AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Rains Produce Flooding In Toledo - 08/03/11 03:42 PM
The heavy rains over the last few days have produced flooding in Southern Belize. According to NEMO, in Golden Stream village - which is about 30 miles out of Punta Gorda, 15 homes are under four feet of water. Families have been relocated to the community center or moved in with their families. The good news is that the water is receding.
There's also less serious flooding in Jordan and Bladden villages where waters have reached but not crossed the first house near the river.

In Aguacate, the bridge has been closed because it is under three feet of water. The same In Blue Creek, where water is two feet above the bridge but water is receding.

Channel 7
Posted By: Marty Re: Rains Produce Flooding In Toledo - 08/03/11 03:47 PM

Toledo Villages experience flood

The National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) has issued two advisories today for residents of the south. Torrential rains have affected several low-lying communities in the Toledo District including the villages of Golden Stream, Aguacate, Blue Creek Jordan and Bladen, which are tonight a few feet under water. Approximately fifteen homes in Golden Stream have been reported under four feet of water, while in Aguacate flooding has raised the water level eight feet above the bridge. NEMO has since closed the causeway to vehicular traffic despite the water level decreasing by mid-morning. In Blue Creek which is situated to the northwest of Punta Gorda Town water was recorded at a foot above the bridge. That crossing has also been closed to vehicular traffic despite reports of water receding. Affected residents in Golden Stream have moved to the community center while others have opted to stay with their relatives. NEMO advises residents living in low-lying areas that are prone to flooding to remain on alert and, if necessary, be prepared to seek higher ground. Drivers, meanwhile, are being reminded to exercise extreme caution and not to venture onto flooded roads and other areas susceptible to flash flooding.

Channel 5

Posted By: Marty Re: Rains Produce Flooding In Toledo - 08/03/11 03:55 PM
FLOODING REPORTED IN TOLEDO DISTRICT

A number of families were affected by flood waters in Golden Stream Village in the Toledo District.

Paul Mahung reporting...
"Heavy rainfall during the hours of the night resulted in rising flood waters which caused a number of Golden Stream inhabitants to move to safety during the early morning hours. Quite visible at the flooded area was the presence of Village Chairman Santiago Pop and Alcalde Alfonso Cal who spoke of the Golden Stream experience.

Alfonso Cal - Alcalde, Golden Stream Village
"This is the second time I am seeing this flood since 1985 and it has affected 15 families, these families did not wait, heavy rains in the night they woke me up at three o'clock they woke me up. We saw water all over the house and the livestock that were locked down, we saw some of them were dead. This is the second time I am seeing this flood. We lost some livestock and some corn that was stacked in the house. We first saw to the family first, I went to Yax'Che where they have a dorey and brought it over and we started to move the people. The highway has about a feet and a half of water. We need the help of NEMO or Red Cross because we know children are not just waiting. I brought some families with me to help feed them but we can't feed everybody, but we can't allow everybody to struggle like that."

Paul Mahung - Reporter
Was anybody injured?

Alfonso Cal - Alcalde, Golden Stream Village
"No. As far as I know nobody was injured. They can't cook because of the flood in the house."

Along with representatives of the Red Cross Toledo, the Ministry of Human Development and Social Transformation, the Ministry of Health, Transport Department, Toledo NEMO coordinator Kenton Parham was in the area.

Kenton Parham - NEMO Coordinator
"When we came out this morning to look at the situation, we found that this was a very unusual flood. According to the Alcalde the last incident of this magnitude is about 26 years ago. We came in with relief supplies to do an assessment, 15 families have been affected. Their households have been inundated with water from one foot upward. We will be visiting other areas in the District to see the extent of flooding in other areas. I must commend the Chairman and the Alcalde from coming out from three o'clock and making sure that people are safe I think it is a good community effort. As we all know disaster management has to be community based so I want to commend them for the hard work. After the water has receded we will be sending in the damage assessment team to look at the farms and different issues so NEMO has been partially activated to address the flooding situation in the Toledo District."

Human Development and Social Transformation Minister Peter Eden Martinez was a morning visitor to the area.

Peter Eden Martinez - Minister of Human Development and Social Transformation "I'm very pleased to note that the water is already receding at the Golden Stream area. I spoke to one of the men who was affected and he explained that he has not seen the river come this high in his 30 years around here. We are pleased that no life has been lost even though we have had some livestock affected. The personnel from Human Development has already gone in to do an initial assessment and we are responding to that situation so hopefully we will be meeting the needs of the families who have been affected in the area."

The villagers hope that sunny weather conditions will continue throughout the day and clear skies tonight as life returns to normal in Golden Stream Village located some 28 miles out Punta Gorda on the Southern Highway."

LOVEFM
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board