AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Harley Davidson Convention In Belize - 02/08/14 09:43 AM
The first ever biker's convention is being held in Belize this weekend - and it's huge. Organizers are expecting 400 motorbikes with riders from as far as California and Panama and as close as Merida, Honduras and Guadalajara - and yes, they all rode here! Nigel Espat of the Black Pearl Cycle Club explained the importance of it today - as at least one hundred bikes were traffic blocking in front of his business Auto Zone on cemetery Road:..

Nigel Espat, Black Pearl Cycle Club Belize
"Being here is history in the making in Belize. It's the first ever Belize Bike rally. From here it's going to be an annual event but this is the first and so we are inviting everyone to come out. It is something unprecedented that never before this has happen and they all came because of the biker culture that we have been promoting. We have been representing Belize for the past 4 years in events in Mexico and in Central America."

Jules Vasquez
"Explain to me what have you seen out here that has viewers say wow nice bike?"

"Primarily what we are seeing are Harley Davidsons because they are the more popular ones, but like I said it's open to all makes and models. So we are seeing BMWs, Ducatti and there are some Cam Am Spiders I think. We've seen 2 Cam Ams' so far; one from Mexico and one from Honduras. Hondas, Yamahas all together - open."

Jules Vasquez
"What is the convention about? Is it just about free living and having a good time?"

"That's basically it. Also we are trying to promote Belize to a regional neighbor. The benefit we have in Belize is that we are able to unite Mexico and Central America."

Rene Marquez, Los Angeles, California
"We ride on a motorcycle my wife and I riding together. We left Los Angeles on Saturday Morning and it took us like 6 days. We came here yesterday and we made it through Belize, 3,200 miles or so, we cross the country of Mexico into Belize."

Jules Vasquez
"How was that experience?"

"It's extra-ordinary."

Jules Vasquez
"Why did you agree to this?"

Fely Marquez, Los Angeles, California
"I always support him what he wants."

Juan Carlos Apache, Merida Mexico
"Very happy, very happy, the people gave us a great reception, very good friends."

Daniel Ortiz
"Explain to me the spirit of the Harley Davidson fraternity. The fraternity is a free spirit."

Jules Vasquez
"And what is the appeal of the open road?"

"I cannot explain the feeling; it's wonderful to be on the road all the time on a bike meeting a lot of friends, a lot of bikers. It's totally a different experience."

Tonight the convention is having a rock concert on the grounds of the Hour Bar, and if you want to see them roar, they'll be having a ride through the city streets tomorrow morning followed by a Beach party at Old Belize. The convention is being held under the theme, Meeting in the Middle, or Encuentro al Media Camino.

Channel 7

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board