has no one to repair them because they only work on Yamahas"
I should let this go but:
The main man is a wonderful guy who has fixed my friends motors for 25 years at very cheap to reasonable prices, including Suzuki, Honda, Evinrude. The turn around time isn't just slow, it is really slow. but exceptions have been made. I wouldn't come in all excited to get one of those exceptions unless you are related, however, so some folks can be a bit disappointed in his shop. His little concealed policy of "Labor rate based on customer attitude." does not endear him to all fishermen.
The simple fact is, he is a popular, influential,wise,and successful guy who runs his repair business at his pleasure. He doesn't care about competition because a sizeable part the the motor owning public will bring motors to him as long as he is willing to fix them for us.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Relocating May 2007 - 04/10/06 10:23 PM
I am planing on staying for 6m to try out living down there and need internet access for a degree I will finish while I'm down there, is it available to houses, what type and any idea of the monthly cost?

TIA for the help
Posted By: Cybercayecaulker.com Re: Relocating May 2007 - 04/10/06 11:28 PM
Its been a long time since I set up service, but I believe the deposit on a phone line is 500 bzd, plus installation. This is for local service only, and not international long distance. DSL internet is available and I think the modem is 300 bzd, plus set up and the slowest plan is 100 bzd a month for unlimited access. Residential phone service is 20 bzd a month plus your minutes. Every time you call anyone on Caye Caulker you are acharged for a local call, and if you call to San Pedro or anywhere on the mainland you are charged a local long distance. Its available, but its not cheap. You can get more information about phone servicein Belize at www.btl.net
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board