AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/08/11 02:24 PM
Burgeoning eco-resort development company Amble Resorts has acquired the 80-acre southern tip of the island known as Long Caye in Belize. The island sits on Lighthouse Reef, a remote coral atoll in the world's second largest barrier reef system. Amble plans to create an ecologically responsible resort on Long Caye for those who crave privileged access to some of the Caribbean's most spectacular natural sites.

A white-sand paradise, Long Caye's singular proximity to premier diving makes it an ideal site for a world-class resort. The Great Blue Hole, made famous by Jacques Cousteau, is revered as one of the world's must-see dive sites, but most divers must undergo a two-hour boat ride over open sea to get there. Once Amble's resort on Long Caye is complete, guests will be just minutes from the famous site, as well as another two dozen prime dive locations, including Half Moon Wall, the Aquarium and Cathedral.

The key to the resort's success will be Amble's passionate dedication to sustainability, a passion shared by the property's former owners, Long Caye Belize. Blake Ross, director of Long Caye Belize, would not have sold this rare parcel to just anyone. "We are excited about our partnership with Amble Resorts - sustainability is at the heart of our shared mission," says Ross. "The team at Long Caye has worked diligently over the years to preserve this pristine, unique eco-system. We know Amble will continue to do the same, while welcoming visitors who come to experience the paradise that is the Lighthouse Reef." Ross is part of the small group that has owned Long Caye since 1968, and will maintain an interest in Amble's resort project.

Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/09/11 05:05 AM
He who laughs last laughs longest! Hello all you out there who have chided me for years for owning lots on Long Caye.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/09/11 01:17 PM
Belize has made some steps to preserve its ecology when it comes to the marine eco-system by setting up marine reserves. But it lacks severely when it comes to anything to do with land development. Building a 30 room hotel and 100 homes on this parcel on Long Caye is anything but "sustainable development" and is a farce to be called eco-development. It is destruction of what should be a national park for greed and money.
And Scubaldy, anyone supporting this has no business, and is hypocritical, to say they are supportive of sustainable development. You voice your opposition to projects like South Beach and others on Ambergris Caye, but then support projects on Long Caye by purchasing there and voicing support for this project.
Laughing because others like you are destroying parts of Belize is not a laughing matter to some of us. IMO, you are not in good company.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/09/11 01:38 PM
According to their website the haven't even completed a resort yet. Not like they have much experience in "eco-resort development".
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/09/11 04:00 PM
Warren - at least I am trying.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/09/11 04:01 PM
There are now three different lodging choices on Long Caye and a dive shop. Let's see what these new people have in mind.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/09/11 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
Warren - at least I am trying.

Exactly what are you trying? As far as I can tell all you are trying is to promote two developments on Long Caye that if anyone looked at the number of parcels and hotel rooms planed, it would be obvious that this kind of population density far exceeds any reasonable numbers that only can happen at the expense of the environment.
It seems highly hypocritcal to me that you oppose much development on Ambergris Caye along with opposition to traffic and taxis north of the bridge and the proposed plan for street lights in that area while promoting these kind of developments on Long Caye.
You need to be consistant in your philosophy of "only take pictures and only leave bubbles" when it comes to the water and not have a philosophy when it comes to land of take pictures and then build as many stuctures as you can.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/09/11 07:05 PM
I read their website and it looks like they plan pretty low density and plan to meet the eco-guidelines. I have fought for the protection of Long Caye even harder than I fight to save Ambergris Caye. I am very consistent - or at least try to be.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/09/11 07:11 PM
How can you call it "low density" when they are planing a hundred home sites and the development you bought into has - how many? Too many for me to count but looks to be in the hundreds.
http://www.belizeislandrealestate.com/enlarged_master_plan.htm
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/10/11 03:11 AM
Just to make the math easy --- let's say that the hotel and paths take up 30 acres. That would leave 50 acres for 100 homes = � acre each. That seems low density to me.
Posted By: cracked up Re: Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/10/11 04:25 AM
100 lots? There goes the mangroves, there goes Long caye.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/10/11 10:01 AM
The 100 lots is just the one new development. Take a look at the one Scubaldy bought into and see if that looks like low density.
http://www.belizeislandrealestate.com/enlarged_master_plan.htm

PS: Question for Scubaldy: Since you seem to be the unoffical spokesperson and promoter, at least on this message board, of the two developments on Long Caye, looking at block 47 for example, I see roads around the perimeter but how does one access the lots that do not boarder the perimeter?
Are those narrow paths between lots?
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/10/11 03:37 PM
Warren
Yes, every lot has access via paths much like 'way up north' here. Many of us on the northern end bough multiple lots. We can not cover more than 20% of our property.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/10/11 04:19 PM
OK, let's hope all the neighbors that are a "paths length away" get along well together in this "low density" development.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Amble Resorts Buys Long Caye - 06/11/11 01:45 PM
Yea, lets hope so - better than the condo neighbors on AC do! LOL
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board