AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: dwilken where to buy bait - 02/06/13 12:27 AM
well we're finally here and the rain stopped. nice day of snorkeling, time to fish. where do i buy the sardines??? i thought i'd walk out the dock and scoop some up with a pool type net. that was funny. maybe if i waited till dark and used a flasdhlight. anyways, looking for tips on catching bait and where to buy them. do i take a bucket with me, or are they frozen?????-thanks
Posted By: dwilken Re: where to buy bait - 02/06/13 05:47 PM
i totally lucked out. locals were seining off of where we're staying. got too many sardines in the freezer now.-thanks for everything!!!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: where to buy bait - 02/06/13 07:07 PM
I had a great sandwich when I was in New York City at a Jewish Delicatessen - Sardines with big slab of Bermuda Onion. I've never had the nerve to try and make one myself - but that was Delicious. Does anyone have a recipe?
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: where to buy bait - 02/06/13 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
I had a great sandwich when I was in New York City at a Jewish Delicatessen - Sardines with big slab of Bermuda Onion. I've never had the nerve to try and make one myself - but that was Delicious. Does anyone have a recipe?

Harriette, I think you aready have the recipe...."sardines with a big slab of Bermuda onion" grin
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: where to buy bait - 02/06/13 07:49 PM
you are funny! What kinds of bread, dressing, pickles, etc? Is the sardine gutted? Cooked?
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: where to buy bait - 02/06/13 08:02 PM
I would surely think that the locals have or do eat sardines. I bet you could get a recipe from them. I'm going to try them next time we're down. I think if you get large fresh (as fresh as possible because the flesh deteriorates very quickly) ones, you could scale and filet them. Dredge in flour and then fry them. I love smelt.....with smelt all you have to do is remove the head, guts and fry them up.....very tiney scales and bones so you can eat the whoe thing.
Posted By: SimonB Re: where to buy bait - 02/06/13 08:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmhrc4Xnq5A
Posted By: ragman Re: where to buy bait - 02/06/13 10:31 PM
I love smelts also. Deep fried. I hate fishing for them in the cold around here. There are many Portuguese Markets around me that sell "Portuguese Sardines" deep fried on Fridays. I've had them and they are good but they are also larger than a regular sardine.

I hope the snow Friday doesn't interfere with my fish & chips at the market I go to now that you all have me thinking about it. I love New England fish & chips. I also love fish & chips in San Pedro when my wife makes it for me using snapper.
Posted By: Bear Re: where to buy bait - 02/07/13 03:45 AM
Originally Posted by ragman
I love smelt also. Deep fried.

Fries with eyes...yum
Posted By: MikeD Re: where to buy bait - 02/07/13 04:21 AM
Originally Posted by Bear

Fries with eyes...yum

NOPE...don't like my fish looking at me!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: where to buy bait - 02/07/13 04:46 AM
Until you've had fried smelt with such a sweet flavor, not fishy at all you will love it. Cut the damn head off then fry it.
Posted By: Cooper Re: where to buy bait - 02/07/13 05:06 AM
There is a place across from China Town store and Elloy sells bait and rents poles up north from Atlantic Bank, you can also ask at the fruit stand Ist street north of bank turn right, fruit stand is on the left. Also a place at the end of the same street where it runs into the soccor field, on the left, look for signs.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: where to buy bait - 02/07/13 05:20 AM
Al - do the smelt still run in the Cowlitz River? We used to take buckets and galvanized washtubs and the limit was however much each person could carry. We then had feasts of fried smelt. I know we cut the heads off but what about the innerds?
BTW - they were served as crisp as any of the best potatoes chips.
Posted By: Cooper Re: where to buy bait - 02/07/13 06:41 AM
Kind of sad all you jokesters get on our link and your not even from here, and the poor guy, well none of you answered his question. He had to P.M. me. A sense of humor is always good but whew..what a crew on this post. have another drink.
Posted By: Bear Re: where to buy bait - 02/07/13 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by MikeD
Originally Posted by Bear

Fries with eyes...yum

NOPE...don't like my fish looking at me!

Mike, Close yours! wink

Originally Posted by Loansum-Al K
Until you've had fried smelt with such a sweet flavor, not fishy at all you will love it. Cut the damn head off then fry it.

Aw c'mon man!, the head's best!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: where to buy bait - 02/07/13 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
Al - do the smelt still run in the Cowlitz River? We used to take buckets and galvanized washtubs and the limit was however much each person could carry. We then had feasts of fried smelt. I know we cut the heads off but what about the innerds?
BTW - they were served as crisp as any of the best potatoes chips.

Yes Harriette, we have both freshwater & saltwater smelt. I prefer the saltwater smelt, I think they have a richer flavor. There innerds are very small and usually slide out when you decapitate them!
Posted By: tacogirl Re: where to buy bait - 02/09/13 06:53 PM
Capt Sharks for bait if you cant find a local fisherman with sardines
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board