AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: trina Area of Corazol Town - 04/28/02 02:04 AM
Does anyone know about the area around Corazol town? If there's any sites to see in that area? My husband and I will be staying in San Pedro soon. We plan on doing a lot of snorkeling, but want to do a day trip to the mainland. Not necessarily with a group excursion, but more just going on our own, maybe a hike or bird watching. Can anyone familiar with this area make a suggestion? We are very much nature lovers and interested in local flora and fauna.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: Area of Corazol Town - 04/28/02 05:43 PM
I love Corozal Town and environs. It's untouristy, friendly, safe and cheap, and the Bay of Chetumala/Corzal is beautiful.

Having said that, there's not a whole lot to do or see. There are two *small* museums, a small Maya site near town (Santa Rita) and another site with a wonderful setting on the water across the bay (Cerros). To see much outside of town, you really need a car. It's an interesting day trip to Sarteneja and Shipstern. There are some cheap good restaurants such as Cafe Kela and Cactus and most of the lodging is under US$50 or $60.

You can fly to Corozal from San Pedro, but I don't know that I would do it just as a day trip. It's the kind of place where you need at least a couple of days to settle in.

--Lan Sluder www.belizefirst.com
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board