AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Greg W Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 01:04 AM
7 of us coming in a week so the price difference is around $700.00 to take the boat vs the plane. I know it takes over an hour more each way, but we could use the money to have more fun. We'll have suit cases too, so is that much of a pain to store on the boat and are they kept dry?

thx,
Greg
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 01:30 AM
Multiple reasons why the local water-taxi is false economy and a lousy way to spend your time.
This topic has been discussed many times on this forum - search the threads and see the advice there.

Posted By: daddywags Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 01:33 AM
one thing to keep in mind-if you're drinking beer there are no bathrooms on the boat-at least the last time we took it about 3 yrs ago
Posted By: Wizardofaahs Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 01:45 AM
Use the restroom before you leave the airport. Your bags will be fine. If 7 of you are taking the water taxi, you'll keep each other company. Go for it!

In truth, decide where you want to spend your money. I have taken the water taxi from San Pedro to Chetumal. No big deal. I happen to enjoy being on a boat and the scenery.

I have taken the ADO bus from Cancun to Belize City overnight. That extra few hundred dollars allowed us to choose to stay an extra night in San Pedro.

If you have spent the past 14 hours in transit, then it might feel better to spend the extra money and get to San Pedro 30 - 45 minutes earlier and feel less road weary.

Whatever you decide, you will love Ambergris Caye!
Posted By: Greg W Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 01:48 AM
We just fly 2:45 direct from DFW to San Pedro so time is not that big a deal. I did do a search just on the AC forum and didn't see this discussed, but maybe it doesn't search back too far.
Posted By: Wizardofaahs Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 01:54 AM
It's just a lot of people saying the same thing we've all said here today.

You're flying DFW to BZE non stop. If you're flying to San Pedro, then this discussion is moot.

I say, get the full experience. Planes, taxis, boats. It will prepare you for all the little nuances that are Belize.
Posted By: Greg W Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 02:55 AM
Crap, meant to say DFW to Belize City. My bad.
Posted By: Bear Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 03:19 AM
2:30 arrival....after all is said and done you'll probably be getting into SP at almost zero dusk/dark thirty by the time youre settled...did you check Muni flights? I like the H20 taxi when we land late morning that way we have the afternoon to enjoy our arrival.
Posted By: elbert Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 09:59 AM
Don't forget the international airport is in another city than where you will catch the ferry and you'll have an expensive taxi ride to Belize City .
This route is a pain in the ass and doesn't really save you money.
Posted By: Phil Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 12:44 PM
Water Taxi undoubtedly saves money on larger groups and OP has worked out it's $700. If a $700 saving is worth adding up to four hours more to an already long day of traveling go for it.
Posted By: elbert Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 01:35 PM
Lets do the math..
R/T tropic from int to SP 135.usd- 15 min flight , leaves every hour just 100 yards from where you deplane at international.
R/T ferry from Belize city 50.usd
Taxi ride from airport to Belize city 45.usd one way
balance would be about 10.more for the water taxi and don't forget the misery of the 2 hr long boat ride packed with poor folks, their children and the chickens.
Posted By: gailtor Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 01:42 PM
Yes the luggage is stored safely in dry places (placed by staff at the water taxi). The boat may be crowded and the seating is not necessarily the most comfortable. This would be another adventure in your travels. As stated by others, you do have to get from the International airport to the water taxi but for a large group the savings make it worth it. It will depend on what time your flight arrives as to whether or not you have enough time to catch the boat. As another poster mentioned, flying from Municipal is also cheaper (almost half price) but it also involves a taxi. Not sure if you can make reservations on the water taxi from the states but it would be worth checking since they can be very busy. Good luck on your decision and keep us posted on what you decide.
Enjoy San Pedro cool

WOW Elbert the taxi fares must have doubled in two years. It cost me $25US.
Another option is Tropic Ferry. I have not used this service but friends swear by it. http://tropicferry.com/
Posted By: elbert Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 01:59 PM
I've heard good things about Tropic Ferry.
Posted By: larrypied Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 02:14 PM
Yes, the taxi from the airport is $25 US. The water taxi is $15 US one-way. It's an hour and one half once the water taxi leaves. That's about $40 US vs about $75 for air.
Posted By: larrypied Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 02:15 PM
Also, never seen any chickens but have seen a lot of drunk monkeys. (tourists)
Posted By: Hoover Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 04:54 PM
After a long plane ride I found the water taxi a nice change of pace. Cab to the terminal and have a few cold ones while you wait for the boat. It'a a good way to kind of shift gears. I would not advise you to spend any more time in Belize City than you have to though. It mostly blows.
Posted By: seashell Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 04:56 PM
There's just nothing like the flight over. Look into the savings on flying in and out of municipal airport. Keep in mind that 7 travelers may require more than one taxi van.
Posted By: seashell Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 04:59 PM
What's the price diff between flying in from international and the Tropic Ferry. For some reason I thought it was same price?
Posted By: tortuga.chica Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 05:07 PM
I agree with seashell. Seeing San Pedro from the air is an amazing view. It really depends on what you have more of: money or time?

I personally want to get to the island as quickly as possible, so I've opted for the flight. $120 R/T (with TacoGirl's discount).

On my most recent visit, the flight from Houston landed at 10 am and I was in San Pedro by 11 am. I just love it when things fall into place like they did!!
Posted By: ragman Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 05:08 PM
Tropic Ferry vis flying works out about the same if your destination is north of the bridge. It is a very good option if you are traveling with a pet. I've used it for the last two years.
Posted By: WWIII Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/20/13 08:30 PM
One our trip, time of arrival was the decision maker and you should consider your arrival time. If you had a early arrival into BZE then the water taxi might be more attractive since you room might not be ready when you arrive in AC. Of course there is always a cold Belikin waiting somewhere. The flight is more tourist friendly. Also if you are planning any land based tourist activities you will be taking that boat ride in most cases and the view on the flight to AC is awesome.
Posted By: daddywags Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/21/13 01:12 AM
We have found that it is cheaper to fly out of the municipal airport if you have four people or more-cab ride is 25.00 from International to Municipal. If it's only two people fly from International.
Posted By: Bluebird Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/21/13 12:27 PM
Keep in mind that sometimes the flight from municipal to San Pedro goes back to international, then Caye Caulker, then San Pedro. We're using Tropic Ferry these days.
Posted By: seashell Re: Is Boat from San Pedro that bad - 05/21/13 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Bluebird
Keep in mind that sometimes the flight from municipal to San Pedro goes back to international, then Caye Caulker, then San Pedro. We're using Tropic Ferry these days.

What a lovely tour for the price! smile
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board