AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty The Cathedral Of History - 02/16/13 02:16 PM
St, John's Cathedral in Belize City is entering its third century and one devoted Anglican, who's been a member of the church for over 70 years is seeking to put it in historical perspective.

Marlene Leslie has written her second book. It's called, "The Cathedral Church of St. John The Baptist Through the Ages, 1812-2012." She says that the importance of the book is that in the history of the Church, we will find the history of the nation. It's a grand claim, but this proud Anglican gave an ample defence of it:..

Marlene Leslie, Author
"This Cathedral is Belize's history. I would like everyone who reads the book or who attends the launching remember and I should say all of Belize needs to remember that this is about Belize, not the Anglican Diocese or the Anglican Church. Our history starts here."

Jules Vasquez
"How did you reach that conclusion?"

Marlene Leslie, Author
"The conclusion is that the public meeting which we all know about was the deciding factor at which it was decided that they will build a church for the settlers."

Jules Vasquez
"It was built with slave labor. That's certainly nothing to laugh at, that's nothing to celebrate."

Marlene Leslie, Author
"Well it is because they left us with a legacy that no one else has and we need to be proud because most of the descendants of this country came from slaves. We have to be proud. This was known as the black man's church or the poor man's church; we have every right to be proud. We've kept the legacy and we continue to do that and will continue and my book as a commemorative edition is to mark the beginning of the 3rd century of this wonderful edifice."

The book is timed to commemorate the church's third century. The book is available at the Rectory Lane office of the Anglican Church.

Channel 7

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board