AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: todd1812 customs - 11/02/10 06:50 PM
Hi there, can you fine people tell me how long it usually takes to get thru customs in Belize City. We will be arriving at 3:35 pm and are worried if we will miss the last water taxi to San Pedro.
Posted By: wade the gringo Re: customs - 11/02/10 07:20 PM
That's pushing it. If your flights on time you are looking at at least 1/2 hour if you have nothing to claim. Add 20 minutes if you need to pay duty. Taxi to the boat is a 20 minute ride. And $25us fare.

If you run late consider flying to San Pedro.
Posted By: elbert Re: customs - 11/02/10 07:42 PM
I always advise people not to try the water taxi route. Its not worth it.
Its easy, cheap and convenient to get on either Tropic or Maya and fly to the island right from the international airport in Ladyville where you will land.
Most people dont realize the international Airport isn't in Belize City.
The other way is a pain in the butt and not worth the few dollars you may save.
You will need to take a taxi from Ladyville to Belize city and catch a water taxi at the terminal for a long boat ride.Lots of hassles along the way.
Posted By: tortuga.chica Re: customs - 11/02/10 07:55 PM
I agree with Wade & Elbert. I've been to AC 3 times. First 2 times, I did the water taxi. Last visit, I flew Maya. The price difference is nominal when you factor in the taxi between the airport & the water taxi terminal. Plus, you are on the island in 20 minutes vs a 2 hour boat ride. And the views from the plane are amazing. Will never forget the thrill of seeing San Pedro from the air as we were approaching--especially when you are sitting in the co-pilot seat.
Posted By: todd1812 Re: customs - 11/02/10 08:59 PM
Thanks all. We will be flying now. The wife thought riding the water taxi might be fun. Maybe we will try it another time. Ebert we will get ahold of you for our diving when we get there.
Posted By: ron Re: customs - 11/02/10 10:41 PM
The water taxi ride to Caye Caulker is fun about half and hour followed by a beer or 2 or ........Half hour back. No rush just fun.
Posted By: seashell Re: customs - 11/03/10 12:11 AM
Todd, the flight over is so beautiful . . .and so is the flight back to Belize Intl. But often, it is hard to see the view on the way back because of tears in the eyes.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: customs - 11/21/10 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by ron
The water taxi ride to Caye Caulker is fun about half and hour followed by a beer or 2 or ........Half hour back. No rush just fun.

Before you have that beer and get on the boat - please take serious note that there is no toilet on the boat. I've seen more than a few very miserable party-animals on the ferry as a result.
Posted By: MisterB266 Re: customs - 11/21/10 04:56 PM
Just for the record, the last water taxi is scheduled to depart Belize City at 6:00 pm, so anyone arriving at PGIA at 3:35 would have plenty of time to get that water taxi.
http://www.sanpedrowatertaxi.com/schedule.html

Another water taxi service has a departure at 5:30 pm and you should have no problems getting that one...
http://sanpedrobelizeexpress.com/schedule.html
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board