AmbergrisCaye.com Home
CHETUMAL: The maritime taxi service between Chetumal and Belize will take off this Saturday, August 15, which should detonate tourism growth in the south of the state of Quintana Roo, said Andrés Ruiz Morcillo, Mayor of the Othón P. Blanco municipality.

"This is the result of negotiations with the neighboring government. Beginning Saturday, Belizean entrepreneurs will operate the first maritime route for the transport of tourism that will cover the circuit between Chetumal's fiscal dock, Sarteneja, San Pedro and Xcalak, and which should last approximately one hour."

"Belize investors discovered the potential in the Chetumal Bay and the service should generate endless benefits for families in the south of the state".

"Belizeans will now have more access to the state. This new service should detonate tourism growth in Chetumal and the Costa Maya. Without doubt, the benefits should soon be seen".

"This will give a boost to the ecotourism projects planned for the Chetumal Bay in the near future."

This is exciting news!
How much will it cost I wonder?
Where can we get any info at all is what I'd like to know.
Check with Andrés Ruiz Morcillo, Mayor of the Othón P. Blanco municipality...
Ah yes, I will call right now...
"detonate"? Interesting word choice.
I'm looking forward to seeing the boat that can do this run in an hour.
Any nes on this matter? or any source in the Internet where we could research and get more information?
:-)
Thanks
sorry, "news"
:-)
Looks like the article was translated on the net rather than through a human translator.

The timing is off unless they plan to drop off on Ambergris Caye (not San Pedro Town proper.)

This route was proposed quite a few years ago, when the Mexican Government blasted the big channel - when was that 10 years ago?

It will be interesting to see how this pans out - I would love to shop in Chet for Xmas without planes trains and automobiles.
Here's another site where the information has been posted...

http://ambergrisproperty.blogspot.com/2009/08/martime-taxi-service-to-and-from.html

I don't know anything about that website/blog and am not intending to promote anything.

It's unfortunate that people don't show the source of the information they cut & paste.
Unconfirmed information:

San Pedro Express will be making the run for $125BZ round trip.

Talking to some locals I was also told that the trip would more likely be 2 hours. Still sounds like a good option though if you're on a budget.
See article in San Pedro Daily today
This forum is NOT for real estate for sale. AmbergrisCaye.com has a "real estate for sale" area at //AmbergrisCaye.com/realestate/ . That is where real estate ads go.

Its fine to post rentals.

Thanks

Marty

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board