AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Bartender Adrian Knee surgery - 10/05/07 06:27 PM
To all my friends in the universe.
My Name is Adrian Rogers. I am urgently in need of a long overdue knee surgery as I am suffering increasing pain. The cost of this surgery is $12,745.00bz. During the recovery time, I will be unable to work for 6 weeks, possibly more. As I have family of 6, the cost to maintain them and pay for the surgery is prohibitive for me. I am asking you for any assistance you may be able to offer. For more info you can email me at [email protected] or stop by at Cayeboard Connection on Caye Caulker.
Posted By: lucky notion Re: Knee surgery - 10/09/07 02:53 PM
I just want to say,I know Adrian and his request is real and honorable.During my last trip to Caye Caulker I got to meet Adrian and his family and after leaving I felt I had met a real friend and will be back to visit very soon.I'm going to help, if you can, please do!
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Knee surgery - 10/09/07 03:25 PM
Reading this I feel sorry for Adrian,whom I do not know,but having a family of six is not very wise when you cannot look after them-I believe his friends should help him-he should have savings-
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Knee surgery - 10/09/07 07:00 PM
Does social security help with the surgery costs? It does pay for time when you are unable to work. Provided you and your boss are registered and paying into the system. If not you can consider asking your boss to pay for your surgery and you can pay him/her back over time.

I am fairly certain that your employer is required by law to pay into the social security system, precisely for these types of emergency situations. If your employer hasn't been paying into the system then the labour department can compel your boss to help you out.

Posted By: dabunk Re: Knee surgery - 10/09/07 07:11 PM
SS only pays benefits after 7 work days missed. They do not help with medical bills, that is what NHI is supposed to do.
Posted By: Cooper Re: Knee surgery - 10/10/07 06:42 PM
Its my understanding from talking to the Ministry of Health that the NHI is not in effect yet. They are only just registering people, at this time they will register anyone with a social security card. Even if you are not a resident of Belize. You only need a work permit to get a card. They have no information on when (if) this National Insurance will go into place,
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Knee surgery - 10/10/07 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by dabunk
SS only pays benefits after 7 work days missed. They do not help with medical bills, that is what NHI is supposed to do.

If my employees come in with a doctor's note and I as the employer fill it in confirming time missed from work, I have had employees claim for less than a week. However this is from memories of quite a few years ago, but I don't think its changed.

I read that NHI is signing up people but I thought it was to go into effect in the cayes starting september 1st.

Social security contributions amount to 8% of an employees salary - one would expect that this forced insurance plan would actually work when required.
Posted By: dabunk Re: Knee surgery - 10/10/07 07:27 PM
As I said what NHI is "supposed" to do. They opened a brand new NHI clinic here in PG and it is excellent what they are doing compared to what was available before. But if it is still funded and there after the election will be seen.
Posted By: Cooper Re: Knee surgery - 10/11/07 03:11 AM
Have they actually issued cards in PG, no cards on Caye Caulker and none of the facilities in B.C. that are suppose to accept NHI have done so yet? This was info from last week.
Posted By: dabunk Re: Knee surgery - 10/11/07 03:33 AM
No cards yet, just a new clinic to take care of basic needs. Previously basic needs in PG hospital was take your life in your hand type of affair.
Posted By: silkpainter Re: Knee surgery - 10/11/07 03:46 PM
I don't believe NHI covers surgery. Its primarily for office visits and medication.
Posted By: Bartender Adrian Re: Knee surgery - 10/11/07 05:45 PM
Good Day my friends........Thank you soooo much for your concerns and suggestions and replies. Yes, social security will take care of me during my absence from work only. Together with my employer,we do contribute to SS. Neither NHI or SS will cover the cost of the surgery. My insurance will help cover some of the expense; however, there is still much needed funds to cover. For example, prior to surgery, I have to take people to the hospital to donate blood. Water taxi and land taxi will cost $150.00 for that alone. For clarification, I only have four children plus my wife and I, makes our family of 6.
Posted By: silkpainter Re: Knee surgery - 10/11/07 06:28 PM
I know Adrian, he's a kind soul and a good guy. I will help in any way I can. I am not in Belize right now, but will return in early November and will help with fundraising.
Posted By: Cooper Re: Knee surgery - 10/14/07 03:35 AM
I am curious now! Is The National Health Insurance plan in effect now? As I still dont know anyone who has received their insurance card yet, and the medical providers I have talked to say they do not yet accept it, that it is not yet in effect. They were out here signing people up a month or so ago, said they would be back to issue cards, when I called ministry of Health I was told they were only now just signing people up is all???????
Posted By: dabunk Re: Knee surgery - 10/14/07 04:59 AM
Not in effect as of any time soon, lots of promises but no real money allocated to fund it. Cards were issued just before the last election but were worthless after.
Posted By: Cooper Re: Knee surgery - 10/14/07 04:00 PM
Thanks for clearing that up because some folks were saying how the plan did not cover surgery, and did cover other things, but if its not in effect it covers nothing at all!!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board