AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Nisbet-Cansino Ready For Cari Shores - 11/04/11 02:20 PM

Chandra Nisbet-Cansino Ready For Cari Shores: PM Wife With Her

And while Fonseca's swearing in as the PUP's Parliamentary leader was surely a major event for his family - one relative who was not there was his sister in law Chandra Nisbet.

That's because she was busy organizing herself to run in the Caribbean Shores convention for the UDP. That's right, this UDP hopeful's sister is the leader of the opposition's wife. Today we discussed that odd connection and her candidacy in front of her family home on "A" Street in Caribbean Shores - where she had one very important supporter on hand.

Jules Vasquez
"What was the clincher for you?"

Chandra Nisbet-Cansino
"Well the clincher for me is the clincher for most things that I do is my passion for what I do, Yes it's a big decision that I had to make, I am married, I've been married for 16 years to the same man, I have two children and I am aware of the dangers of politics, and how it can get dirty and all of that and so I did have to think a lot about it. But I have a clean conscious and I have a clean record, and I decided that it's time to make the change, Jules. It's time to make the change, women always stay behind, and they figure they have to climb up the ranks. I just figure to dive in and just do it."

Jules Vasquez
"You have never faced a convention. Mike Singh has experience, Ann Marie has experience, Santi has experience. It could be said that you are nowhere in their class as political veteran."

Chandra Nisbet-Cansino
"Well I wouldn't say I don't have any experience, I have taught about it which is not much experience. But I grow up in a family were politics was part of our everyday lives. My mom ran for the City council election in 1982 or 84 and she topped the polls. I mean we were around all during that time. I have a lot of relatives who are politicians and so I know a lot about the game of politics."

Jules Vasquez
"How do you manage the multiple relations you alluded to the fact that you have relatives in politics; Santi I know is your cousin, Francis Fonseca is you brother-in-law, he married your sister and John Brice�o's wife is your husband's sister. How do you manage these many things?"

Chandra Nisbet-Cansino
"And you say I don't have experience in politics. Let just say there are very interesting their Christmas gatherings. We have absolutely no problems, Francis and John have chosen their party I have chosen mine, they are where they want to be, I am where I want to be I have absolutely no problem with that."

Jules Vasquez
"Years ago Boots Martinez said he wrote the book on how to beat a millionaire, when he beat Tony Leslie in a convention. Without speaking out of turn, you might have to beat two, and politics is often a money game. Who has the most money can often have the best advertisement, the most t-shirts, the most signs, and a lot of times the most voters. How will you overcome the fact that you are not as wealthy or successful as Santino Castillo or Mike Singh?"

Chandra Nisbet-Cansino
"Well first of all I think that it's somewhat of an insult to the constituencies of Caribbean Shores to assume that their votes have to be bought. I think Caribbean Shores constituents are very intelligent people and they know how to distinguish a good person, a good candidate from maybe one that is less good. I also need to say that I have had a lot of support, people that I would never thought would have come forth to support me are supporting my campaign. So money will not be a problem when it comes to getting the machinery in place."

Jules Vasquez
"In years I have known you, I have never known you to make an over political statement. Why have you chosen this time to come out visibly and publicly for Chandra Nisbet-Cansino?"

Kim Simplis Barrow
"I think it's very important that we step up and really start playing a role as women in this country. For there to be decisions that are being taken at a cabinet level where there is no women representative representing us, I think it's unfair for us as women and it puts us at a disadvantage."

Jules Vasquez
"Are we to interpret your presents, your involvement as the tacic, the implied support of the Prime Minister, who had said he won't get involved in this or any race."

Kim Simplis Barrow
"Well Jules, you know me to be a very independent person - a very independent minded person. I make my decisions as a woman and my husband respects me for that and I respect him for giving me that freedom. I make this decision on my own, and he can join me, he is welcome to join me and endorsee Chandra if he wants."

Kim Barrow and her husband the Prime Minister are Caribbean Shores constituents.

Channel 7

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board