AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Katie Valk Last night in Belize City - 04/21/05 12:28 PM
What began as a peaceful student demonstration in front of the PMs home yesterday afternoon, ended last night with criminal gangs looting some stores on and near Albert St in the heart of the city. I would stay out of the downtown area unless you need to catch a water taxi. Listen to the news. I'm saddened, but not disheartened by these events. We'll figure it out. Nor am I concerned for my safety and will be drving downtown in a few hrs time, like alot of other people who still start their day as normally as possible.
Posted By: NYgal Re: Last night in Belize City - 04/21/05 12:33 PM
Nicely selected words Katie.
Thank you.
Posted By: Emily Re: Last night in Belize City - 04/21/05 03:06 PM
I have freinds stranded in Charlotte, SC. They are trying to get to San Pedro. What is the lastest news from Belize regarding the Airport opening back up? They were skcoked that the Airport had been closed in Belize.
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Last night in Belize City - 04/21/05 04:30 PM
i just returned from downtown Belize City where all is calm and even the taxi drivers were polite. I hearthe first AA and US air flight into Belize are canceled, but check with the airlines
Posted By: rumpunch Re: Last night in Belize City - 04/21/05 11:46 PM
The airport was not closed. USAirways lied to
their passengers. Other flights went into Goldson today after USAirways cancelled.
This is now prominently posted on the home page of US Air's web site:

>>

Due to circumstances in Belize, US Airways has relaxed its travel policies for passengers whose travel may be affected. For the latest flight details, please check your flight and gate information.

These re-accommodation procedures are available to passengers ticketed from April 21-24 2005.

Re-accommodation Procedure
For flights originally scheduled for this time period, US Airways will waive the standard change fee, advance reservation or ticketing requirements.

The entire itinerary can be moved forward or delayed, up to fourteen days from the scheduled origination date. The length of the trip cannot be changed.

Full value of wholly unused tickets can be applied toward the purchase of a ticket to an alternate destination, with travel to originate within seven days of the scheduled origination date.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: rastapasta Re: Last night in Belize City - 04/22/05 04:21 AM
Just a quick note... Katie very well explained. There are no problems elsewhere in the country. This pressure is really in just the Belize City area. The International Airport is 30 minutes from Belize City and you can fly directly to most tourist oriented destinations never seeing Belize City. I got stuck in Belize City last night and we definitely have important humanitarian issues to work through and now with the publicity it will force mediation to happen soon. Caye Caulker is at our usual slow pace ... was in Orange Walk yesterday.. just like any other day in Orange Walk.. as in the rest of our beautiful country. Katie... where's Passover? nuff love Maralyn
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Last night in Belize City - 04/22/05 04:23 AM
Do you guys think this situation will be a day by day thing as far as the airlines? My vacation is in 2 weeks and I can't wait to get there! Flying AA from Sac to Dallas, Dallas to BC.
Posted By: rastapasta Re: Last night in Belize City - 04/22/05 04:23 AM
By the way..I was also in Belize City most of today... less folks on the street but still got everything for my restaurant and water taxi's & buses on schedule. I also felt very safe and know we will work through this. White candle lit and prayers for peace Maralyn
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Last night in Belize City - 04/22/05 04:25 AM
Good to hear, Maralyn. Thanks. The only stop I will make is at the aiport - Jet's Bar!
Posted By: rastapasta Re: Last night in Belize City - 04/22/05 04:25 AM
Laurie Mar... I've been here over 15 years and I would not worry Paradise awaits you! M
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Last night in Belize City - 04/22/05 04:33 AM
M: I met you a few years ago at your restaurant. I came there for a day and ate lunch. I will be doing the very same thing soon. Great food and location.

On that day, the guy from I & I (?) reggae bar with swings opened the bar and let me go upstairs on the swing, Rolling Stones blaring out of the speakers. I had fun!
Posted By: GailM Re: Last night in Belize City - 04/22/05 03:11 PM
Hey Laruie,
Don't worry - you and Gela will get to where you need to be!!! I gave you Karen's number and if you run into any problems, give her a call. Heck, if she has time, she may even meet you for a drink at the airport-will mention it to her.
PS still waiting for a cheap flight to come up, didn't happen this week but maybe next week...
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Last night in Belize City - 04/22/05 06:33 PM
City was quiet last night and quiet today. Biz as usual. Teachers joinned BTL workers on strike.
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Last night in Belize City - 04/23/05 11:37 PM
Gail: Gela and I are ready to rock and roll, but tonight I have to fly to NYC. Sure wish it was Belize. Oh well, 12 more sleeps!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board