AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: simi Contacts in Placencia - 01/19/08 05:58 PM
Is there someone out there in the region Placencia? We are going to open a restaurant and looking for some addresses for "wholesale-shopping" (vegetables, meat) for our restaurant. Has got someone ideas like meat markets? Is Dangriga the place to go?
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Contacts in Placencia - 01/23/08 04:23 PM
I'm not down in Placencia, but I think the info below is pretty accurate .........
Belmopan has a farmer's market every week - fresh produce, good prices.
Fish comes from local fishermen with whom you need to cultivate a relationship.
Contact the producers of meat and poultry to see what they do for orders etc.
Most other wholesalers are in Belize City.
You may wish to check with Kitty Fox at Peckish (specialty foods) in Placencia as well.
Posted By: Stephania*21 Re: Contacts in Placencia - 01/23/08 10:35 PM
How far of a drive is it from placencia to belmopan?
Posted By: dabunk Re: Contacts in Placencia - 01/23/08 11:12 PM
About 3 hours depending on the condition of the road on the peninsula.
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Contacts in Placencia - 01/24/08 03:23 PM
2 hr drive, its 3 hrs from Placencia to Belize City
Posted By: Cooper Re: Contacts in Placencia - 02/01/08 12:21 AM
It took us about a hour and a half just to drive the peninsula rd into Placencia..... Ist and 2nd gear back and forth the whole way.
Posted By: Cooper Re: Contacts in Placencia - 02/02/08 04:04 PM
Talked to some folks yesterday that just drove down... a little over 3 hours from Belmopan....peninsula road still in bad shape....
Posted By: dabunk Re: Contacts in Placencia - 02/02/08 09:06 PM
I thought Katie must fly over the bumps!
Posted By: purplelady Re: Contacts in Placencia - 02/10/08 11:49 PM
We are traveling from Belize City to Placencia 2-20-08. First time to Placencia. also bringing couple who have never been to Belize. Staying at Maya Breeze. Any suggestions on where to get groceries, beer, etc and hot spots.
Posted By: Barnacle Re: Contacts in Placencia - 02/11/08 12:12 AM
i may be of some help,,,
maya beach has a small grocery store just yards from maya breeze inn. look at it as a 7-11 type store.
we also have a great grocery truck that stops at all the places. they have milk, meat, veggies, fruit, yogurt, ice creame bread, tortillas, and on and on. they do stop at maya breeze as well. i don't know what your room is equiped with as far as fridge and stove,,,
beer is cheapest at the distributer in placencia, wallens market. 48.50 with a case of returns. at the maya beach market it will set you back 60.00bz with returns.
they serve booze at maya beach hotel green parrot, singing sands and mangos. of these,, mango's is realy the only 'bar' type atmosphere. the others are geared more to the restaurant.
cabs and busses are available to placencia where there are many more of the same.
here is a typical crowded day in maya beach.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8797121@N07/2110797249/in/set-72157600368695768/
maya breze is just past the pier with the thatch. theirs is the green zink pier.
feel free to ask me any other questions as i live in maya beach for awhile now.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Contacts in Placencia - 02/11/08 02:55 AM
Barn: Don't you have a guide dog you can loan 'em?
Posted By: Barnacle Re: Contacts in Placencia - 02/11/08 02:51 PM
loan,, no
rent,, maybe!
Posted By: purplelady Re: Contacts in Placencia - 02/12/08 08:31 PM
thanks Barnacle. Ready for some sun, sand, beer, and everything else!!! Dreary, cold, and snowing in Illinois. Loved your picture show and your dog. We have a golden retriever that looks similar, but fatter (winter weight like his owners). Hope to see you maybe. How long have you lived on maya beach? Plane gets in at 1130. Hope to be there by dark.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board