AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: kippe Long Caye - 07/17/03 02:35 PM
Does anybody have any thoughts/knowledge about Long Caye?
Posted By: NYgal Re: Long Caye - 07/17/03 02:41 PM
Just a site to view...

http://www.longcayebelize.com/

I think someone from this board was purchasing there.
Posted By: kippe Re: Long Caye - 07/17/03 08:53 PM
Thanks! Have actually looked at the site and I thought the price for the parcels was reasonable. Don't trust those sites though, telling you how wonderful everything is. Hopefully there is somebody out there that has hands on experience and is not to busy haggling with lotusflames to check other posts!
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Long Caye - 07/18/03 02:36 AM
I think the parcels of land are ludicrously expensive,and who knows what will actually end up being built there.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Long Caye - 07/18/03 07:28 PM
Don't let them get you drunk and make you sign a bunch of papers!!
Posted By: kippe Re: Long Caye - 07/18/03 08:15 PM
Thank you! Now I know! Had a feeling something was not right! Anybody have any suggestions for land purchase anywhere else? I don't have a lot of money :rolleyes: , I am the one that always tell people to eat at the food stands in the park and rent a room laugh !
Can't wait to get back down, this time for the duration! Just don't tell me to buy a condo or anything, no can do! Don't want to, actually, even if I could.
Posted By: mayatravel Re: Long Caye - 07/18/03 08:31 PM
large lots on high ground on placencia peninsula. email gbtv@btl and ask for Stewart. If you are serious, contact Madeline at Emerald Futures, one of the better agents in the country-
Posted By: kippe Re: Long Caye - 07/18/03 08:49 PM
Thanks again! I am serious!
Posted By: susangg Re: Long Caye - 07/18/03 09:43 PM
Levittowns on tropical islands never turn out as advertised, and the developers usually go BK. People who buy into levittowns want all kinds of services and everything at their fingertips (or they wouldn't buy into a levittown, they'd go somewhere and do their own thing, knowing that they have to put in their own infrastructure and be self sufficient, like we are doing.) The developers promise services, but of course, businesses will not invest in the services (dive shops, stores, restaurants, medical clinics. etc.) until there is a critical mass of residents. And there won't be without the services.
So..the first row (beachfront) lots sell like hotcakes, maybe 2% of the buyers actually build, no services come, the rest of the buyers keep waiting to build until there are services, and eventually, the developers pull out. The few people who build will probably have lovely places (because the rest of the levittown didn't materialize).
I am watching this happening right now in Bocas del Toro archipelago in Panama and I can almost guarantee that it will happen on Long Caye too.
If you want to live in a "planned community" (levittown) you're probably better off in the US, in some coastal town.
Frankly, I am glad that Long Caye will never be what it is advertised to be because the environment cannot support the infrastructure for such a large development.
If being right near diving and snorkeling isn't important to you but you want reasonable prices, services within a reasonable drive and Belizean ambiance, try Consejo Shores north of Corozal. If you want to live on AC, there are plenty of lots for sale up north, and some very nice houses for sale in or near town. They are quite expensive (if on the waterfront, though there are some good deals a street or two back) and the cost of living on AC is high. There are also lots of condos for sale but you said you don't want a condo.
My advice is to make a decision tree and figure out where you want to live, why you want to live there, what your top 20 requirements are, and what your budget is. Then travel to the places that seem like they might meet those needs and spend some time there, talk to locals and other expats.
Buy Lan Sluders Adapter Kit Belize. You might also want to check out www.belizenorth.com for a lot of info on Northern Belize and the Corozal/Consejo area.
Placencia area is very beautiful and land prices may be more reasonable than AC but it is also very expensive to live there unless you plan to live off the land, rural Belizean style. It is remote, transportation is very expensive, shipping things there is pricey, there are few places to buy stuff, and public utilities are in a sorry mess. The people there still cannot get decent plain old telephone service.
If you are not in the "money is no object" category I think northern Belize, in the Corozal area and thereabouts is your best bet. Everything is cheaper there, especially energy, all kinds of shopping, medical services, etc. is very close by in Chetumal. The downside is that you are not near the reef and it does not have the clear water for diving and snorkeling that you have on AC (but the swimming is fine!)
Posted By: NYgal Re: Long Caye - 07/18/03 10:19 PM
kippe, we bought on the mainland between Dangriga and Hopkins, lots of sea frontage. Lovely area, at least we have no complaints smile

Each to their own preferences of where to live.

We eventually will live there. Right now it's being cleared and we have the dock in too. laugh

Hopefully we will have visitors from everywhere to will come to see us. smile

Another reason for a reunion..... cool
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Long Caye - 07/18/03 10:37 PM
Where do I sign up for Levittown?
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 12:06 AM
I actually know someone trying to sell a lot just S of Hopkins near Jaguar Reef Resort. US$25K. email me for info.

About Long Caye -to be fair, I did hear from another travel agent who went out to see the new hotel development that it was quite impressive. State of the art this & that, very large palapa structure restaraunt, cabana accommodations. Nothing a good hurricane can't take care of! wink
kidding, kidding, kidding!!!

I will probably never book them until they prove to me that their motivations are honorable, if possible, and see if they "go the distance" in Belize. They were talking of a large project in Cayo as well. Another thing worth watching.
Posted By: klcman Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 12:26 AM
NYG - can I swim off your dock, if I promise not to lose the T-shirt?
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 12:31 AM
I agree with Bill Levittown looks better
Posted By: NYgal Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 12:43 AM
Sure klc, you have to keep that shirt salted ! laugh
Posted By: klcman Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 12:57 AM
encrusted wink
Posted By: NYgal Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 01:24 AM
encrusted, encrusted...hammering it in my head smile
Posted By: kippe Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 05:44 AM
OK guys, here you go again. I ask a simple question about a Caye, am seriously looking for a piece of land, am moving permanently to Belize end of this summer, and yes I have spent plenty of time there to know that that is what I want to do, hopefully about a year and a half in two years will do, and to those of you who answered me with serious advice and suggestions, thank you, to those of you who want to send me to some development in the States, I think you should go there and stay, Susangg, where do you live?, I didn't ask for a lecture on developments, however any place that mentions solar panels interest me, and please keep the t-shirts out of this :rolleyes: Thank godness lotusflames is probably ready to get married, can't even imagine where this would go if he got involved! Although I will miss his wit! And why can't the wit stay in the chat area where it belongs anyway? i love to read all your silly comments, but right now, I don't have time to, whatever.....
Posted By: Chloe Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 12:24 PM
Kippe, four of the above Boarders, do OWN land/dwellings in Belize presently. Two others book travelers there daily. Note valid info, and some humor.

Take their postings as conditioning for yourself, in preparation for living in Belize. Two important clues, good info, and sense of humor, with money are requirements to live in Belize. This is a Good Thing.
Posted By: kippe Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 01:52 PM
Chloe, I know you have been on this bord for a long time, but I think you should let other posters speak for themselves. And, I forgot, susangg, I have recommended belizenorth.com as a good site to look at for all kinds of info, on this board none the less AND, no offense to Lan, but I am only holding on to the Adapterkit Belize so I can give it to a BELIZIAN friend in SP, since he is quoted in there somewhere. It is now a little dated, to many things change to fast. It is still a good source of info for basic facts. I think I am getting defensive here, but don't treat people like ignorant fools, just because they start a post subject with a valid question. And also, I knowsome of you have lots of many, building very inappro
Posted By: Chloe Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 02:05 PM
Kippe, I am so sorry, did not mean to be anything but helpful here.
Posted By: kippe Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 02:10 PM
don't know what happened, wasn't finished frown ...What really upsets me is the development up North, with one ugly, non-belizian style house after the other popping up as close to the beach as is allowed, very ostentatious, very American, talk about a Levittown for people with mucho green bills!! Right back to you!
Posted By: NYgal Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 02:13 PM
Ya know kippe, we really try to give information. Some people, such as yourself chose to only think about "off topics."

When someone offers information, generally one says, thank you and goes on about their merry way. Then this????

Sometimes I wonder what do others think ? Today, I know. One more unhappy board mate. frown

Do you wish to have other message board addresses? You don't seem to be successful in finding what you want, at your disposal.

Hope you find what you want in Belize. smile
Posted By: kippe Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 02:14 PM
Chloe, I know you were! And you have given tons of good advice on this board!
Posted By: kippe Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 02:23 PM
NYgal, I am generally very happy with the answers I get to my questions on this board! And I have said thank you many times. As in previous post! Don't get so defensive! And I am a member of other boards whose members tend to answer the questions I ask, no more, no less.
Posted By: Chloe Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 02:28 PM
Thank you Kippe.
Posted By: NYgal Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 02:28 PM
Throw in a smile or two so we know you are with us and not against us. We do like you kippe, just wondered if you were not happy with help.

Glad you were able to come back smile
Posted By: NYgal Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 03:05 PM
kippe, that lot that BarbaraK mentioned is low end price, on the sea, FYI.
I'm sure there are other lots for sale, just don't really understand what you are seeking.

Solar panels are used in many places in Belize. There is a house near our land that had solar. No one is there, living, right now, it's for rent.
Sorry I don't know the contact number as we were not looking at the house to rent. Someone may know, but I don't.

Money is a big factor in moving to Belize, if you intend to buy, build or whatever. You mentioned something about money, it's the only reason I brought it up. smile
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 03:13 PM
Kippe - a quick note if you [#%!] off the people,or do not generally like them,that actually live here.
1. Why would you want to move here?
2. Advice is given freely but has to be tempered.
3.Everyone who lives here has been ripped off-generally by not believing what they are told but believing what they want to hear.
4.This post was about Long Caye-and has been answered.
5.If you post a message be nice because people will help you save money but they want to have fun as well.
6.My advice is develop a sense of humour rapidly.
7.If you do not follow advice of 6-you will be one of the failures in living in Belize.
8.Remember we have seen 1000s of people coming to live here and last less than three months
Posted By: Mosquitorose Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 04:35 PM
Short Observation: a sense of humor is very important..especially if you're thinking of living in belize, where everyday can be quite humorous...hahahaah
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 07:41 PM
Hi Kippe: I am sorry if my comment about getting drunk and signing papers was offensive. But, these developments are like that. I do know of a local development adjacent to San Pedrito, on the lagoon side, that is "local" and affordable. It is not "prime-time" by tourist standards, but is DOABE if you want to live in San Pedro. If interested, email me at [email protected]. Take care: Bill PS. I have no vested interest in this project...a friend of mine owns and develops this land. PSS. My friend will not get you drunk and make you sign a bunch of papers. As a matter of fact, he probably won't talk to you about the property if you have been drinking.
Posted By: kippe Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 09:27 PM
Guys, went on-line to check my mail and decided to check and see if somebody had actually suggested to not only throw me off the board, but the island as well. :rolleyes: Some of you might not believe this, but I do have a couple of friends in San Pedro, albeit mostly Belizians wink ,although some are gringos as well, I consider San Pedro my home, have been living here on and off, more on for two years, unfortunately off for the summer, am trying to get serious about where to finally plant my feet in Belize, therefore the lack of humor as far as the land issue goes, I supposedly have a great sense of humor, and I am indeed looking for a piece of land. The confusion about what I am looking for probably comes from the fact that I am also looking for some friends, who are moving down this winter and whose pockets are somewhat deeper than mine! Sorry about that! Thanks for suggestion Bill, will e-mail you! And you are right, some of us actually live in San Pedro and don't drink, at least not excessively, except for on rare occations, usually when our feelings are hurt and then we drink alone! I think I will have a drink now! And Pedro1, I really don't get you! confused , are you the guy that stands by the airstrip and checks people out to see if they are suitable for San Perdo or not? Just kidding! Oh, and yes, I have been ripped off, who hasn't? in closing: love you, sorry, thank you!
Posted By: NYgal Re: Long Caye - 07/19/03 10:08 PM
Ya gotta love him smile
Posted By: Mosquitorose Re: Long Caye - 07/20/03 04:42 AM
him? its a him? hahahha ok.....
Posted By: susangg Re: Long Caye - 07/20/03 08:49 AM
This guy Kippe seems kind of like a jerk, doesn't he? No class. He asks questions and when he doesn't like the answer, he attacks the people who were nice enough to respond. Seems like the kind of fellow who likes to hear the sound of his own voice a lot even though he has little of any substance to say on any topic..just a lot of yak yak yak. Boring, actually.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Long Caye - 07/21/03 12:03 AM
Susangg: That was the shortest post I have ever seen from you. And none of your excellent points were numbered. Not feeling well? PS. I know Kippe, and she is a very nice women and a friend to San Pedro.
Posted By: NYgal Re: Long Caye - 07/21/03 02:25 AM
OOPS, I guess I took a wild guess it was a guy. eek
Thanks Bill
Posted By: klcman Re: Long Caye - 07/21/03 02:45 AM
50/50 win some lose some wink
Posted By: Mosquitorose Re: Long Caye - 07/21/03 10:30 PM
now see what u made me do NY? hahahahhahaah
Posted By: NYgal Re: Long Caye - 07/21/03 10:44 PM
laugh
So Solly, MR smile
Posted By: kippe Re: Long Caye - 07/22/03 01:19 PM
Ya, OK, Bill is right, I am indeed a gal! Kippe was the nickname given to me by my friends while still in school, my mother insisted to call me Krissan, my father didn't call me anything much that I can remember, my brother called me by names better not mentioned in public and my teachers called me Kristina. I graduated to become Mrs...., George's wife, then Taki's mom, "bosslady" and am in SP, much to my horror, known mostly as "Kris". That should do it! :rolleyes:
Posted By: Chloe Re: Long Caye - 07/22/03 04:37 PM
Thanks Kippe, that explains all.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Long Caye - 07/22/03 08:44 PM
Way to go, KRIS!!!!
Posted By: NYgal Re: Long Caye - 07/22/03 09:49 PM
Hi Kris smile
Posted By: kippe Re: Long Caye - 07/23/03 03:09 PM
Hi guys! that should do it for Long Caye! to bad the resort doesn't offer free tours, we could all eat and drink and be merry and take pictures with our new free camera and Bill could bring one of his crooks, they do allow pets, don't they?! :rolleyes: Barbarak and Bill, you are wonderful, thanks!
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Long Caye - 07/23/03 05:06 PM
and others can bring their bull.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Long Caye - 07/25/03 06:53 AM
Well, a lot of bull has been tossed around this board already, so I'll add my BS!
Long Caye at Lighthouse Atoll is nothing like Ambergris Caye and never will be. Just like people in San Pedro like to chant “We don't want to be another Cancun” Long Caye does not want to be another San Pedro. I love San Pedro; I have an apartment in downtown (LOL) and am buying into one of the new Villas. I consider that I live in San Pedro.

There are many people on this board who own lots on Long Caye. We have mostly learned to keep our mouths shut. I will get crucified for this post but here goes.

I bought two lots in the Loggerhead Reserve section several years ago. I bought into an idea about a way of life that I, personally, find valuable. I have never thought of this as a place to live, day in and day out. My intention is to have a small cabana where I can go for a week or two and dive my brains out. But it is where people pay their big bucks to go to dive. The west wall off of Long Caye is spectacular – however, it is a 2-hour boat ride from A/C. A number of operators in San Pedro make their money running trips out there.

The developers had a grand vision – I have verbalized to them that I think they have lost their focus. Like so many others, I think they got greedy and expanded the plan beyond the original concept, then got bogged down in politics and environmental issues.

The development is behind schedule, but I knew I was buying in Belize and knew I would have to be patient. There is a small resort open now with a very large restaurant attached that is almost finished. The medical center is almost finished. I know this to be a fact as I was on the island this past March and Spent time with Steve, the owner/ developer of Long Caye Resort. Hustler's Tours is now taking, weather permitting, people out for overnight or longer trips. I know this as I dive with Hustler's and the owner referred to me as “their photographer.”

Because of one of the really bad rip offs in AC (that I will politely not name), where people on this board lost a lot of money, I started a message board for people interested in Long Caye. You might want to look at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LongCaye_Chat

Honestly, I don't think this is what you are looking for now, I just wanted to respond to your original question. Good luck. I look forward to meeting you.
Harriette cool
Posted By: kippe Re: Long Caye - 07/25/03 03:05 PM
Thanks Harriette! I am very impressed by your honesty! And don't worry about this board, you find out really quickly who is really trying to help you, who knows who, and from reading between the lines, who has been ripped off and are therefore not happy, that sort of thing! You actually know me a little. I was checking out the site for friends, will forward the yahoogroup thing to them. I know it is not for me. I am looking into Cayo for my little "cabana". Are you in San Pedro now? I will be back for good sometime end of August, beginning of September. Kristina, like in the Hideaway, breakfast at Lily's....that sort of know me!
Posted By: NYgal Re: Long Caye - 07/25/03 03:17 PM
kippe
The person I had mentioned in my earlier posts was the one that has recently responded. I am glad she was able to give you the information you were seeking. smile

I didn't wish to name drop.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Long Caye - 07/26/03 05:33 PM
Kippe
Ah, breakfast at Lily's. Can't beat it. I miss my breakfast club sooo much. Louis is taking care of my apartment - I'm hoping it is raining enough that he doesn't have to water the way I did.
I will be back in September, whether or not my house has sold. I can't stand the thought of being away longer.
I've told everyone here (in California) that I will not be coming back for the holidays this year and I want a prolonged stay in San Pedro. I've run back and forth too many times this year.
So, I'll see you when you get back.
Harriette cool
BTW – I watched you dance your ass off at Fido's one Saturday night. Remember, when Linda Chorney from New York was signing. I love her CD—especially The Island Boys.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Long Caye - 07/27/03 09:30 AM
Harriette: Was that Linda Chorney signing or singing? Bill
Posted By: kippe Re: Long Caye - 07/27/03 02:08 PM
Bill, don't you ever sleep confused Ya, Harriette, I like to shake, rattle and roll. Am working on the darn Punta, don't think I will ever get it, but it seems I am forgiven for my shortcomings!
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Long Caye - 07/28/03 09:59 AM
I'm here keeping an eye on the free world while yah day people sleep. Someone has too!!
Posted By: mossback Re: Long Caye - 08/14/03 04:42 PM
RE: solar power. Unless you are VERY qualified, have lots of money and are willing to make a major lifestyle change, forget solar. Solar energy has to be stored in batteries. Large projects require large (expensive) batteries that have limited lives. Where do you suppose the folks at Long Caye will dispose of these large, nasty batteries? Oh, they'll tell you solar is coming, while running their generators. You know, the ones that need oil changes (where does the spent oil go). Did you notice how close they are to one of the most pristine dive locations in the world? No, they won't be another San Pedro, they'll trash it first.

Solar energy is very inefficient. It has to be stored as DC (direct current)then inverted to AC (alternating current) so you can use it in your everyday appliances and loses 15-20% in the inversion process. Forget a fridge, too much usage. Same for washing machine, air conditioner or anything else with a large AC motor or compressor (do dive shops and recompression chambers sound like they fall in this category?).

Every community in Belize that has used solar has switched to grid electricity at the first opportunity. Does that tell you something? Any expectations of getting grid electricity to Long Caye?

Solar (and wind) sounds nice, but it is not for most people and won't be for a long time. In theory it's great: every second, enough energy falls on the earth's surface in the form of solar power to supply the world's electrical needs for a year.

Sorry to sound negative, just relaying the reality of it.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board