AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: robert k another travel question?? - 04/20/04 02:42 AM
howdy team,

in the process of checking air fare for our trip in november, and have found some around $700 from san diego that connect and end up in belize city. these flights seems to fit our needs in terms of departure / arrival times in order to catch the shuttle flight to san pedro.

for you boarders from the left coast, is this fare about right? i have no clue, thanks for any and all input..

robert
Posted By: Redheada Re: another travel question?? - 04/20/04 03:54 AM
Seems a bit high. We got tickets from LAX for $450 - about 60 days out. What airline are you looking at? We booked directly through Taca's website and they have historically had the best fare from LAX for the past 6 months. That is other than a last minute special fare.
Posted By: robert k Re: another travel question?? - 04/20/04 03:55 PM
thanks for the reply. i was not checking any particular airline, just running the flight through cheaptickets.com i will wait a while and check with taca directly

thanks again,

robert
Posted By: Islenutt Re: another travel question?? - 04/20/04 04:17 PM
Try Travelocity. They are showing mid-week flights for $570 in November on American. Taca has $595. Also, if you can fly from LAX it is less expensive. If driving to LAX isn't an option, try Southwest for the San Diego to LAX flight and price out the difference.
Posted By: Redheada Re: another travel question?? - 04/20/04 05:14 PM
Taca's fares are generally lower directly through their website rather than through Expedia or Orbitz or any of those. You could easily get a cheap ticket from SD to LAX - that is a good idea. Especially since you are planning so far ahead.
Posted By: scubalover Re: another travel question?? - 04/20/04 08:50 PM
I can add my 2cents to Taca. We're booked to fly Taca from SFO (San Francisco) RT to Belize City w/connection in El Salvador, booking 90 days out for $500 pp. I booked direct w/Taca online and avoided the price hike of nearly $100 total from Travelocity for the exact same flights!
Posted By: Islenutt Re: another travel question?? - 04/20/04 11:17 PM
The airlines direct website booking is usually cheapest, but you can use Travelocity to compare which airline is lowest. I never book with Travelocity, just use it to see who is offering the lowest fare and sometimes which airlines even fly to the destination I am looking at. Then deal with the specific airline.
I have seen SFO to BZE for under $350 at certain times of the year. You just have to keep watching on an almost daily basis to catch fare sales. The Taca website has a feature you can use that will e-mail you when they run a sale to a destination you are interested in. American releases sale prices on Tuesday mornings and also has an e-mail feature.
I am flying Taca in 10 days - SFO to Roatan and then on to Belize using frequent flyer miles all booked through American. I didn't bother to check what the normal cost would be as they had availability with my miles.
In some cases if you book the trip in separate legs, using a regional airline like Southwest for example, you can save several hundred dollars. It does take time and effort. If you don't enjoy doing your own research, find a travel agent with experience in the area you are traveling. smile

* And remember it is cheaper to fly mid-week.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: another travel question?? - 04/21/04 05:58 PM
Just make sure with Taca that you re confirm your flights several times as departure gets closer (especially those FF mile ones!). They've been known to cancel reservations with no notice. Great once they are in the air though!!!
Posted By: Brad WB Re: another travel question?? - 04/21/04 11:26 PM
Paid 480.00 out of los Angeles, for a flight this month on AA, booking a couple months in advance. 700.00 seems a bit to high imho.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: another travel question?? - 04/22/04 08:04 PM
$700 seems high but can be reasonable for Nov if looking at T-giving dates. Most highly travelled of all holidays. Selling out already (as is Christmas)
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board