AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Transit of Venus: Last viewing for century - 06/05/12 02:42 PM

One of the rarest celestial events, the transit of Venus is happening on Tuesday. The next transit of Venus, when the planet Venus will appear as a small, dark disk moving across the face of the Sun, will begin at 22:09 Coordinated Universal time (UTC) on June 5, 2012 and will finish at 04:49 UTC on June 6. Depending on the position of the observer, the exact times can vary by �7 minutes.

For the Americas the transit is be visible on the evening of Tuesday, June 5. For Eurasia and Africa, the latter part of the transit will be seen the morning of June 6. Transits of Venus are among the rarest of predictable celestial phenomena and occur in pairs eight years apart: the previous transit was in June of 2004. If you miss seeing the far-off planet crossing in front of the sun, you might be out of luck: it won't happen again until December 2117 and December 2125.

PlusTV

I know that everyone knows that Belize time is unique - but - hey - give us a guess at when those of us here on the island should risk our eye sight by looking at the sun!
...so what's that, 5:00 pm local time here in Belize? Good day to watch the sunset on the back side of the island.

...wear a welder's mask.
I found this link -4.05pm til about 6.28pm - pinhole in a piece of card?? I did have some eclipse glasses a few years ago for an eclipse in turkey, but sadly they weren't on my "must pack" list when coming to belize. Just shows what good planning can yield.... come with a beer to our rooftop at 4o'clock - we'll be up there with some card and a few pins!!

transit of venus in belize timings
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Transit of Venus: Last viewing for century - 06/05/12 10:32 PM
If the skies remain clear, will watch it through my sextant. I think the minimum recommended filter is a Welder's #14.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board