AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Tammy Barnett Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/18/14 03:16 PM
I have read that I must have a return ticket purchased when I fly from the US to Belize. My husband and I were planning an extended visit to Belize as we make decisions about our retirement/future. We were going to wait to buy the tickets after we spent some time in Belize. Does anyone know anything about this topic? (I've asked several offices/individuals and have gotten conflicting answers.) So, I was wondering if any of the readers on this forum might have firsthand knowledge of this. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: ragman Re: Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/18/14 03:27 PM
I have traveled back and forth many many times and I've never been asked to produce a return ticket. Technically I suppose you are required to have one. I've even flew back with a one way on at least one occasion and no problem.

However, I suggest that you consider buying one because a one way is somewhat more expensive in my experience. You can then cancel it and there will be a charge for changing your departure, I'm assuming you will eventually go back to the USA or where ever you are flying from even if you decide to retire here. Make the return flight 2 or 3 months out if you want.

Your circumstances may not make this idea but give it a thought.
Posted By: champion Re: Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/18/14 03:30 PM
Don't have an answer for that but I have never been checked for a return ticket in 14 years. Don't know how that would be monitored. You would need to re-apply for the visa monthly. Maybe its on the entry forms you fill out on the plane before you land.
Posted By: champion Re: Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/18/14 03:32 PM
Ragman is right, get a return for 6 mos out then adjust as needed.
Thanks for all the quick replies. I appreciate the help.
Posted By: Judyann H. Re: Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/18/14 09:12 PM
Hello Tammy....Our final flight into Belize was in June 2012 ....On United we bought one way tickets; My husband and I each arrived about 2 weeks apart....No one asked any questions. My experience is if you buy a round trip ticket and change the return date the fee can be huge $150 US for a change fee....Hope this helps....
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/18/14 10:02 PM
I just got back from my 35th trip to San Pedro and have NEVER been asked to see my return ticket.
Posted By: ragman Re: Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/18/14 10:17 PM
I just did a random search using BOS to BZE on United. $605 one way and $747 round trip. If you add $150 charge for change then your ticket back would cost you $292 with the change charge verse $605 (If prices do not go up). Now if you are certain you will not want to return within 18 months then buy a one way. If not the round trip is a bargain in comparison. I think it would be unusual not to want to return within 18 months regardless of which decision you come to on retiring in Belize. Reasons could be family, health, or a million other matters.

I said 18 months because I believe if you change you must use this change with 1 year. Each individual has different circumstances so just make up your mind and hope for the best. If you guess wrong it is not the end of the world.
Posted By: tahunt Re: Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/18/14 11:40 PM
Tammy,

No need to book a return ticket. If asked just reply you plan on taking a bus back to the states.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/19/14 12:12 AM
I have been asked to prove I lived in Belize, I wasn't resident yet so I had to produce my work permit when on a one way ticket from Miami on AA. It's the airline you have to deal with on that one, not immigration. If they don't want to take a risk on you there's no way you're getting on that flight as they have to pay your return if you get rejected by Belize immigration.
Posted By: dabunk Re: Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/19/14 11:07 AM
Correct it is the airlines not Belize immigration which can give you problems as Simon B said. It happened to us twice but all we did was buy a ticket there at the airport and as soon as we landed in Belize went to the airline and got a refund. Takes a few weeks to get your money back but can save you buying ahead of time
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/20/14 12:41 AM
I wanted to stop buying my r/t tickets from SFO to BZE since I never knew the dates when I would like to return; so I bought a one way ticket. Trust me, their computer knows it is one way.

I could not locate my residency card to prove I lived there and they made me buy what they called a 'thru ticket.' That means on to a different destination. After I got home to Belize I contacted AA (the airline4 - not the pure-breath league) and they gave me a credit.

From then on I have been able to fly round-trip BZE to SFO and not had to prove I live here.

Because of these experiences I believe it is the Belize government that makes the rule not the airline otherwise why would they let me fly one way to Honduras?
Posted By: kcbc Re: Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/20/14 02:17 AM
The airlines not the government enforce this rule and the reason is that long ago many people purchased one way tickets from the states to places like Belize. Eventually they ended up broke with no funds to get out of whatever foreign country they found themselves in. Now the GOB of Belize does not want to pay to send you home, the US embassy does not want to pay to send you home,and the airlines have no desire to let you have a free seat to get yourself back home, so the solution was that you buy a round trip ticket and pay to send yourself back home. Now you can later cash in your ticket or change dates, although
not many people are happy about that $150 fee to alter your date. Not sure but I believe you can still purchase an "open end return" ticket but you have to go thru whatever airline you plan on flying and the price is going to be expensive.

Twice I have seen people in Miami claim that they don't need a return ticket and upon arrival in Belize they are pulled aside, asked to show paperwork and if they cannot provide the correct forms forced to buy a ticket on the spot before being allowed thru immigration.

Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/20/14 12:45 PM
I just had to purchase "a change ticket' on American and the price was $200.
Posted By: EarlyOut Re: Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/20/14 12:52 PM
Me, my husband, and a friend have all flown down to Belize in the last 12 months with a one way ticket and no one said anything at the airlines. Me and the hubby flew American Airlines from Dallas. That's been our experience...my last flight was December 2013.
Posted By: Noelle Re: Purchasing One-Way Ticket to Belize - 06/20/14 08:53 PM
I just returned to Belize from the US on a RT ticket. When I went to check in they were going to try to stop me but were placated by my residency stamp. This is the second time I've had trouble boarding a Delta flight in the US headed for Belize, once with a one way ticket and once on the return RT ticket.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board