AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Auxillou Beach Suites Caye to Success - 05/20/06 12:36 AM
[Linked Image]
http://www2.xlibris.com/Bookstore/bookdisplay.asp?bookid=17596

Caye to SuccessA Biography of Antonio Lorenzo Vega, Sr.

by Mati Gomoll
ISBN: 1-4010-9051-6 (Trade Paperback)
ISBN: 1-4010-9052-4 (Hardback)
Pages: 292
Subject: BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY / General

Description

This text contains the life and times of Antonio Lorenzo Vega Sr., of Caye Caulker, Belize. It documents the life of a man who raises himself from poverty through sheer hard work at sea. Suddenly, after leading his village to remarkable success, Tony suffers the loss of his career at the very hands of those whom he has elevated. Tony is handed a second chance at recovery when a steady stream of backpackers forces him to open up his property to campers. Besides managing his hotel, Tony continues to enhance his community through his leadership. ´Caye to Success´ also shares the inside story of the formation of Belize´s first fishing cooperative with the public. It describes the times surrounding this happening and how Tony Vega Sr., led a group of about three dozen islanders to join him in forming this organization. Today, this cooperative makes it possible for lobster-lovers the world over to experience a taste of Belize with a simple visit to the Red Lobster Restaurants in the United States. Reviews: Kamela Palma Chairperson National Council on Ageing Punta Gorda, Belize, Central America December 2003 ´Caye to Success´ for me as a Belizean, tells the history of one of our islands through the life of a gentle man and one of our country´s visionaries. The book spans the years from 1916 to today and relates a story of struggle, survival and achievement as experienced by Mr. Antonio Vega Sr., his parents, his wife and his children. It tells a tale of Belize´s own struggle for modernization as experienced through the microcosm of this particular small island as it comes to grips with the riches of the sea and the harnessing of those riches for the betterment of the Caye Caulker community and of our beloved jewel. Mati has undertaken what so many of us with parents whose histories have shaped our communities and our country should do. I admire the honesty with which she weaves her tale and I admire the fact that she has had the courage to write this book. It is my sincere hope that all Belizeans will read this book and be inspired by it as I have been. ^^^^^^^^^^^^ James A. Cox Editor-in-Chief Midwest Book Review 278 Orchard Drive Oregon, WI 53575-1129 phone: 1-608-835-7937 e-mail: [email protected] e-mail: [email protected] http://www.midwestbookreview.comCaye To Success March 2004 Caye To Success is Matt Gomoll´s solid biography of Antonio Lorenzo Vega Sr. of Caye Caulker, Belize. Presented here is the remarkable success story of a Belizean leader who brought himself out of poverty through hard work at sea, his leadership in bringing success to his village, the dramatic twists that deprived him of his career, and his ultimate self-renewal as the manager of a hotel. A positive and optimistic story of can-do entrepreneurial spirit, Caye To Success is an inspiring biography and a highly recommended read.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Caye to Success - 06/02/06 03:41 AM
i love this book. its a wonderful read. i highly recommend it
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board