AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: snorkelgirl malaria preventative - 01/26/06 09:40 PM
Last year we spent 1/2 vacation on AC and half in Benque jungle area. We took the 6 weekly doses of Chloroquin. I guess since April is the dry season, we never had mosquito problem. The tablets do cause stomach discomfort for about 24 hrs each dose.

This year, we will spend only 1 day doing the Lamanai tour (April again). Is it worth the chloroquin? Are there more mosquitos on the mainland east than the mainland west?
Posted By: Otteralum Re: malaria preventative - 01/26/06 09:52 PM
Snorkelgirl -- the several times this question has come up -- it always seems to come down to a discussion between you and your doctor. Malaria doesn't sound like fun. My wife and I took the risk and did not take it -- we similarly spent one day inland -- no problems. However, you ultimatley have to make the call.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: malaria preventative - 01/26/06 10:27 PM
What time of year are you going.

You mention the "Benque Jungle Area." where were you exactly? It was to my knowledge that Benque is a small village/town of nearly all spanish speaking people 15 min from Guatemala. I was not aware it was any type of jungle. I know people from there and am going to visit with them there soon. Please verify this is where you were.
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: malaria preventative - 01/26/06 10:38 PM
KZK,
yes, Benque is just a few miles from Guatemala and it is a little town. We did the Mayan ruin tours and cave tubing at Jaquar Paw which is about halfway between Belize City and Benque. Basically saying that we were in the Cayo District and were told we should do malaria prevention if staying there...
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: malaria preventative - 01/26/06 11:48 PM
snorkelgirl,
this can be a real "hot button" topic, with both sides hotly debating their own views. However, I think that everybody agrees that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. What I mean is, try to reduce the instances of getting bit. Even if you're on a preventitive, it's smart to roll down your sleeves and wear long pants in the bush, especially around sunup/sundown. Use an effective repellant. Do what you need to do, including using mesh "no seeum" suits if you have to be in the bush in places and times of high risk.

Knock wood, I've never had any symptoms of malaria, although I've had locals tell me "oh, yeah, we've all got malaria". In some places on the planet, you just have to manage the risk as best you can.

Dan
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 12:35 AM
ah, that is what I thought. So you did the jungle tours near there, Jaguar Paw, etc...which I have been to. Makes sense now! I thought you ment Benque was a jungle and was TOTALLY confused since some very close people I know are from there!

What took you through Benque? I never met a tourist who has been through there and I am excited to visit.

Every time I stayed in Cayo I did not use Malaria prevention.
Posted By: klcman Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 12:38 AM
don't blink your eyes....
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 12:39 AM
?
Posted By: klcman Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 12:53 AM
Ernieeeeeeeeeeee.....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 01:07 AM
Scarier is Hepatitis B and infects from restaurante workers, etc. Get your series of Hep shots BEFORE going to Belize-at least the 1st of 3.
Also treat yourself to a tetanus shot. Malaria is not a big deal YET on Ambergris but then there's all that about "GLOBAL".............community talk. Yummy--yummy. frown
Posted By: Anonymous Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 01:10 AM
FYI---Hep B is not just about Belize---Restaurant workers and food handlers in US are required by law to test and get.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 01:12 AM
You mean Hep A. Hep A is from restraunts, etc...from those who do not wash hands after touching areas with yuck stuff related to the bathroom. Hep B is usually sexual. I would recommend getting Hep A and B shots anyways even living in the US. The risk is nearly the same and wise to have. Many states require Hep A shots in the rest. business. You can get "Twinrix" which is Hep A and B in one shot or else you have 2 sets for one and 3 sets for the other.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 01:16 AM
Hey-- you should get Hep A shots also but Hep B is NOT just sexually transmitted--It is a body fluid contagion just like AIDS!! Spit, blood, sperm,etc.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 01:16 AM
Hep A- may be transmitted by eating contaminated food, and even more common fecal-oral contact, and/or through household contact.

Hep B- transmitted by sexual contact, shared needles, or contaminated blood products.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 01:17 AM
yes, correct. I was just mentioning I think you ment Hep A with the restraunts. That is the shot many states require to work in that industry.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 01:28 AM
No cure for Hep B which destroys the liver. And YES
it is contagious so get your shots!!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 01:33 AM
GOOD NEWS!!! Once you get your shots, which most all US insurance companies cover when you tell your Dr. you are going to a 3rd world high risk country which Belize is on the list.......you will NOT get it!!!--so it makes NO sense NOT to get the shots!!
And once you complete the series you are good to go and safe and protected for life!!!!!! cool
Posted By: Anonymous Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 01:43 AM
HEY, man--I know people who if they had just taken those shots, they would be living a longer life and not dangerous to others. frown
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 01:43 AM
agree all should get these shots. My insurance and many I know did not cover my shots when I told them I was traveling. Most people do get well after getting Hep B, and 10% carry it for life. He is correct that you are vaccinated for life, worthwhile shots.
Wow, Flyboy we know our diseases! lol.

while you are at it, if you travel to an area with yellow fever get that too. (Belize does not carry it.)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 01:48 AM
I have and I did--Thanks for your thoughtfulness.
You have a good heart
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 02:01 AM
me toooooooooooooooo vacinated to the MAX I am!! thanks for the nice comment.
Posted By: seashell Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 02:49 AM
Hep B can be acquired from deep kisses.

We wouldn't want anybody out there thinking that wearing their raincoat is enough, would we?
Posted By: travelqueen Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 02:51 AM
WOW! I'll be getting vacinated...because I plan to kiss alot while I'm there! laugh
Posted By: klcman Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 02:54 AM
and I know who!!!~
Posted By: travelqueen Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 02:57 AM
wink
Posted By: inthemarket Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 03:00 AM
yes seashell. As Fly-boy wrote Hep B can be carried in spit. It is very difficult to get via kissing but possible sure is possible through saliva. It is smart to vacinate your children when young and some states have started to at a certain age.

Get your vacinations you all...kissing is fun. lol.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 03:01 AM
Come on man--let's not make a joke out of what could be a potentially serious situation. Kra-Z-K is right on and means the best for everyone's health!! Get vaccinated and protect yourself as well as others. Care about your kids?? Kra-Z-K does!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: inthemarket Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 03:04 AM
and other's children too.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 03:07 AM
Right on inthemarket smile
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 03:24 AM
ohhhhhh, no kids yet. But I too care about other's children too.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 04:06 AM
I think you care about other's children....your love is incredible...You are beyond belief...
You are without a doubt a beautiful and loving soul who cares and is most likely under appreciated!!
Posted By: CodeBoy Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 03:46 PM
Hydrochloroquine doesn't sound as nasty, more pills for a longer duration after your trip. Might be worth asking your doctor about a different medicine.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a601240.html
Posted By: Barbara K Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 06:19 PM
Sometimes the vaccinations cause worse disease than the disease. No, I will not harp on this but I have to relate the other side of the story. They are not always the miracle preventatives the medical society makes them out to be.

http://www.whale.to/vaccines/mendelsohn.html and tons of other research.
Posted By: casa de amor Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 08:29 PM
have any of you ever heard of a rash that is found on AC, its like posin ivy but about 100 times worse, found in the jungle area's of AC, if i heard the name of it i would know it but can't think of it right know.
Posted By: Chloe Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 08:31 PM
Pica Pica, but it comes from the sea.
Posted By: casa de amor Re: malaria preventative - 01/27/06 08:47 PM
no its not pica pica its some spanish word, my cousin had got it when he was there, some local should know?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: malaria preventative - 01/28/06 01:39 AM
Could be "che-chem" poisonwood. It's similar to poison ivy and poison oak in terms of the physical reaction and symptoms.
Posted By: rumncoke Re: malaria preventative - 01/28/06 02:28 AM
The Hep A and B shots don't always "take". I'm taking the series of shots for the 2nd time because a recent blood titer showed that I am not immune to Hep A or B.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: malaria preventative - 01/28/06 03:30 AM
yes, after getting your shots you take a test to see if you are immune. 98% of the time you are. that is a shame you have to do it again.

Casa-I will know tonight, I am getting together with someone Spanish who can answer your question.
Posted By: casa de amor Re: malaria preventative - 01/28/06 03:49 AM
yep thats it "che chem", its wicked nasty. will mess your life up badly. my cousin had gotton it in the brush, and his whole body was covered, the locals told him to put i think coco leaves on it, he was messed up for like 2 weeks or more. it was like noting i had ever seen.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board