AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: shuffles Bird Question - 11/03/08 01:49 AM
Walk out on the BYC pier nearly every day and just look around (out my office window!), and the last few weeks, I've noticed that out on the posts, where normally the comorants and pelicans sit, is now completely full of seagulls.......seagulls!! Normally, there is a seagull or two, here and there, and large quantities of the others.....

Is it their mating season now? Are all the comorants and pelicans back on Rosaro Caye nesting now?
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Bird Question - 11/03/08 01:59 AM
Out in front of Canucks every evening are a couple of wading birds...a white long-legged guy and a dark coloured wading guy. They seem to be happy and doing well...lots of nice bite-sized fishes
Posted By: shuffles Re: Bird Question - 11/03/08 02:07 PM
I've seen those, and a couple more between the OFarrell dock and Canucks, wading, waiting for their meals.....but I just didnt understand the replacement of the comorants and pelicans by seagulls!
Posted By: elbert Re: Bird Question - 11/03/08 03:33 PM
Parking problems :-)
the gulls migrate in (its fall)and parking becomes an issue.
meanest guy wins.
Just to attract a few birds i put up some posts in the water and attracted a kingfisher. Its safe sitting on a post over the water. dogs and cats cant get to you and you can watch for fishing opportunities undisturbed.
Posted By: shuffles Re: Bird Question - 11/03/08 03:42 PM
So the gulls "out mean" the pelicans and comorants? Where do they all go, because I haven't seen one of them out there for a week or so.....weird. Thanks Elbert.
Posted By: elbert Re: Bird Question - 11/03/08 04:33 PM
Ruder is better word.
The cormorants and pelican are still around (didn't migrate out), I think they just move to another spot on the island where the competition isn't as bad.
Rosario is packed right now
Posted By: shuffles Re: Bird Question - 11/03/08 04:35 PM
AHHH thanks Elber, I knew you could answer me. Just realized how weird it was since generally the seagulls are few and far between...then seemed like they took over.....

seagull poop, pelican poop pretty much all the same.

smile
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Bird Question - 11/12/08 07:01 PM
ah, so the gulls are like the grackles of seabirds? wink
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board