AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: jacquesv Report From Friend With The National Guard - 10/04/00 11:14 PM
I asked my contact with the National Guard in Southern USA to send any info he may receive, as well as any Guard Relief effort. Below is his first report:
------------------------------------------
Jacques,

Got a little information for you. Belize City is still under water in places. There is no electricity or telephone service and it may be weeks before it is operational. It is estimated that 40 homes in BZ city were completely destroyed and another 1000 were damaged. The road between Ladyville and Belize city is still under 4-5 feet of water. Corozal (northern part of country) was flooded badly. Guatemala and Mexico opened it's borders to allow Belizeans to enter. Once the rivers rise in Mexico/Guatemalan mountains, it will get worse before it gets better. Ambergris Caye (San Pedro) lost 4 hotels and electricity and it may be a month before power is up again. The Prime Minister and Citizens are praising the National Emergency Management Organization for their great work.....This is unofficial, I got this via a third party. I will let you know more as I hear. No word yet as any U.S. relief effort.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board