AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: B_b_f_b water taxi from Belize City - 02/12/01 11:38 PM
Ok, don't laugh, if I don't have to take one of the puddle jumpers will I be alright on one of the water taxis from Belize City to Ambergris. I don't like to fly on big planes, so a little one is not going to make me any happier. Will anyone who's taken the water taxi from Belize City to San Pedro, please let me know how your trip went and was it worth it. Thanks.
Posted By: Gela Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/13/01 12:42 AM
Becky, I know that you will survive the small airplane flight from Belize International to San Pedro. Just think of the time you will save not going on a 1.5 hour boat ride!
Posted By: lmarquis Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/13/01 01:01 AM
I am not a big fan of flying at all, but I have to do it quite a bit for business. I am more fearful of the big jets than the small planes. I plan on having a Belikin right before I get in the puddle jumper and enjoying the ride!
Posted By: B_b_f_b Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/13/01 01:51 AM
Thanks, you all are quite convincing and I do appeciate the help, but is my luggage going to get soaked on the water taxi? Thanks again for any advice.
Posted By: deano Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/13/01 02:42 AM
not to worry Becky...catch the Andrea down by the swing bridge.leaves about 3:30daily .Its fully closed so you wont get wet..takes about an hour and is a pretty ride..If the weather is nice try the Thunderbolt, its an open boat but is faster.. it leaves a bit earlier around 1:00 I think..There are several others as well..just ask a cab driver at the airport as to what is leaving when. I;ve traveled to San Pedro both ways but always preferred the boat.
Posted By: B_b_f_b Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/13/01 02:55 AM
Thanks Deano, do you know how much I am going to have to pay? Yes, I am a chicken about the puddle jumper thing, but I also love boats, so I will still enjoy the boat ride.
Posted By: Jen O Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/13/01 06:30 AM
Becky,
The boat ride SUCKS!
I personally love the ocean and boat rides, but it SUCKED soo bad. Remember its in the ocean, its not a very big boat, the waves make it a pretty choppy ride and trust me if you plan on doing any of the ruin sites or mainland tours you will have PLENTY of boat rides!
The small plane was only $22.00 US, it only took 10 minutes and it was an incredible view! And besides, you will be so excited to get to the island you wont want to wait!!
Have fun!!!
Posted By: Cinca Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/13/01 08:58 AM
I enjoyed the ride to CC, and thought it great!Yes, you are in a boat, and in the sea that is probably as warm as most baths, and as blue and green as you have never seen. No, the water is not necessarily calm as a duck pond, so what is? Enjoy your vacation, is it not about experiencing new things?
Posted By: asmooch Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/13/01 04:20 PM
Jen O: where do you get a plane ride over to San Pedro from the Belize Int'l airport for $22.00? Im paying 46.50 on Tropic Air one way!!
Posted By: Big Frank Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/13/01 04:46 PM
if you fly out of municipal airport, not international airport, the cost is about 1/2. Many in-country flights that go to international continue on to muni for no charge. The taxi to the water taxi is cheaper that way also.
The water taxi is cool, but...it can be sooo crowded and may seem interminable after a long day of travel. The old adage is "you haven't flown in the Caribbean until you've ridden co-pilot"; little kids or pretty girls always get to be co-pilot;-}
Remember, whichever way you go, there you are.
Posted By: deano Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/13/01 06:12 PM
Hi Becky.. Rode the Thunderbolt last week it was 25.00BZ ....12.50 US.. I think the others are about the same. Have a fun time!!
Posted By: asmooch Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/13/01 07:30 PM
BIG FRANK:

SO YOURE TELLING ME THAT I CAN STAY ON THE PLAN AT THE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IF THEY GO ON TO THE MUNICIPAL AIRPORT I CAN FLY OUT OF THERE FOR HALF THE PRICE? WOULD I CALL AMERICAN AIRLINES TO FIND OUT IF THEY GO ON TO THE MUNICIPAL AIRPORT? ID LIKE TO SAVE MY MONEY TO SPEND ON MORE RUM ON THE ISLAND!!!
Posted By: B_b_f_b Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/13/01 07:34 PM
Hey Deano, did you get wet on the Thunderbolt and why did you take it instead of the puddle jumper?
Posted By: deano Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/14/01 03:14 AM
Hi Becky.. Well Ive been traveling to san pedro for ten years in a row..Half of the fun in Belize is the people and you are more likley to find some one to chat with on the boat than another tourist on the puddle jump...thats a real fancy way to say Im a cheep skate..The "old thunderbolt" and its twin were both open mahogany skiffs about 40 ftlong quite deep and sea worthy.. They would run about 40 mph and was a dry ride so long as it wasnt raining...Sadly both were badly damaged during Keith. The new Thunderbolt is about the same size and speed but is fibreglas still fast and comfortable,but lost some of the "class" of the old one..Dont worry about getting wet.. just grab a "Mayan Raincoat" (trashbag) and blaze on...
Posted By: Marty Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/14/01 03:46 AM
Plane is ok, Thunderbolt is much funner, for me anyway.
//AmbergrisCaye.com/thunderbolt/

Even if its just a trip to Caye Caulker, hop on and tour a bit!
To clarify about muncipal and international, NO AIRLINE flying internationally to Belize continues on to muncipal (when you see the little airstrip at municipal you will understand why). Some Maya Island and Tropic flights between San Pedro and Belize City stop at both, but what you pay depends on where you originate or terminate the flight. Only flights where you board originally at muncipal or where you disembark at municipal enjoy the lower rates. In other words, you can't fly from San Pedro to international with a stop at municipal without paying the San Pedro-international fare. The savings vary from around 15 to 45% depending on destination -- I believe they still are greatest to and from San Pedro, with less of a percentage savings if you are flying to PG or Placencia.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/16/01 11:02 PM
I just recently from my 3rd trip to A/C.
1st trip paid the high price & flew Tropic Air both ways from International. Since our return flight was because we were being evacuated for Mitch, they dropped us off at the Muni airport and vanned us to International. Unfortunately our plane was taking off from Int. as we were landing at Muni.
One must have a sense of humor when you travel.
Next trip, luggage did not arrive with us so we two women left the men and took the open boat and loved it. It was a little rough and we hit a few rain cells but they pulled out a big blue tarp that we tourists covered up with -- the 1st time. Locals just sat through it.
This last trip was a riot of confusion - ended up taking boat from swing bridge - about 1/3 covered. The locals were wonderful.
I like boating to the island and flying back, as after many days of diving I've had enough of boats.
Easiest is to fly from/to International - cheapest if more than one person - Muni.
Remember - you should be having an adventure.
Posted By: casa Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/22/01 10:01 AM
Ok, I have a question...How far is muni from the international airport and how much does it cost to get there. Is is worth making the trip to save a few bucks? I would prefer to fly to AC then to take the boat, but am trying to save some cash also. Thanks for your advice...
Posted By: Axeman Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/22/01 02:30 PM
Casa, from what I've seen here and on the links at the top of the page (great maps)It's 49US each way from Muni Airport to The island...You must take a cab from the Main airport to muni. The water taxi is 1/2 as much but takes an hour. Depending when your getting in from the US it's a good bet you'll be tired and I KNOW I'll be flying just to there fast, catch the sunset, and grab a beer.
Be sure to look at all the older posts, as they have answered most of my questions.
I too am researching AC...just undecided as to when.
I'm torn between roughing it, or staying at a more equiped hotel.
Good Luck, and have a great adventure!!!!
Mark
Posted By: cindyrae Re: water taxi from Belize City - 02/22/01 08:17 PM
Becky - I was nervous about flying the puddle-jumper, too, & checked for barf bags when I got on but believe me, when you're up in the air looking down on that beautiful water,the last thing you'll think about is your stomach!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board