AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Katie Valk Guatemala - 06/25/04 02:54 PM
Member Rated:
posted 06-25-2004 07:49 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just back from a romp thru parts of Guatemala, which is a beautiful, complex and very interesting country. Two Belize hoteliers have recently opened inns across the border. Hotelier/film director Francis Ford Coppola bought La Lancha, near the Camino Real on Lake Peten, between flores and Tikal. Fabulous view overlooking this expansive lagoon. It will morph into as fine an inn as their other two Belize properties-Blancaneaux Lodge and Turtle Inn. Lots to do in this area aside from Tikal and lagoon boat trips, including Ceibal ruins on the Rio Pasion, Dos Pilas and Aquateca on Rio Petexbutun, ruins at Yaxha and Topoxte and others back there. Same company that manages Victoria House now has Casa Encantada in Antiqua. Very few places on earth are as enchanting as Antigua and Casa Encantada fits right in. 10 rooms, all tastefully decorated, fabulous bedding, attentive staff and management, creatively and artfully designed and decorated. So much to see and do based from Antigua, plan to spend some time here. For something very very special, Quinta Maconda, a private home with 4 guest bdrms. Owned/operated by John Heaton, who it might be fair to say, was decorating concept guru for FFC's inns. John is a well known collector of art and his homes are well documented in Arch Digest and other upscale prominant design mags. He will up the bar by offering helicopter tours so his guests can base in comfort and access remote unspoiled areas of what he thinks is the real unaffected Guatemala. I spent time in the city, lake and highlands. Wonderful country, lovely people.
-------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Guatemala - 06/25/04 07:19 PM
Thanks for the report!
Posted By: Everglades Re: Guatemala - 07/03/04 04:42 PM
Good report Katie, thanks. How is the safty factor in Guatemala currently? A while back there seemed to be a lot of serious crimes, e.g., armed bandits etc.
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Guatemala - 07/04/04 01:27 PM
There were and are serious crimes, but I didn't feel uncomfortable anywhere, however stayed alert in Guatemala City.
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Guatemala - 07/20/04 03:48 PM
Katie,

Could you give me a qoute on r/t BZE-GUA for two nights.

Thanks.
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Guatemala - 07/20/04 07:03 PM
I emailed info to you, kt
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board