AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: sniknej Snake Identification - 04/26/07 06:28 AM
We just got back from our trip. We were driving on the cart path about 7 miles up from town (north) and saw a snake in front of us. It was startled once we drove closer and leaped back into the brush. I'm looking to identify it and haven't been able to find anything that related exactly.

It was brownish red in color (about the color of an earthworm) and was about 10-12 feet long. It had no saddles or stripes on it which made me wonder since it didn't look like any boa I have ever seen.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: KC Jayhawk Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 01:47 PM
Belizean leaping snake?
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 01:57 PM
Snakes of Belize from the Belize Zoo
Posted By: JZB Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 02:38 PM
I've seen snakes similar to this around my house. A uniform deep red-brown with no markings, a thick body (not like a vine snake) and its head was more shaped to its body rather than have a neck and bulbus head like a boa.
I've looked in my reptile book and on-line a bit but haven't found out what it is either.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 03:44 PM
I've sent your description to a Belize Herp expert hopefully he should be able to identify it.

S...
Posted By: elbert Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 04:09 PM
Snakes of Belize book
is a great one .
Richie Woods once published a book on Ambergris Cayes flora and Fauna. In the book he said Ambergris Caye had no poisons snakes. I believe a Real Estate agent may have given him $100. to print that.
We definitely have coral snakes and its cousin the fake coral snake. 5 years ago I killed a Yellow Jaw Tommygof Ferdalance at Mata Grande only one I've ever seen on the Island. and I'm sure I didn't spell that right.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 04:16 PM
If there was one theres gotta be more!
Posted By: TrueLover Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 04:20 PM
Thanks Elbert.

I thought there were only three. The Boa, the whip snake, and that little brown and green one. One guy told me he saw a fluer de lance about a hundred feet from my place. If I find it I'll catch it and free it near KVarners place when he gets one. Ha ha ha haaaa...
Posted By: SimonB Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 04:34 PM
While the pictures on this site are not specific to Belize many of the species are in country. There is a False Fer de Lance (Xenodon rabdocephalus) which may be present on the island along with the Fer de Lance (Yellow-Jawed Tommygoff (Bothrops asper).)

http://www.corcovado.org/biology/snakes/snake_pictures.html

Reptiles Rock!
Posted By: SimonB Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 06:03 PM
Black Tail Indigo Snake: http://www.yucatanwildlife.com/species/indigosnake.htm

"Simon,

Based mainly on the size (they seem to be sure it wasn't a vine snake), and a little on color, lack of distinct skin patterns, and habitat, I'd guess it was a blacktail indigo. To my knowledge, they are the only snakes in that area that are pretty much uniform in color (and heavy-bodied) to reach the 8 ft-plus size. But, I'm unsure if indigos occur on San Pedro. Tell them to go out and collect a specimen for us!

I've attached a photo you took of an indigo we caught at Gold Button back in 2000.

Thomas"

[Linked Image] (digital cameras have come a long way in 7 years)
Posted By: SimonB Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 06:17 PM
A better head shot of the same snake:

http://www.lagniappe-belize.com/BlackTailIndigoSnake4.jpg
Posted By: elbert Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 06:55 PM
Wow I've got a new ID from the site

http://www.corcovado.org/biology/snakes/snake_pictures.html
I've go a lot of Micrurus alleni (coral snake)around my house.
I googled it and now I'm worried.I have been dismissing it as a harmless snake and not killing them I'm sure I've seen at least ten over the five years I've been constructing my house.I've been believing that old Red and Yellow Kill a fellow tale.and he has no red or yellow.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 08:46 PM
I wouldn't worry, Coral snakes are rear fanged and have very small mouths and are also fairly timid, I've seen them handled by accident without biting. Chances of being bitten are fairly rare and having a non-dry bite even less.

"Micrurus alleni. Coral snake. If the color pattern spells frog in spanish (RANA = rojo, amarillo, negro, amarillo), then beware. Coral snakes have a very potent neuro-toxin in their venom, but will generally bite only if provoked or tred upon."

http://www.dnr.cornell.edu/edge/Field_guide_snakes.htm#Micrurus

http://www.dnr.cornell.edu/edge/022Micrurusalleni_sm.jpg
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 08:56 PM
Lets keep all snakes in Far North Ambergris...waaayyy north!!!
Maybe a snake-stopper at the bridge?
Posted By: NYgal Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 09:28 PM
Wow, they sure are pretty smile

Posted By: JZB Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 10:09 PM
I don't think my snake was a black indingo judging from the photos Simon posted. Of course it has been awhile since I seen one up close and I might be remembering it diferently, but I remember trying to see some kind of identifying marks or color pattern on it but there was absolutely none. (with the indigo snake it has the black lines on the head and the darker tail)

If we discovered a new species, can I name it???!!
Posted By: SimonB Re: Snake Identification - 04/26/07 10:58 PM
Sounds good! What's the name?
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Snake Identification - 04/27/07 03:24 AM
Far North Snake...
Posted By: NYgal Re: Snake Identification - 04/27/07 12:59 PM
smile
Posted By: JZB Re: Snake Identification - 04/27/07 03:04 PM
I was thinking maybe a cute and cuddly name. I will have to think about it....
Posted By: elbert Re: Snake Identification - 04/27/07 04:07 PM
I heard that
Posted By: Spyder Re: Snake Identification - 04/27/07 04:53 PM
One thing to remember, there are only two kinds of snakes on earth. If it has rattlers it is a rattle snake, if it doesn't, it's a cobra.
Posted By: elbert Re: Snake Identification - 04/27/07 05:20 PM
Spyder, Are you from Orangewalk?
Posted By: sniknej Re: Snake Identification - 04/27/07 08:28 PM
JZB, so there's two of us that claim to have seen one. You describe it very similarly to what we saw. I get half the naming rights as well. Let's come to conclusions on the final name.....but you can keep them in your yard as pets, I'll just be the silent naming partner. If they turn out to be a friendly snake, let me know!

So, as of yet, it doesn't look as though anyone can ID it? It didn't have any markings on the head which seems to rule out the Black Tail Indigo. Hopefully someone will have some info.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Snake Identification - 04/27/07 10:38 PM
I have a snake in my yard that I would describe as JZB did above. I'll go look for it over the weekend and take a photo. I figured he would eat any stray mice etc. that might be around. I won't be trying to make friends with it til we know what it is. Last time I looked it was about 5 ft or so in lengh.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Snake Identification - 04/27/07 10:48 PM
Hey, no snakes south of the bridge! Carry it up to Coco Loco...Linda will enjoy it.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board