AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Sixty-one year old Godfrey Cooper Smith, the owner of Popeye's Resort in Caye Caulker, who is an American citizen originally from Belize, was fined a total of $445 today by Magistrate Hettie Mae Stuart after he pled guilty to possession of lobster during closed season. Smith was ordered to pay $305 for the offence and in addition, he was ordered to pay $20 for each of the 7 lobster tails he had. Smith was busted with the lobster tails on February 19 when a fishery officer went to Godfrey's Seaside Grill and found him with the tails. Smith paid the money forthwith.
When we were new tourists here long ago, Caye Caulker was known as the place ace to get lobster out of season. Thanks to better enforcement, one person got caught and that is good, but IMHO the fine is way too low to be effective.
And .... shame on the customer! If you don't buy it, they won't stock it.
Constant education is helpful. kudos to the enforcers.
I'd like to see a two year honeymoon for the conch. I can't tell you how many undersized shells there are out there ..... These critters need a long rest.

My observations are that there are a lot less Conch, Lobster and Fish inside the reef than there was 10 years ago. A lot less. I can't imagine what another 10 years with the current pressure on these will bring. frown
Ragman you are so right.
It's too bad that the GOB doesn't have the money to pay the fisherman NOT to fish like the US pays some farmers not to farm.
With reference to the post above, Sorry to disagree. The fishermen of Belize are intelligent people connected to the earth. If they understand well the consequences of overfishing I believe they will do the right thing. The consequences are both legal (fines etc) and loss of product .....
Former game hunters became environmentalists when they learned just a bit more and had an economic alternative. Read "Jaguar". Then think about fishermen in a similar context ....
Belize is not perfect but for sure it is a place where change can happen. Be part of it.
Not all customers, meaning "tourists" are aware of the lobster season or laws......if it's on the menu, they assume that it's ok! So not the tourists fault.......the fishermen, and restaurant owners should know the law!!
Out of season sales are so blatant we have to warn our clients against it and the consequences if they do. They are also provided with a guide listing season dates.
Originally Posted by Loansum-Al K
It's too bad that the GOB doesn't have the money to pay the fisherman NOT to fish like the US pays some farmers not to farm.

and all this time I thought you where a Republican :-)
Originally Posted by Retiredfornow
Not all customers, meaning "tourists" are aware of the lobster season or laws......if it's on the menu, they assume that it's ok! So not the tourists fault.......the fishermen, and restaurant owners should know the law!!

I had no intention of singling out tourists as customers. Sorry if you thought I did.
Originally Posted by elbert
Originally Posted by Loansum-Al K

and all this time I thought you where a Republican :-)

OMG...........forgive me all my fellow Republicans.........I guess I was delirious blush
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board