AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: egcntrk Bringing Amer. beef thru BZ customs - 03/06/04 11:45 PM
Has Amer. beef importation been banned by Belize? We butcher our own & would like to bring a few steaks & hamburger with us. If we try & get caught, what are the penalties? eek
Posted By: ckocian Re: Bringing Amer. beef thru BZ customs - 03/07/04 06:50 AM
If we try & get caught, what are the penalties?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Penalties include a Belize Customs Officer having a good meal and not you laugh laugh

Before mad cows (and even before grouchy ones) you were allowed to bring in USDA inspected meat for personal consumption. Had to apply for a permit first from agriculture authorities in Belize and pick up and pay for it at the Quarantine Officer's office at the airport.

http://www.belize.gov.bz/cabinet/d_silva/welcome.shtml

This link is to the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries that has contact info on it.
Posted By: Phoenix East Re: Bringing Amer. beef thru BZ customs - 03/07/04 10:09 AM
jade garden, imported beef
Suggest that one's experience of Belize might be more fulfilling (and thoroughly yummy)if one experiences Belize as it is.
Posted By: Badco Re: Bringing Amer. beef thru BZ customs - 03/07/04 06:10 PM
Diane, belize IS yummy, but the brama beef is not worth buying, unless you like to suck your steak....Yes, bringing goods in causes a false economy, but if you want good meat, you gotta.
Having said that, we found a pretty good piece of meat at the Stained Glass Pub. This is just my view.
Posted By: Lady D Re: Bringing Amer. beef thru BZ customs - 03/07/04 06:21 PM
The best US steaks are at Caribe Island and Blue Water Grill. cool
Just have them cry-o-vac'ed, freeze 'em, pack 'em inside your luggage in a collapsible cooler and throw them in the 'fridge when you arrive. Like you, I enjoy a nice grilled beef and fish dinner on the beach while I'm there.

I seriously doubt bringing one or two partial meals' worth of food with you will have a damaging affect on the Belizean econonomy.

Come on, people.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Bringing Amer. beef thru BZ customs - 03/08/04 05:32 AM
Someone serves Argentinian Beef - don't remember who at the moment buit will check.
The fish served on Ambergris Caye is rather wonderful........the local food is quite good......isn't that's what travelling is all about?
Leave your American beef at home & enjoy all the
great local food. The seafood is the best I have
ever had & I've had it all over the world. I just got back from SP last night & would give anything to have a blackend Red Snapper for lunch today. They do great things with all the seafood. Every day I would go the pier in front of Aqua Marina
Suites where we stayed and watch the fisherman clean & fillet their catch & you knew it would be
on the restaurant tables that night. Doesn't get any fresher than that. You can get some great pork
dishes. If you are on the beach in town around
4:00 or so look for a woman who sells her homemade
"cheviche". Her name is China,pronounced Cheena.It
is to die for.She provides a spoon and tortilla chips to go with it.
Posted By: Badco Re: Bringing Amer. beef thru BZ customs - 03/08/04 06:56 PM
China's cocktail's are just unbeatable! She starts everyday at Cholo's around 3 p.m. YUM!
Hey Badco you know what I,m talking about!!!
We stayed at Aqua Marina & were sitting around last Thursday waiting for her to show up.She was running late & we were all getting nervous she wasn't going to show. I went to the steps to the beach & saw her coming, we all stood up & clapped
for her. We bought 15 containers because she said
she was going away for Friday & Saturday & we couldn't think about not having it. The shrimp cocktail is also great.A guy who worked at Aqua Marina is her cousin & said she makes one with
chicken gizzards & chicken feet!!!!! That one is for the locals.
Posted By: egcntrk Re: Bringing Amer. beef thru BZ customs - 03/08/04 09:35 PM
Everyone's replies are appreciated. Will check out the website. We fully plan on appreciating all the island has to offer. I've been pouring over menus for months. Yummy stuff!

That said, we were born & raised on home butchered beef & it would be nice to just relax at the villa a few evenings and partake of the type steak we are accustomed to. Corn fed Ribeye about 1.5 inches thick & cooked to perfection! Hubby is not fond of seafood. Thanks all!
Posted By: ON TAP Re: Bringing Amer. beef thru BZ customs - 03/09/04 12:40 AM
Does the packaged meat fall under the same catogory as beef. Like the hot dogs, bologna & bacon. Just wondering because as much as I would like not to have to cook, I am bringing 3 teenage boys who like to eat. Hoping to fill in some with these "snack foods". If it is that much hassle I will just buy there. Just trying to save a few pennies.
Posted By: LindaJ Re: Bringing Amer. beef thru BZ customs - 03/09/04 07:20 PM
I recently asked the Government this same question. Here is the email I rec'd in response:

Good Day Linda
The Belize agricultural Health Authority (BAHA) is the competent authority in Belize that regulates importation of animals, plant and food products coming into Belize. Currently, because of the out break of Avian influenza (bird flu) and the BSE (mad Cow) case in the USA in December, BAHA is restricting the importation of beef and poultry products of US origin. Any importation request of these products will require a risk analysis to be performed by BAHA which may result in the granting of an Import permit that would allow legal importation of these products into Belize. My suggestion for your group would be for you to e mail or fax us a complete list of the products you desire to import into Belize for your personal use w ich can then be forwarded to the relevant department of BAHA for evaluation before the import permit is granted. The permit cost b$25.00 (BZD) if picked up from or offices or $ 25.00 (USD) if it is to be faxed to you. You can send the list of food products to fax # 501 224 5230 or e mail [email protected] alternatively, you can email [email protected] and we can pass your request to the appropriate department for a response.

Please ensure that you include your fax no. or how you want the permit to be sent to you. Note that it is not possible to send the permit by e-mail. Your request should have complete information of your name, address, fax number or other contact information as well as the complete list of food items you wish to import. On entering Belize, the Quarantine Officer will determine if the permit and items you are granted to bring in is in compliance. Hope this helps

Have a great trip

Michael DeShield B.V.Sc M.Sc
Director, Food Safety Services
Belize Agricultural Health Authority
Central Investigation Laboratory
St. Joseph Street
I really didn't have a beef with Belize customs.
Posted By: egcntrk Re: Bringing Amer. beef thru BZ customs - 03/10/04 06:11 AM
Wow, Linda! Thanks for the great info.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board