AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Thetruebelize Care of Wildlife - 11/05/13 12:33 AM
Need advise...

Apparently my love of animals has been noticed so a pair of construction workers brought me 4 baby raccoons today. They are about 5 weeks old and definitely still need care. I know the best thing would be for me to put them back where they were found so that the mom can take care of them but unfortunately they were found in a condo vent that is under construction now so that is not an option. And it was either me taking them off their hands or they were going to put them down.

Is there anywhere on San Pedro that takes in these animals for care? So far SAGA is my only option but was wondering if there is a different place.

PS I already checked with ACES (croc peeps) and they don't take them.

Thank you
Posted By: Wizardofaahs Re: Care of Wildlife - 11/05/13 02:17 AM
Belize Wildlife Conservation Network on the mainland will take them, rehab them and return them to the wild. They have a Facebook page. Isabelle will help arrange getting them to the mainland. She has a great network of people who can assist. Send her a PM. I will also see if I can make contact with a couple people.
Posted By: collyk Re: Care of Wildlife - 11/05/13 02:21 AM
Belize Wildlife Conservation Network is a network of groups and individuals working in wildlife conservation in Belize. They are not a rehab organisation. There is no organisation in Belize that will accept or rehab raccoons for a number of reasons.
Posted By: Rigrat Re: Care of Wildlife - 11/05/13 11:31 AM
Far better to euthanise unfortunately. As Collette said there is nobody in the network licenced to take in Racoons.
Racoons grow up to be solitary and so will not tolerate other racoons. They imprint on humans really quickly and so are well nigh impossible to rehab. They are strong vectors for roundworm, distemper and rabies, which can be caught by you or your dog. They are hugely destructive and inquisitive, and nearly always bite when startled or treated roughly.
They are not endangered. They live up to 15 years and would need constant attention, don't do well at all in cages, mark everywhere with anal and wrist glands, moult horribly once a year.
Far far better to have been left with their mum, who would have relocated them if encouraged to do so. Sad, but take them to the vet and have them put down if they can't be returned to their mother. :-(
Posted By: Thetruebelize Re: Care of Wildlife - 11/05/13 02:52 PM
Rigrat

I agree I rather they be put down humanely. We tried to reunite them with their mom and it didn't work.

Thanks
Posted By: Thetruebelize Re: Care of Wildlife - 11/05/13 04:56 PM
Update...ACES took them...yay
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board