AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: WAtraveler Cave Tubing? - 03/15/09 09:32 PM
I'm planning our trip to belize in two weeks. How important is it to experience cave tubing? It's one of the things that I really wanted to do, but now I'm not so sure it's a 'must'. I assume that seeing the Mayan ruins is a 'must'. We are planning to spend just the first day on the mainland, and the rest of the time on Ambergris Caye.

Thanks for the help!
Posted By: terrielinn Re: Cave Tubing? - 03/15/09 09:45 PM
I loved cave tubing. I did the cave tubing/ariel trek (zip lining) day trip with Jaguar Paw resort as a day trip from Ambergris Caye. It was awesome. They employ very reputable guides and keep the safety of their customers at the forefront of their operations. here is a link to a posting I did about my trip: //ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/287770/My_blog_entry_for_Fat_Cats.html#Post287770
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Cave Tubing? - 03/15/09 10:42 PM
It's not a "must" but I loved it! Definitely a great way to cool off and enjoy something unique!
Posted By: suecate Re: Cave Tubing? - 03/15/09 10:47 PM
loved the zipline but hated the cave tubing, you walk an hour through the rain forest carrying your tube, which was interesting and lovely. You then get in the tube float in the dark in cold water only a couple of inches deep for way to long in my opinion. The ruins were great would do that again.
Posted By: Marty Re: Cave Tubing? - 03/15/09 11:34 PM
there are many different cave tubing tours. i prefer the ones where you swim most of the time. dive off underground waterfalls into deep pools. sit in a circle with friends and everyone turns their lights off while sitting in a 4 foot pool of water. sit and chat for awhile. have lunch with battery light under a huge cathedral ceiling hundreds of feet high.

i love the caves.
Posted By: WAtraveler Re: Cave Tubing? - 03/15/09 11:40 PM
Wow Marty - that does sound incredible. Which tour is that one? (I guess I should say, "How do I make sure I book the right tour?")
Posted By: 2Aggies Re: Cave Tubing? - 03/16/09 01:03 PM
Marty - please share the name of the tour or caves you are referring to. Doesn't the rainfall have something to do with water level and temp? We'll be back on AC in May and want to do a day trip this time. Thought about cave tube and ruins.
Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: t42 Re: Cave Tubing? - 03/18/09 02:54 PM
Suecate is talking about Jaguar Paw and if like her you don't want to be wet try Barton Creek Cave, this trip is done in a canoe and is a gorgeous trip.
Posted By: Marty Re: Cave Tubing? - 03/18/09 03:32 PM
Actun Tunichil Muknal
//AmbergrisCaye.com/photogallery/070515.html
//AmbergrisCaye.com/photogallery/070714.html

sudden large amounts of rain can make the caves impassible, but doesn't happen much. Ian Anderson does some great cave tours out of Caves Branch also

//AmbergrisCaye.com/pages/photos/750.html
//ambergriscaye.com/wallpaper/page8.html

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Marty Re: Cave Tubing? - 03/18/09 03:37 PM
Caving pictures with Ian Anderson's Caves Branch
Cave in the Maya Mountains
Family pictures at Caves Branch
Cave Tubing in Cayo with Caves Branch, 9 pages
Cave Tubing
Cave Tubing, getting in
Inside caves in Cayo
Cave passage
Large image of the grounds looking out from a cabana, Caves Branch
Jungle Hike with Caves Branch
Around the grounds at Caves Branch
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch II
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch III
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch IV
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch V
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch VI
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch VII
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch VIII
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch IX
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch X
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch XI
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch XII
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch XIII, Black Hole Drop, Actun Loch Tunich
Animals of Belize, Animals of Belize, Heron, Jaguar, Howler monkey, and a Snake eating, Caves Branch
Animals of Belize II, Tapir, toucan, butterfly, Caves Branch
Flowers and Vegetation, Caves Branch, Cayo, 3 pages
Posted By: WAtraveler Re: Cave Tubing? - 03/20/09 04:13 AM
Great pictures Marty! Is the experience you described in the beginning from Actun Tunichil Muknal? They both look awesome!
Posted By: Cooper Re: Cave Tubing? - 03/20/09 04:21 AM
Actun Tunichil Muknal or The ATM tour is an unbelievable experience..I have lived in Belize for 7 yrs, also been to Tikal, and all over the Yucatan, this cave was only discovered in the last 20 yrs. You do have to be a bit athletic to enjoy the adventure. We left at 7;30 am and did not get back to San Ignacio until almost 7 pm. this was a bit longer than usual due to members of our group not being in the best shape.....
Posted By: Marty Re: Cave Tubing? - 03/20/09 05:14 AM
yes from Actun Tunichil Muknal
Posted By: WAtraveler Re: Cave Tubing? - 03/21/09 09:08 PM
How athletic? My parents are also going on the trip. My dad is 64, but in great health. My mom is 54 and had knee surgery a year ago. Would they be ok doing this?
Posted By: TheRealDeal Re: Cave Tubing? - 03/22/09 12:13 PM
My only concern would be your mom as she had knee surgery.

There is a bit of a walk up and down a trail, if her knee does not bother her for about a 2km walk, then she should be allright.

The water is chilly but it is an experience!

One last small detail, when the guide tells you to pick your butt up, do it immediately, becuase you sometimes go over some big rocks whilst floating on the tubes going downriver. I was helping my wife on our trip and alas hit my tail bone, so it hurt for a few days well..

I would do it again any day!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board