AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: neiljoba Cheap Bastard - 10/04/14 12:56 PM
I visited Caye Caulker for two weeks at the beginning of June, and fell in love with the island and the people. Now, I am planning to return at Christmas time to be with the place and the people that I fell in love with. The Problem? MONEY! I may not be the original 'cheap bastard', but I am a good clone.

I live in southmost Texas (Brownsville area) and have only two choices for air travel. It's either American Airlines through Dallas or United Airlines through Houston. Both of them would cost well over a thousand dollars for a round trip. There would also be the cost of a taxi from the Belize City airport to the Caye Caulker Water Taxi. So, I decided to travel through Mexico.

I would walk across the bridge from Brownsville to Matamoros ($.75US), take a taxi to the bus station (~$100MX), and ride the Noreste Plus bus to Monterrey ($425MX). Then it would be a taxi to the Monterrey airport in Apodaca (~$200MX). There is an economy airline (VivaAerobus) that will fly me to Cancun ($94.62US going and $58.04US return). From the Cancun airport, there is an ADO shuttle bus going to Plya del Carman ($146MX) where I will get on the ADO night bus that travels between Cancun and Belize City (~$48US). [The return trip bus stops at the Cancun Airport.] This will put me in Belize City about 6:30AM.
From the bus station in Belize City, I will probably walk the two blocks and cross the famous swing bridge to get to the Caye Caulker Water Taxi. Then on to Caye Caulker ($10US). The total for the round trip comes out to less than $500US. Yes, it will take almost 24 hours. But, what we 'old farts' lack in money, we make up for by having time. And, I have always been able to sleep on a bus.

If anyone can come up with a cheaper travel plan, please let me know.
Posted By: sassybelizean Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/04/14 01:26 PM
Awesome research, have a great journey, and welcome back to Belize..I'd like to share this on another Forum with your permission, of course!. Thanks.
Posted By: neiljoba Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/04/14 01:50 PM
Feel free to share this with anyone. I have done the bus between Matamoros and Monterrey many times. The trip is just over 4 hours and I was able to sleep, read, or watch a movie. The buses in Mexico put US buses to shame.
Posted By: Chris Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/04/14 02:10 PM
Not knowing your dates....but Spirit Airlines is flying DFW to CUN for under 400US around the holiday period.
Posted By: collyk Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/04/14 02:34 PM
Another option to consider is flying into Mexico City. I've seen flights for about 250 round trip. There is a regular flight from Mexico City to Chetumal for 100 each way.
Posted By: neiljoba Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/04/14 03:22 PM
I already checked that route using InterJet. The cheapest would be $346.82US round trip and would mean 17 to 20 hours each ways. I have spent enough time sitting in the airport in Mexico City to last a lifetime. And, the water taxi from Chet to CC is $55US.
Posted By: neiljoba Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/04/14 03:39 PM
It's nice to know there are low cost flights on Spirit airlines from DFW to Cancun. Now, do you have any suggestions for cheap travel between Brownsville and Dallas? You cannot be from Texas, or you would know that we do not measure distance by miles. We use hours! And, Dallas is 10 hours away.
Posted By: ckocian Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/04/14 05:59 PM
Harlingen to DFW? Southwest?
Posted By: neiljoba Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/04/14 06:29 PM
Southwest does go from Harlengen (HRL) to Dallas (DAL) but not to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW). Even so, the round trip lowest price is still $220. And checking flight times, I would have of time to develop hemorrhoids sitting on my bum. For some reason, I cannot find the logic of going 500 miles north when I want to go 1200 miles south.
Posted By: Chris Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/04/14 06:54 PM
"If anyone can come up with a cheaper travel plan, please let me know"...you win.
Posted By: neiljoba Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/04/14 07:00 PM
I cheated! I have researched this for the last two weeks. Remember, we 'old farts' have time on our side.
Posted By: collyk Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/05/14 07:35 PM
I just got an email promotion from Interjet. Prices one way from USA destinations to Mexico City are currently as low as $107USD one way.
Posted By: neiljoba Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/05/14 08:39 PM
It still won't work. The nearest airport in the US served by InterJet is Houston. The date I want to travel (December 18) is kind of fixed. [Social Security arrives on the 17th.] The one-way from Houston to MEX for that date is $224US. Add to that the cost of getting from Brownsville to Houston and the cost of getting to Chetumal from MEX and then double that for a round trip. My way is still much less expensive.
Posted By: Bean Hunter Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/07/14 07:34 PM
round trip San Antonio to Cacun $419.00 then bus ride to chetumal, then water taxi to Caye cualker would be my choice. much safer than traveling from Brownsville to cancun.
and not that much more$$ and less time.
Posted By: neiljoba Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/08/14 11:23 AM
Did you forget the 4� hour drive from Brownsville to San Antonio? And, I have traveled to Mexico by bus and plane for a long time (mostly for work and money) and have always felt safe. Much of the safety concerns are dependent on where you are and the people you are with. I also found that dressing and looking like a bum hides the fact that I might have something worth steeling. Wearing a suit, tie, expensive shoes, and traveling with matched luggage will make you stand out like a sore thumb. The secret is to blend in with the woodwork.
Posted By: Bean Hunter Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/08/14 02:05 PM
I was not thinking of time for travel to San Antonio?? you are correct about that.
I have traveled for work and pleasure in Mexico for over 35 years, I remember when it was very safe along the boarder towns, not true anymore. I was threatened even in Monterrey in front of the hotel. And in Nogalas.
I to travel dressed very plain and show no shiny Jewelry, watches or anything they may want to take from me.
Posted By: mountain Larry Re: Cheap Bastard - 10/08/14 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by neiljoba
Southwest does go from Harlengen (HRL) to Dallas (DAL) but not to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW). Even so, the round trip lowest price is still $220. And checking flight times, I would have of time to develop hemorrhoids sitting on my bum. For some reason, I cannot find the logic of going 500 miles north when I want to go 1200 miles south.

I too look for cheap ways to travel to Belize. (Not quite as studious about it as you however) A few years back, I believe it was 2008 or 9. I found my cheapest flight to Belize had us leaving Denver on Alaska Air to Seattle then after a three hour layover we were off to Atlanta another layover of nearly 3 hours. Finally we got to Belize City and took Tropic Air to A.C. We saved a few bucks (not worth it) but I always laugh that I left on Alaska Air and arrived on Tropic Air.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board