AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Diane Campbell Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/01/06 05:33 PM
We recently had the Whale Shark migration adventure of a lifetime.
Highly Recommend - SeaHorse Dive Shop, Placencia.
Posted By: JZB Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/01/06 09:49 PM
I second that. We dove with Brian at SeaHorse several years ago and thought they were amazing. They truly care about the whalesharks and make their wellbeing a priority.
Posted By: Pam&Dave Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/01/06 11:30 PM
Were you able to take pictures of those magnificent creatures? If so, would you consider sharing them on the message board? There was a picture of a Whale Shark taken by Cullen Walker in the "picture of the day" a while back. It was amazing! I would imagine it is a life changing experience to swim in the same waters as the elusive Whale Shark.
Posted By: swanno Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/02/06 05:01 PM
We dived with Brian at the full moon in April. Incredible experience saw 5 whale sharks on 2 dives. Pictures just do not do justification to these magnificent creatures, having a 35 feet creature cruising 10 feet above you in clear blue water is something really special
I have some photos anyone know how to add them to the board?
Colin
Posted By: swanno Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/03/06 03:02 AM
Thanks to KLCMAN for helping me post the pictures..So here are 4 pix of the Whale Sharks

[img]http://static.flickr.com/52/180310847_c5d4e6920d.jpg?v=0/[/img]

[img]http://static.flickr.com/47/180310846_c3656194fc.jpg?v=0[/img]

[img]http://static.flickr.com/70/180310849_3c64c65ccb.jpg?v=0[/img]

[img]http://static.flickr.com/55/180310848_0cb3c945ae.jpg?v=0][/img]
Posted By: Wendy Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/03/06 04:53 AM
eek laugh Amazing! It would be a dream come true for me!! Thanks KLC for helping and thank you for sharing.
Posted By: Pam&Dave Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/03/06 05:13 AM
swanno,
WOW - Amazing - That must have been incredible watching that wide-open HUGE mouth coming towards you! What an adventure. Another one of nature's many miracles.
Posted By: swanno Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/03/06 02:31 PM
I missed one shot of my wife positioned in front of the shark with the open mouth, the mouth must have been 5 feet across I thought she was going to be swallowed up.
The pictures just do not do justice to these creatures, having done some 500 odd dives all over the world I have never had such a memorable dive.
If you get a chance to go to Placencia during the 4 or 5 days around the full moon don't hesitate just book a trip with Brian at Seahorse. If there are whale sharks out there Brian will find them!!

Colin
Posted By: Bobber Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/03/06 04:07 PM
Swanno, just totally awesome. That would be the high point of anyones diving experience. Hopefully some day.
Posted By: NYgal Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/03/06 04:10 PM
Jonah!..... smile

Beautiful and amazing pics.
Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/04/06 02:50 AM
WOW! Thanks . . .
Posted By: Wendy Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/04/06 06:15 AM
laugh Would you post the picture you missed?
Please...
Posted By: swanno Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/04/06 02:47 PM
Wendy unfortunately I missed taking a shot of my wife nearly being swallowed I saw the shot but couldn't press the button in time
However, "by popular demand" here are a few other photos

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Colin
Posted By: klcman Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/04/06 05:21 PM
Hey Colin -

Nice job with the new post! - quick learner! laugh
Posted By: Pam&Dave Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/04/06 05:49 PM
Thanks again Colin - you brought this topic to life!
klcman - he was taught by the best.
Happy 4th cool
Posted By: swanno Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/04/06 06:01 PM
Kerry
Thanks for the advice on the flickr.com site, it works really well. Initially I got a bit confused with adding the [img][/img] but it all worked out OK. I'll have to go through my other thousands of Belize Diving pix and post some of the really good ones.

Colin
Posted By: Hon Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/04/06 06:42 PM
Colin, you and your wife are so priviliged to have had this experience...amazing.
Posted By: Sam Scuba Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/05/06 01:49 AM
AWEsome, Diane. Thanks for sharing the photos. Just looking at them I vascilated between thrill and chill--but my husband and I have this dive on our "must do" list. Glad to have a dive operator recommendation too.
Sam
Posted By: Phil Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/05/06 02:10 AM
Great shots Swanno, I didn't go this year after going three years running with Brian, and miss it seeing your shots. We have always been lucky and seen them each day. Brian is good and can get busy so book early if planning on going. It is amazing to see another animal that big, that close and in the wild. That last shot looks like a Nuclear Sub passing over!!! Swanno, how far either side of full moon were you diving there, or was it right on the full moon.
Posted By: Wendy Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/05/06 06:51 AM
smile Thank you! I now understand that you missed taking the shot of your wife at it's mouth. You didn't miss posting it... laugh
Posted By: Now Danny Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/05/06 09:27 AM
Colin, great pics and please post more.
Posted By: swanno Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/05/06 06:18 PM
Casa
We normally stick to the local dives with Amigos Del Mar in AC but we decided to have an overnight day trip to Placencia.
We were in Placencia just for 1 dsy on the 5th day after the full moon. Normally the sharks are around 4 days before and after the full moon. We were just so lucky..its very hit and miss, some days they don't see anything or only see 1 in the distance. We saw 4 within 5 minutes of being in the water!!
I know Brian keeps detailed logs of what days they see sharks and he can probably advise you on the best time to go.

Colin
Posted By: Phil Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/05/06 06:58 PM
Well Diving needs is a lot luck, but something special like the Snapper Spawn helps a lot. Brian had said sightings can happen up to 12 days after full moon and are then often for the whole dive then as they're hungry due to less spawn, so I was interested to see where you were in terms of the full moon. Last year having just seen a 35footer glide past I managed to be looking the wrong way as a Great Hammerhead appeared that everyone else saw, and we then we got to play with a pod of Dolphins on the surface at the end - that's a dive that will be tough to beat!!
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Seahorse Dive Shop - 07/05/06 07:40 PM
Our whale shark adventures were on 16 and 17 June.
Full moon was 11 June.
Brian said the whale sharks are around in July also but that the sea state can be a bit rough on divers by then. Seahorse was going to extend it's whale shark dives into July this year - so if you can take the potential of rough seas, you have one more chance to go.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board