AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Red Penny Cell Phones - 01/12/06 05:53 PM
I would like to know about Cell Phone Service. Since I cant seem to get an intelligent answer from our Cell provider, Cingular ( geee, big surprise there) have any of you been able to get service? and if so, what do we need to do to dial out? Normaly, I would not be concerned and not bring it, but we are leaving a child and my very ill Father and need some sort of line to them should something happen.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cell Phones - 01/12/06 06:02 PM
I have Cingular and was suprised to hear my phone ring when we were there in September - so apparantly there is service. (There was not the year before.) Can't get your voice mail and my secretary said she was unable to leave a voice mail. I called home once - can't remember if I had to dial a country code but i don't think so. Also never got around to checking the bill for these calls specifically so don't know how pricey it was - have heard others on this board say it's expensive.
Posted By: clover Re: Cell Phones - 01/12/06 06:18 PM
$4 a minute to call from San Pedro to California...if you've signed up for international roaming....around $8 a minute if you don't...I learned the hard way!.....to call back to the States you have to use the country code 001 then area code and number..Since Cingular uses the same chip as Belize be very careful with your phone....I've had 2 disappear over the last few visits to AC. One was in my stowed baggage when I left Belize City back to the states....me thinks the customs inspector might have worked a deal. Keep your phone with you if you want to keep it!
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Cell Phones - 01/12/06 06:49 PM
...or perhaps a baggage handler in the US? :rolleyes:
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Cell Phones - 01/12/06 06:52 PM
Bring a tri or quadband phone down with. You can get a Belize DigiCell chip and unlock your phone (remains unlocked - use worldwide) for $US55, comes with a $US5 phone card. Receiving calls are free to you when in Belize and calls to the US are much more affordable.

C's Cell Phones and CD's - [email protected]

SIN
Posted By: catdog Re: Cell Phones - 01/12/06 07:11 PM
Just one question..I go to a store(here in the US) and ask for a tri or quadband phone to buy? Then, in Belize I can buy the DigiCell chip and get it unlocked (at BTL at the airport?) I want to have a cell this trip since I'll be picking up a car at the airport doing some solo driving around on the mainland.
I know, Cell Phones 101 for dummies here... :rolleyes:
Thanks for the info
Posted By: Phil Re: Cell Phones - 01/12/06 08:14 PM
Another option is to rent a cell phone while here. Budget Car Rentals rent cell phones as does C's Phones here on the Caye. Around $10 per day plus phone card
Posted By: Wyoming Carla Re: Cell Phones - 01/12/06 08:19 PM
I actually found that going to the Coconut Internet place and have THEM place the call for you is the cheapest way to go....and dependable as long as internet service isn't interrupted on the island! (and that does happen) Good ole BTL
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Cell Phones - 01/12/06 08:46 PM
$1US per minute at the cafe is affordable but not the cheapest. USA Connect is .30 per minute using a prepaid or pay phone.

BTL at the airport will not unlock your phone.

Tenchtronics in Belize City or C's in San Pedro can unlock it for you.

I would advise having a cell phone with you during your journeys.

SIN
Posted By: Razorfish Re: Cell Phones - 01/12/06 09:02 PM
My 2 cents would be to call your cellular provider before leaving for your vacation. They can probably set you up much more cheaply than what it will cost you in Belize.
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: Cell Phones - 01/12/06 09:49 PM
Hi RP,
take a look on the web. You can unlock your Cingular GSM phone for very little money. You can get a Digicell prepaid SIM card from the link below, or many others. Im no expert, but it doesn't look like a big deal to get mobile phone service if that's what you need.

Dan

http://www.telestial.com/products/belize_sim.htm
Posted By: phillytodd Re: Cell Phones - 01/12/06 10:01 PM
one good option nobody mentioned yet..

turn off the phone and just relax.
Posted By: Xoe Re: Cell Phones - 01/12/06 10:03 PM
I have an MCI prepaid phone card (from Costco) and can call Belize from home for 39 cents per minute, and from Belize to home for 50 cents per minute. This assumes you have access to a phone there in your hotel or condo, or a pay phone. Maybe not the cheapest, but it sure is simple! I've used it 3x in planning for our trip, calling Belize from home.
Posted By: Red Penny Re: Cell Phones - 01/12/06 10:35 PM
Thanks Dan, I'll try that. I hate being tied to a phone, but with my Father ill and a Teenager at home (even though some one is staying with her)...........I'll worrie other wise.

Thank you everyone!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cell Phones - 01/13/06 12:14 AM
Why not go to an internet cafe occasionally and use an internet phone? At Coconet I believe it's free, so long as you top up your Belikin every 15 minutes or so, which isn't such a hardship. Or there are a few other places that will give you free calls to the USA. You can arrange for messages to be passed to you.
Posted By: Red Penny Re: Cell Phones - 01/13/06 12:25 AM
Ok, I am a "Newbe". I am understanding that Belikin is beer? Fill me in
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Cell Phones - 01/13/06 12:45 AM
Yes, made in Belize.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Cell Phones - 01/13/06 02:21 AM
you stated you need a phone incase something happens to them, so you should do what SIN suggested, very reasonable and if they call you it costs you nothing/no minutes. To dial to them I understand why it might be wise to go to the internet cafe as it is the cheapest way to call the states.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Cell Phones - 01/13/06 02:23 AM
and regarding calling cards to call Belize, the cheapest is www.idphonecard.com $0.28/minute.
Posted By: clover Re: Cell Phones - 01/13/06 02:26 AM
What if you wanted to pack your own phone with your own number on it and you didn't care that it cost you $4 a minute to answer it, if it was important. What if you wanted to call a friend and $4 a minute was no big deal and you wanted to do it from the comfort or your own room?
Posted By: lacysbeach Re: Cell Phones - 01/13/06 07:16 AM
i will record the findings of this web tonight as I did not know about some of this stuff!!www.idphonecard.com; Digicell pre-paid sim card, well, I just don't know the best way to call home, but/..!If you want to talk amongst each other while in SP why don't ya'll get two way radios before you land so all can communicate amongst each other..up to 12 miles or so.. too fun, right!!If one is on the North side, and others south,etc.. Boats, Fishing, Shopping, etc..
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Cell Phones - 01/13/06 07:54 AM
WOW! Then if you want to do it from the your phone at $4 a min then you do!

The question asked initially had to do with whether or not they would be able to get service in BZ though so they might not be able to. Also, if you had a cell phone set up through C's you could 'call from the comfort of your room' too.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cell Phones - 01/13/06 08:18 AM
There is a compromise. Get a local cell phone (easily rented) and arrange with a reliable internet shop (or someone else, like my business) with an internet phone that if they receive a call for you they should immediately call you on your cell phone. Then you have the option of calling back on your cell phone or getting to the internet cafe and phoning from there. They'll probably want a dollar or two to pay for the service and I haven't asked any if they'll do it, but I should think they would.
Posted By: sandb Re: Cell Phones - 01/13/06 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Dan Carey:
Hi RP,
take a look on the web. You can unlock your Singular GSM phone for very little money. You can get a Digicell prepaid SIM card from the link below, or many others. Im no expert, but it doesn't look like a big deal to get mobile phone service if that's what you need.

Dan

http://www.telestial.com/products/belize_sim.htm
This is probably the best answer if, as you originally stated, you want to have easy access to calling home via a cell phone.

Just to add, as your provider is Cingular, you are lucky in that your phone will be both GSM and have the 1900 mghz band as are necessary.
Google "cell phone unlock (your city)" and you will find locations where you can take it in to have your cell phone unlocked while you wait(all legal/aboveboard/and no effect on your phone's subsequent operation). It should cost you about $20. You can then take your own phone to Belize and slip in a SIM card as referred to above.

Good luck. smile
Posted By: phillytodd Re: Cell Phones - 01/13/06 10:09 PM
calling belikin a "beer" is like calling angelina jolie "cute"

you'll see.
Posted By: lacysbeach Re: Cell Phones - 01/15/06 11:17 AM
I'm really sorry that I piped in about the two way radios. We normally don't call home and only leave the basic numbers to contact us when we are away. That said, our group of friends that sometimes travel with us are all over the islands, and the best way to keep in touch seems to be two-way radios, but its just what we do.
Posted By: mango man Re: Cell Phones - 01/24/06 04:06 AM
I'm heading down on January 27...God I hope I don't feel like using my cell phone, but in case, I just got off the phone w/ cingular. They do have coverage...You don't need it, but if you sign up for their international coverage it only costs .48 per minute. the coverage is 3.99 per month in addition to the calls (you can cancel it when you get back). If you don't sign up for the coverage it is 3.18 per minute.
Posted By: Dallas Dave Re: Cell Phones - 01/24/06 05:36 AM
I use Skype Out. 3 cents a minute to US/Canada. Many of my friends use same. Just ask around to ex pats. People are helpful here to people in need.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Cell Phones - 01/24/06 02:13 PM
Before I call Nextelon this question, does anyone have any info or experience with Nextel for using phone on AC.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Cell Phones - 01/24/06 04:05 PM
Corona, I will PM you on this info. as I use Nextel...
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Cell Phones - 01/24/06 04:10 PM
Originally posted by phillytodd:
calling belikin a "beer" is like calling angelina jolie "cute"

you'll see.
LOLOLOLOL
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Cell Phones - 01/24/06 07:24 PM
Travelqueen, thanks, have worked it out
I bought a International Phone, around $75.00, so when I am in Belize, I take out SIMS Card out of reg phone, and put it in International phone. Now I can call from Belize, as well call in side of country. Quite easy, but the International phone will not work in the states, so have to take out SIMS card abd put back in reg US phone.
If anyone needs a phone number I have it,
Posted By: Belikin Bill Re: Cell Phones - 01/24/06 09:04 PM
Whats Belikin? laugh
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board