AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: terriejo Groceries and money - 03/21/12 01:10 PM
Hello all, will be in San Pedro 4/1/12, My daughter and I are staying at the Sunbreeze Suites. Is there a grocery close by so we can pick up a few breakfast items? Or is it cheaper to eat all meals out? How about money, are travelers checks recommended instead of cash? Thanks so much!! Can't wait to get there. Terrie
Posted By: seashell Re: Groceries and money - 03/21/12 03:09 PM
Maybe you should try a few breakfasts out and a few breakfasts in. There is at least one grocery near you, just up the street.

As for travelers' cheques, forget them. Cash works quite well, and there are a number of ATM's in San Pedro.
Posted By: SnoopysMom Re: Groceries and money - 03/21/12 10:43 PM
Hi there
Not sure if you have coffee maker, fridge, etc, but Premium Spirits has great coffee (fresh ground). Sail Away Cafe used to sell their coffee retail as well. Both just south of you. Lots of little groceries around - I prefer to patronize Greenhouse (which is on middle street) as they have the best selection and variety.

If picky or OCD like I am, you may want to consider bringing some of your favorite cereal / snack foods with as you can't always find specific items (for example, I haven't found grape nuts in over a year now - even on the mainland, but luckily I have friends who have kept me supplied).

Cash is probably easiest for groceries as everyone accepts US bills.

Hope you have a wonderful trip smile
Posted By: terriejo Re: Groceries and money - 03/21/12 11:54 PM
Thanks SnoopysMom and Seashell for the tips. These two Wisconsin Cheeseheads are ready for the trip!!!
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet Re: Groceries and money - 03/22/12 12:01 AM
If I can throw my .02 in, you can grab some cheap and good eats at Ruby's or Celi's Deli in the morning. You have to try a Johnny Cake or Meat pie and they are great.

God I would give my eye tooth for a Johnny Cake right about now.......[sobbing].....
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Groceries and money - 03/23/12 04:37 PM
Save On grocery is close to you and decent grocery prices.

If you are at standing at the side entrance of Tropic Air where you get luggage and facing north it is a 1 min walk to the left and on your right hand side.

Look for green oval sign with yellow lettering.

El Fogon Restaurant also right just before you get to Save On, sane side of road on a side street totally worth going for lunch there.
Posted By: terriejo Re: Groceries and money - 03/25/12 03:27 AM
Thank you all!! We will be there next Sunday, and we are both so excited!!! Terrie
Posted By: Cooper Re: Groceries and money - 03/25/12 05:37 AM
The Secret Deli..well its not a Deli at all, but its got damn good food. Local hot meals for $5.00. I am not so good at directions but I think its one block up from Fidos.
Posted By: BeBelize Re: Groceries and money - 03/25/12 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Cooper
The Secret Deli..well its not a Deli at all, but its got damn good food. Local hot meals for $5.00. I am not so good at directions but I think its one block up from Fidos.

It's across from Joe's Bike Shop on one of the side streets (sorry, don't know the street name). North of Fido's, south of The Phoenix. Have not tried it yet but keep hearing good things!
Posted By: Hon Re: Groceries and money - 03/26/12 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by BeBelize
Originally Posted by Cooper

It's across from Joe's Bike Shop on one of the side streets (sorry, don't know the street name). North of Fido's, south of The Phoenix. Have not tried it yet but keep hearing good things!

I'm pretty sure it's Caribena St but don't quote me on that. The way I get there is: walk the beach until you get to Cholo's. Turn west towards the lagoon. Cross Front St. (it has another name but it will be obvious it's Front St.) Cross Middle St. (same). Walk halfway down the next block and it will be on your right. ...and if you are there between 11:45 and 12:30 be prepared for an awesome, semi-chaotic local lunchtime experience.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board