AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Alta Shore fishing - 10/31/14 07:41 PM
Hi all. I am new here. I will be visiting your beautiful island this January for two weeks. I will be bringing a light spinning rod and reel with me. Can anyone give me some info on what lures to bring and where and how to catch fish here. If I don't catch any fish I am sure I will have fun also. Catching is more fun though.
Posted By: XTC500 Re: Shore fishing - 11/01/14 12:03 AM
We stayed at Colindas Cabanas a couple years ago. I brought my fishing pole & a small assortment of lures. Didn't need the lures at all. We were directed to a guy on a back street that sold me a few small fish for bait. I cut them into pcs, put them on a hook & I caught lots of fish off the dock. Big ones small ones, I don't know all the names but the were barracuda, bone fish & I don't know what else they were. Never a dull moment. Be sure to bring a long needle nose pliers or something to extract the hooks. The Caribbean fish have mouths full of sharp teeth. You will have to ask permission to fish on others docks.
Posted By: Barry caulker Re: Shore fishing - 11/01/14 11:23 PM
Hi Alta,
You might want to bring some steel/wire traces as the barracuda will cut through you monofilament.also some small flashy spinners and feather jigs for the days where you can't find sardines as bait. A couple of clip on floats will keep your bait suspended and out of the underwater obstructions.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board