AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty The Island of San Pedro, 1976 - 03/02/15 11:37 AM

THIS IS AN AWESOME video about "The Island of San Pedro", from the 8mm archives made in 1976. In those days there were only 4 hotels, and Ambergris Caye was that time the wealthiest destination of Belize, thanks to the fishermen catching Lobsters and Shrimp to export to the United States. Thanks for sharing Wolfgang Wind... LOVE it

Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: The Island of San Pedro, 1976 - 03/04/15 09:19 PM
Great video, glad there is a change of attitude about eating the beautiful turtles though.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: The Island of San Pedro, 1976 - 03/05/15 04:21 PM
Very interesting. This is a story that I never heard before. Looks like this Al Felly guy was very important in the development of the island, especially the schools. Why has he been so forgotten?

So there were originally cars, not golf carts, on the island. Funny how we get history so distorted.
Posted By: ragman Re: The Island of San Pedro, 1976 - 03/05/15 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
Very interesting. This is a story that I never heard before. Looks like this Al Felly guy was very important in the development of the island, especially the schools. Why has he been so forgotten?

So there were originally cars, not golf carts, on the island. Funny how we get history so distorted.

Maybe the plaque on the clock should be changed or at least one of the tomb stones? wink
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: The Island of San Pedro, 1976 - 03/06/15 03:25 AM
Are there any tombstones left?
Posted By: elbert Re: The Island of San Pedro, 1976 - 03/06/15 11:19 AM
The first car was a land rover left by the British Army, used as a taxi. It was still here when I arrived. The second one I don't know, a surprise.

Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: The Island of San Pedro, 1976 - 03/06/15 02:45 PM
Remember the TransAm that belonged to Liborio's son? It sat under a tarp-shade beside the house on front street and was driven to the cut and back occasionally. If memory serves me correctly, it was blue with an elaborate thunderbird on the hood. A serious muscle-car!
And then there was the jeep belonging to Zack (aka Zack-attack)?
Posted By: Short Re: The Island of San Pedro, 1976 - 03/26/15 09:46 PM
Diane, is this the car you are talking about?
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: The Island of San Pedro, 1976 - 03/27/15 12:36 PM
Not unless it went into disrepair later in its life, it was a very fancy and nobody would have been allowed to lay down on it!
Posted By: klcman Re: The Island of San Pedro, 1976 - 03/27/15 10:26 PM
that is a '74 Ford Galaxie, big ole boat.........not a Trans Am muscle car
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board